PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out fly speed

NimbleNZ
2011-10-26, 08:17 AM
Hi,
I'm making a thri-kreen character and i want it to be able to fly as fast as possible.

i need people's help to check that I'm not breaking the rules here.

base speed: 40 ft + 10 ft (barb fast movement) + 10 ft (quick trait) + 10 ft (boots of striding and springing) = 70 ft.

i have a fiendish graft that allows me to fly at double my base speed with average maneuverability, so:

fly speed: 70 ft x2 = 140 ft

add the air heritage feat for another 30 ft making it 170 ft.

so now on a charge would the whole lot be doubled for 340 ft?

if I've done anything that's against the rules could people please point it out foe me.

thanks in advance :)

NimbleNZ

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-26, 11:08 AM
Hi,
I'm making a thri-kreen character and i want it to be able to fly as fast as possible.

i need people's help to check that I'm not breaking the rules here.

base speed: 40 ft + 10 ft (barb fast movement) + 10 ft (quick trait) + 10 ft (boots of striding and springing) = 70 ft.

i have a fiendish graft that allows me to fly at double my base speed with average maneuverability, so:

fly speed: 70 ft x2 = 140 ft

add the air heritage feat for another 30 ft making it 170 ft.

so now on a charge would the whole lot be doubled for 340 ft?

if I've done anything that's against the rules could people please point it out foe me.

thanks in advance :)

NimbleNZ

I may be wrong but "base speed" means what you have naturally. Quick adds to the bases speed, you use 50 ft as your base speed for the graft, for 100 ft for fly. Depending on the wording of the other abilities or items they may not enhance fly speed. Your Fast Movement should boost both (it doesn't specify) but your boots won't as it calls out land speed but doesn't increase your base speed.

I can't comment on the Air Heritage feat, as I don't know where to find it.

Hope this helps.

nedz
2011-10-26, 05:23 PM
According to the PH: Barbarian Fast Movement only increases Land Speed.

nedz
2011-10-26, 05:33 PM
Air Heritage is from the Planer Handbook and adds 30' to your fly speed BUT requires you to have a fly speed as a racial ability, which you don't.

nedz
2011-10-26, 05:45 PM
Consider the Half Fey Inherited Template from FF.

Now unless this has been erratered or something: This gives you a Fly speed equal to twice the base creatures fastest mode of movement (FF pp 89-90) which is more like it. And it sounds just like a racial fly speed.

The template is +2 LA, but you do get all kinds of other goodies.

So a Half-Fey Thri-Keen might be what you are looking for.

NimbleNZ
2011-10-26, 07:04 PM
Consider the Half Fey Inherited Template from FF.

Now unless this has been erratered or something: This gives you a Fly speed equal to twice the base creatures fastest mode of movement (FF pp 89-90) which is more like it. And it sounds just like a racial fly speed.

The template is +2 LA, but you do get all kinds of other goodies.

So a Half-Fey Thri-Keen might be what you are looking for.

awesome ill check that out, thanks a bunch nedz :)

NimbleNZ
2011-10-26, 07:11 PM
I may be wrong but "base speed" means what you have naturally. Quick adds to the bases speed, you use 50 ft as your base speed for the graft, for 100 ft for fly. Depending on the wording of the other abilities or items they may not enhance fly speed. Your Fast Movement should boost both (it doesn't specify) but your boots won't as it calls out land speed but doesn't increase your base speed.

I can't comment on the Air Heritage feat, as I don't know where to find it.

Hope this helps.

That's a shame about the boots but thanks once again Mesi for the help! :)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-26, 09:32 PM
Another pro tip, when you want to quote multiple people, there is a little quotation mark next to the "quote" button. Hit the quotation marks on everybody you want to quote so they are green. Then hit post response. All the posts you tagged will be seperatly quoted in the order you hit the buttons.

@Ned: I looked at SRD and it did not specify which speed it applies to but I'm AFB to double check my hard copy.

NimbleNZ
2011-10-27, 12:19 AM
Another pro tip, when you want to quote multiple people, there is a little quotation mark next to the "quote" button. Hit the quotation marks on everybody you want to quote so they are green. Then hit post response. All the posts you tagged will be seperatly quoted in the order you hit the buttons.

@Ned: I looked at SRD and it did not specify which speed it applies to but I'm AFB to double check my hard copy.

ah thanks i was wondering how that worked!

as for the half-fey, it gets wings and "gains a fly speed equal to twice the
base creature’s fastest mode of movement, with good maneuverability".\

so i guess thats its means its fastest burrow/swin/land speed; in my case it will be the fastest land speed.