PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Choosing things advice needed.

Krazzman
2011-10-26, 09:13 AM
Hello again playground,

I took myself some time and hope we will finally start that damned campaign soon. And I want to get a bit deeper with the "basics" than just a Wizard casts Fireball every round. Or a Cleric being titulated as Healbot...

So once again, I come here to ask for some (read as: "quite a massive load") advice. For some things I enjoy and want to play.

I ask for opinions and likes, not just mathematically calculated bests.

Caster/Half-Caster:

Bard: Since I would like to play a Bard in that upcoming (hopefully) campaign I asked myself for going to be a Dragon Disciple: "What spells could I choose" and my first thought while reading the spell list was: "It's a Trap".
So do you have any favours for a Bard that starts with maximum 14 Cha. What spells do you prefer for a melee-bard?

Clerics: First of: I love clerics. They are just my favourite class after the rogue. Since they can be Melee and still cast a lot. (Yes after clerics my most favourite classes are Warlock and Gishes...) But somehow I don't get the true Optimization/Munchkinry grip on them.
No, I don't want to abuse them but again I couldn't get a good view about the spell list. Of whats a good spell? Which one is Bad?
Another point coming from Pathfinder (Since I liked Kelemvor and Cyric as gods in Faerun I didn't have any problems) I can't tell which Domains are good and which are bad and whats about the gods? I tryed a Healbot in Pathfinder, which was...boring.
TL;DR:Opinions about Gods? Domains? Feats? Stat priority for a melee Cleric or a Fullcaster [being mostly supportive]. Variants(PF only)

Druids: like the cleric: gods, domains? Variants(PF only)

Warlock:
Warlocks are pretty damn cool, but somehow I think most people dislike him for having too few invocations, too small damage on eldritch blast...etc. But what Invocations do you like most/are good for a beginner? (I thought about the true seeing and miss chance + flee the scene, fell flight and so on for most survivability and later edwards black "fantasy" and such things for "fun") But what feats do you think are good for him? Which feats should work and whats your opinion to this class?

Wizards:
The wizard, aka the god, is one of the few classes I played some times but thought: meh...
Of course he has some pretty damn nice spells, but with them being limited and prepared in advance...I somehow feel lost if I don't play a blaster...what is a waste of capability.
So far I played a Evocation Wizard that got a "High-Five" from Talos while not being my patron deity...
A Fire Mage (UE Variant) and a Necromancer (UE Variant) and till both died I enjoyed them. But for christs sake if I dare to play a "normal" non-blaster wizard.
Despite the fact that most of my wizards died in the early levels due to... lets say pointy thing in fleshy thing...I would like to ask for some advice in what Spells are Perfect/Good/Bad/"OH-god-stay-away-from-this" and how to actually play this out (tactics, Stat distribution and so on).
TL;DR:
What spells on what level and how to use them?
Other viable tactics?
What feats are good?
Which Variants are better? (PF only)

Other:What other classes are there that take up a role better than the mentioned? Or class combinations? Prestige Classes? Or even complete builds.

Martial:

Rogue/Ninja:
Oh now this is one thing that irks me. The Rogue (mostly going the assassin type) is my favourite but sometimes I think i just choose the wrong feats. So, what feat chains do you prefer on your rogue? What Tricks do you use to get your sneak attack to things immune to it(pathfinder made this obsolete^^) What Rogue Talents would you advice (Pathfinder only) and would you play as a Ninja themed character: Ninja or Rogue? Again for both ,Ninja or Rogue,:How would you distribute Stats, two weapon fighting? melee/range and so on).

Ranger:
I like the Ranger in Pathfinder. But in 3.5 I always thought about him as....meh. Just like the Paladin. I somehow dislike them both in 3.5 but like them in Pathfinder. Maybe this one stems from the feat selection and how in Pathfinder you have less feats but still enough.
Whats your opinion? Pathfinder Feat selection for Paladin and Ranger better? Which ones would you choose in 3.5? Which ones in PF?

Barbarian:
He makes Waaargh and smashes things, whats not to like in that concept? But somehow again for melees like the barbarian there is just the role as uber-charger in my eyes. everything else is "inferior" if you have to be the DPR bringer. But what other feats would you choose? Would you still try to make a ubercharger in pathfinder are there other "build"/Feat-chains that bring more versatility while bringing more damage?

Hope you can help me...again.