PDA

View Full Version : PC Power Levels!

Mirakk
2011-10-26, 12:04 PM
I guess I wanted to gain some perspective from others on the relative power of my campaigns. I've always had a rule that you can have up to 2 base classes, and 1 PrC on a character. I also allow you to take Racial Paragon levels without penalty.

But I see lots of people using builds with like 8 different classes all taking 1-3 level dips to maximize their character. I guess I just wanted to see how prevalent this practice is.

This goes along the same lines, but I try to minimize itemization a bit as well. Players don't typically get +1 weapons until around level 4, and at level 9 they're just beginning to get +1 weapons with Flaming/Defending etc properties. However, I've had open bar on alchemical items, scrolls, wands, potions etc for characters who want to spend their gold there. The party members each have around 20,000gp of items on them, but ones that have been faithful to their character and received NPC rewards of vast power have higher itemization for their bravery etc.

Am I holding my players back? What's the relative rules for multiclassing you use, and how crazy do you go on the magic items?

SamBurke
2011-10-26, 12:12 PM
I guess I wanted to gain some perspective from others on the relative power of my campaigns. I've always had a rule that you can have up to 2 base classes, and 1 PrC on a character. I also allow you to take Racial Paragon levels without penalty.

But I see lots of people using builds with like 8 different classes all taking 1-3 level dips to maximize their character. I guess I just wanted to see how prevalent this practice is.

This goes along the same lines, but I try to minimize itemization a bit as well. Players don't typically get +1 weapons until around level 4, and at level 9 they're just beginning to get +1 weapons with Flaming/Defending etc properties. However, I've had open bar on alchemical items, scrolls, wands, potions etc for characters who want to spend their gold there. The party members each have around 20,000gp of items on them, but ones that have been faithful to their character and received NPC rewards of vast power have higher itemization for their bravery etc.

Am I holding my players back? What's the relative rules for multiclassing you use, and how crazy do you go on the magic items?

I love the Pathfinder method: sure, multi class is free... but do you really want to? LOOK AT THAT CAPSTONE. Staying in one class for 20 gets you some nice stuff in a good number of cases (Sorc, Oracle, and Summoner, for example, don't need to multi class, and it's better if they don't). If a player wants to go a certain route, then he can.

SamBurke
2011-10-26, 12:14 PM

I love the Pathfinder method: sure, multi class is free... but do you really want to? LOOK AT THAT CAPSTONE. Staying in one class for 20 gets you some nice stuff in a good number of cases (Sorc, Oracle, and Summoner, for example, don't need to multi class, and it's better if they don't). If a player wants to go a certain route, then he can.

SamBurke
2011-10-26, 12:15 PM

Callyn
2011-10-26, 12:46 PM
That hurts melee types much more than it hurts casters, like most "fixes" for multiclassing or wealth by level. Melee types want to jump around and get abilities that let them matter, casters are generally fine with just the base class and a PrC.

DeAnno
2011-10-26, 10:17 PM
Aye. Because of the way 3.5e is built melee types benefit much more from generous loot and heavy multiclassing, so even though it seems like you're cutting down on cheese by preventing these things all you're doing is raising the incentive to give up on classes below Tier 2.