PDA

View Full Version : Kirby: Return to Dreamland

Deth Muncher
2011-10-26, 11:34 AM
So, this just came out. Don't listen to Kotaku - get this game. This is the game that was originally announced for the Game Cube, got canned, and then revived for the Wii. It's worth the 6 year wait. It's classic Kirby platforming at its finest, in the vein of Superstar or the old Dremland games. He's got some new hats this time around (which I'll try to list soon), as well as Dedede, Waddle-Dee and Metaknight as playable buddies for co-op play. Without spoiling too much (what? Kirby games have plot?), in each level you're looking for little secret-y things. You find certain numbers of them, you unlock bonus stuff, be it Copy Ability rooms, challenge maps (where you'll have one power and have to complete the level under a certain time, collect coins, etc), minigames that you can play solo or with your friends a la Superstar.

Difficulty level of this game is questionable. It's a Kirby game, so it's not like there's going to be anything more than the most basic puzzles, and most enemies die in one or two hits of a special ability, with bosses obviously taking more, but I guess it's easier to say that there are some difficult parts, but this isn't a hard game. Make sense?

The other big thing they added in on this is Super Copy Abilities - basically, if you see a Super Baddy, you kill him, you eat him, you get a suped up version of that normal power, which lets you cut through the environment so you can find a Rift (I have no idea if that's what the game calls them, but that's what it is) to jump through, which puts you in a slight time trial, then gives you a miniboss to fight which coughs up two of the secret-y things upon defeat.

This is fun. I just wish I had friends to play it with.

EDIT: Thus far, I've found:
-Sword Kirby. Plays like Link. You get a whirlwind attack, you get the up-B move from Smash Brothers, you get Metaknight's multislash, you shoot a beam at full health.
-Leaf Kirby. New hat! Kirby used Razor Leaf! It's super effective. Also, you can shoot the Razor Leaf in any direction, and I think become a leaf storm.
-Beam Kirby. Just like Superstar. The only new addition is if you mash 2 (since it plays with the Wiimote sideways) while in the air you can just do a continuous 360 beam whip.
-Water Kirby. This one's new, though I think it was used in the Right Back At Ya! series. You can spit bursts of water, bodysurf with your dash attack, shoot a pillar of water straight up. Also cools off lava blocks.
-Whip Kirby. It appears as though Kirby has visited a rodeo. If you played Earthworm Jim, it's kind of like that. Whip in all directions, plus a few neat combo whips if you mash the buttons or do a down-up-2.
-Needle Kirby. You're spiky. You stick to things. You get a Rollout dash attack. Also, if you shake the Wiimote (something you do when eating things to consume bigger things), you can shoot spikes.
-Spark Kirby. This one actually combines the traditional Spark Kirby with Plasma Kirby from Superstar - so your normal attack is a self-centered AOE, but shaking the Wiimote or pressing the D-Pad charges it up so you can shoot Plasma Arrows, Plasma Beams or the ultimate Plasma Burst attack.
-Tornado Kirby. Pretty sure this one is new, but used in the show as well. Become a whirlwind - think Metaknight from Smash Bros. Also, dash attack for a sideways tornado, and shake the Wiimote for a super tornado. Also, you can shoot air up or down.
-Fire Kirby. Same as always.
-Hammer Kirby. Hammer does everything it's always done, but has a charged-up version for a triple hit.
-Rock Kirby. Just like always, but with a new ROCK UPPERCUT move. Suddenly, Rock is truly offensive.
-Parasol Kirby. Just like always.
-Bomb Kirby. Basically just like always - you can roll the bombs as a dash attack, set them down, or chuck them.
-Cutter Kirby. Basically just like always. You can adjust the direction of the cutter, and charge it up for a super strong one.
-Ice Kirby. Pretty much just like in days of old, with a new Dash+Down+1 ability to make him into a giant ice ball. Also cools off lava bricks like Water.
-Spear Kirby. One I don't think I've seen before, lets you poke people with a spear. Works similar to the Parasol/Hammer/Sword, but with an added neat ability that lets you helicopter with it.
-Crash Kirby. Just like in Superstar, but you can shake the controller for a Supernova effect. Also, it doesn't auto-trigger - you can hang on to the charge as long as you hold down 1. Also, it comes with a cool hat this time, instead of you just flashing.
-Fighter Kirby. Basically like Superstar, but also with more kick related things instead of just punches. Also a Hadoken, with various levels of charging.
-Mike Kirby. Just like Superstar, with the added Encore ability to the third use (shake the controller for added effect.)
-Ninja Kirby. This one's got a few differences - in addition to the down kick in midair and the kunai throwing, you also get a number of next-to-the-enemy moves, as well as Blossom Storm (an AOE) and a smokescreen, as well as being able to slash with a ninja-to.
-Hi-Jump Kirby. Just like Superstar.
-Wing Kirby. Lots of dash attack shenanigans, both in the air and on the ground.

Sipex
2011-10-26, 12:58 PM
This is definitely on my 'do want' list, it looks really good.

Also, tornado kirby is a classic! He's from the original Kirby's Adventure on the NES.

Deth Muncher
2011-10-26, 05:23 PM
This is definitely on my 'do want' list, it looks really good.

Also, tornado kirby is a classic! He's from the original Kirby's Adventure on the NES.

I have brought great dishonor to my family. :smallfrown: I never actually played a Kirby game before SNES.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-10-26, 06:53 PM

I'm pretty sure it was also in Nightmare in Dreamland and Amazing Mirror... maybe Squeak Squad too.

Geno9999
2011-10-26, 07:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it was also in Nightmare in Dreamland and Amazing Mirror... maybe Squeak Squad too.

Nightmare in Dreamland is a remake of Kirby's Adventure.
Though I really like their trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1M7kJASyoQ) for it, not to say that the original (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozPkEBhFzuw) wasn't awesome in it's own way either.

OracleofWuffing
2011-10-26, 07:28 PM
It was in Kirby's Dream Course, too. :smalltongue:

-Fire Kirby. Same as always.
Are fire (stand still, spit fire) and burning (Dash forward invincibly) separate abilities in this game, combined abilities, or is one missing this time around?

Eh, either way, this game's on my "to get" list. How do the multiplayer characters play? Do they just not get abilities and just have standard attacks?

Deth Muncher
2011-10-26, 10:19 PM
It was in Kirby's Dream Course, too. :smalltongue:

Are fire (stand still, spit fire) and burning (Dash forward invincibly) separate abilities in this game, combined abilities, or is one missing this time around?

Eh, either way, this game's on my "to get" list. How do the multiplayer characters play? Do they just not get abilities and just have standard attacks?

Standing is spit fire (which you can draw back in to you to make you be on fire), and the dash ability is the invincible flame. So yes, they're all under the same hat.

Also, here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/935607-kirbys-return-to-dreamland/videos/gs_video-6334791)'s a good intro video.

Eakin
2011-10-28, 01:20 PM
Skyward Sword wasn't going to get me to dust off my wii and hook it up again, but this might.

What's the length/replay value on this? Is it a game you can blow through in a weekend or is there enough content to last for a while? Might be one for gamefly rather than purchase

Deth Muncher
2011-10-28, 03:10 PM
Skyward Sword wasn't going to get me to dust off my wii and hook it up again, but this might.

What's the length/replay value on this? Is it a game you can blow through in a weekend or is there enough content to last for a while? Might be one for gamefly rather than purchase

Well, I haven't beaten the game, and I've been playing through for a good few hours every night since Tuesday. I will say, though, that I've not played through each level more than twice to get all the hidden things. It has a good difficulty curve though - I'm on the fifth sub-world on Pop Star, and the game has gone from mind-numbingly easy to somewhat challenging - in the typical "we'll punish you if you don't watch for clues" kind of way Kirby does so well.

EDIT: In case you're wondering %-wise, I'm 50% through.

ALSO, regarding replayability - there are a number of challenge maps and multiplayer games. Just FYI.

Seerow
2011-10-28, 03:16 PM
Nightmare in Dreamland is a remake of Kirby's Adventure.

Huh, really? I had Nightmare in Dreamland on the NES, why would a remake of a game have come out that early?

Geno9999
2011-10-28, 03:27 PM
Huh, really? I had Nightmare in Dreamland on the NES, why would a remake of a game have come out that early?

Nightmare in Dreamland is the name of the remake on the GBA, Kirby's Adventure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby%27s_Adventure) was the original title on the NES. Why the name change, I don't know.

Seerow
2011-10-28, 03:31 PM
Nightmare in Dreamland is the name of the remake on the GBA, Kirby's Adventure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby%27s_Adventure) was the original title on the NES. Why the name change, I don't know.

I could have sworn the copy I had for NES actually was called Nightmare in Dreamland. Unfortunately I've long since sold all those games so I can't go back and check, and google is turning up nothing for me except confirming what you say.

Which is really weird because I never actually tried the GBA remake, yet NIDL was the name I recognize. *shrug*

Pokonic
2011-10-28, 04:35 PM
I must say, the last time I used my wii was to play Super Paper Mario. ( A great game, by the way.)

This might just make me use it a little.:smallbiggrin:

OracleofWuffing
2011-10-28, 06:13 PM
Which is really weird because I never actually tried the GBA remake, yet NIDL was the name I recognize. *shrug*
Well, the GBA remake did have a catchy theme song in its commercial, maybe you heard it more or paid more attention to it?

Deth Muncher
2011-10-28, 11:46 PM
My advice to you guys - experiment with your powers. Seriously. I keep finding new abilities on each power, and yes, I do check the instructions in the pause screen. Sometimes you've just gotta do the button inputs randomly to find things out.

Deth Muncher
2011-11-02, 10:30 PM
So I beat Kirby today. Well...sort of. I found all the gears you have to find (again, I never played a level more than twice to do so), and beat the final boss - but apparently to get a true 100% for the main mode, you have to play all the challenge maps at least once. So okay.

But...then there's Arena Mode. And apparently, if you beat Arena Mode, you get another Arena Mode. And if you beat that, you get to play as any character in the arena modes.

Ho. Mah gawd. Cannot wait.

EDIT: Apparently, there's an Extra mode as well, which makes all the enemies tougher, you have less health, the Super Copy Powers last vastly less time, and the time-attack Other Dimension bits are severely sped up. Iiiiiinteresting.

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-02, 11:39 PM
:smallconfused: Um... Hi-Jump Kirby wasn't in Superstar... Unless that's the joke, and my not playing the game yet is preventing me from getting it. :smalltongue: It's football season, so I'm contemplating tearing the Wii away from the main TV and installing it elsewhere just so I can remedy that.

Deth Muncher
2011-11-03, 12:44 AM
:smallconfused: Um... Hi-Jump Kirby wasn't in Superstar... Unless that's the joke, and my not playing the game yet is preventing me from getting it. :smalltongue: It's football season, so I'm contemplating tearing the Wii away from the main TV and installing it elsewhere just so I can remedy that.

What? Yes he was. Hi-Jump Kirby totally was. You could get it in Great Cave Offensive.

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-03, 10:56 AM
Nope (http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Star#Copy_Abilities), Hi-Jump was in Adventure (and Nightmare in Dream Land), Dream Course, and Sqeak Squad (Adventure). And this game, apparently.

...Maybe you're thinking of the Screw Attack?:smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2011-11-03, 12:41 PM
Nope (http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Star#Copy_Abilities), Hi-Jump was in Adventure (and Nightmare in Dream Land), Dream Course, and Sqeak Squad (Adventure). And this game, apparently.

...Maybe you're thinking of the Screw Attack?:smalltongue:

-brain implosion- The world has been retconned...I so vividly remember Hi-Jump in that game...but I also had Nightmare in Dreamland on the GBA, so it was probably just that.

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-05, 01:49 PM
Finally got around to playing! :smalltongue: There is something very ironic with how easy it is to kill Whispy Woods with the Leaf.