View Full Version : 3.5 Druid AC Question

Diarmuid
2011-10-26, 11:03 AM
If a druid of 4th level or higher chooses an AC from the Alternative AC list, his druid level is considered lower for purposes of determining the Ac bonuses. Could a 6th level Druid offset the -3 by taking natural bond if he wanted an alternative AC? The feat normally says your druid level cannot exceed your character level, unsure of how they would interact.

Eldest
2011-10-26, 11:05 AM
I think Natural Bond is intended as a boost to your animal companion.

Edit: just realized you meant animal companion, not Armor... whatever the C is.

Talya
2011-10-26, 11:08 AM
If a druid of 4th level or higher chooses an AC from the Alternative AC list, his druid level is considered lower for purposes of determining the Ac bonuses. Could a 6th level Druid offset the -3 by taking natural bond if he wanted an alternative AC? The feat normally says your druid level cannot exceed your character level, unsure of how they would interact.

By RAW, yes. Natural Bond raises your effective druid level by +3, up to a maximum of your current hit dice. Taking an alternative animal companion lowers your effective druid level by -X, natural bond does offset this.

In practice, always check with your DM. Despite being the weakest of the druid's three big class features, some people consider boosting your animal companion this way the epitome of cheese --Warbeast training notwithstanding.

Diarmuid
2011-10-26, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. I figured it would work, just wanted to double check.

Here's another AC related question: AC's get Natural Armor bonuses, can they benefit from spells like barkskin or the Bite of the ** line of spells that grant enhancement bonuses to NA? Or would they simply get whichever was better?

I'm leaning towards them stacking much like Armor with a Magic Vestment spell cast on it.

Talya
2011-10-26, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. I figured it would work, just wanted to double check.

Here's another AC related question: AC's get Natural Armor bonuses, can they benefit from spells like barkskin or the Bite of the ** line of spells that grant enhancement bonuses to NA? Or would they simply get whichever was better?

I'm leaning towards them stacking much like Armor with a Magic Vestment spell cast on it.

The enhancement bonus provided by barkskin stacks with the target’s natural armor bonus, but not with other enhancement bonuses to natural armor. A creature without natural armor has an effective natural armor bonus of +0.

Druid companions do not get enhancement bonuses to natural armor, so barkskin would stack.

I don't have spell compendium handy at present to check the "bite of the were[beast]" spells.

Snowbluff
2011-10-26, 07:40 PM
By RAW, yes. Natural Bond raises your effective druid level by +3, up to a maximum of your current hit dice. Taking an alternative animal companion lowers your effective druid level by -X, natural bond does offset this.

In practice, always check with your DM. Despite being the weakest of the druid's three big class features, some people consider boosting your animal companion this way the epitome of cheese --Warbeast training notwithstanding.

That is not how I would interpret it. +3 -3= 0, so your Druid level for AniC (with a Druid level -3) would be equal to your hit die. Otherwise, this feat has no practical benefit, unless you are taking a non-AniC scaling class.

EDIT: Though, in hindsight, when my DM wasn't complaing about my OP AC, or casting, he was complaining about my completely overpowered fleshraker companion. IN all fairness, using a AniC is completely broken itself. Some fights I'd just let it fight while I saved my spells. To avoid butthurt, I wouldn't do anything to increase AniC effectiveness.

Talya
2011-10-27, 11:51 AM
That is not how I would interpret it. +3 -3= 0, so your Druid level for AniC (with a Druid level -3) would be equal to your hit die. Otherwise, this feat has no practical benefit, unless you are taking a non-AniC scaling class.

That's what I said.