PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Zen Archer Ninja build help

bugburr
2011-10-26, 02:43 PM
The build I'm working on is Zen Archer Monk 6/Ninja 14.
I'm still trying to decide what feats and talents to take.

I definitely want deadly range (maybe multiple times) and stealthy sniper talents, and I think unarmed combat mastery will be good with the monk's ki arrows ability. I also want smoke bomb, vanishing trick, and fast stealth, since I like the idea of throwing a smoke bomb, turning invisible, and running silently away if I get in a bad situation.

From monk, I get perfect strike, weapon focus, point blank master, and weapon specialization as free feats. I also get 3 bonus feats: I was thinking point-blank, precise, and focused shot. The only other feats I want are bullseye shot and clustered shots, which I can't take until level 8 and 9 because of BAB. I can take my other feats as extra talents (since there are a lot of fun ones), but not until level 7, or extra ki, but not until level 4. What can I do as my other two feats. I also get two traits, but don't know what to pick.

One last thing - is there a way to make a strength penalty not affect damage with a bow?
Any other suggestions are also welcome.

SamBurke
2011-10-26, 02:47 PM
Guided weapon enhancement gives attack and damage to wis, not strength, but it is from an AP, so it might not be allowed by your DM.

Psyren
2011-10-26, 02:48 PM
Is 3.5 material allowed? Recall that PF Ninjas use Charisma, not Wisdom, so you're making yourself MAD unless you can swap your monk abilities over to that.

Alternatively, you can use the 3.5 Ninja (which uses Wisdom, but is much weaker otherwise.)

stack
2011-10-26, 03:31 PM
Zen archer already gets wisdom to attack with bows, so guided is less of a worry. Is there any way you can get out of the strength penalty? What are your stats?

Frozen_Feet
2011-10-26, 03:50 PM
Is 3.5 material allowed? Recall that PF Ninjas use Charisma, not Wisdom, so you're making yourself MAD unless you can swap your monk abilities over to that.

From what I recall from reading PF Ninja, when multiclassing to other classes with a Ki Pool, you can choose which ability to use in determining your Ki. (A one-time, irreversible choice.)

Psyren
2011-10-26, 03:56 PM
From what I recall from reading PF Ninja, when multiclassing to other classes with a Ki Pool, you can choose which ability to use in determining your Ki. (A one-time, irreversible choice.)

Ah, I missed that line. It doesn't appear to change the ability you use for save DCs though, so any of those would still use Cha. (e.g. Assassinate.)

bugburr
2011-10-26, 04:35 PM
Guided weapon enhancement gives attack and damage to wis, not strength, but it is from an AP, so it might not be allowed by your DM.
Does Guided even work on ranged weapons? It specifically says wisdom replaces strength, not dexterity. Anyways, I already get wisdom to hit, and with focused shot, intelligence to damage within 30 ft.

Zen archer already gets wisdom to attack with bows, so guided is less of a worry. Is there any way you can get out of the strength penalty? What are your stats?
Well I don't have any stats yet, as I don't have a particular game for the character yet (just keeping him in reserve, I guess). But I have no need for strength besides the penalty to the bow, so if I could somehow bring it below 10 without hurting my to hit and damage, that would be best.

Paul H
2011-10-26, 06:48 PM
Hi

Not entirely sure what specific major benefits Ninja would give over Zen Archer's Flurry with a Bow, except, perhaps Sneak Attack.

Have you considered Synthesist/Zen Archer?

As Human, starter stats: Str 13 Dex 13 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 18 Cha 12
As 2nd lvl Synthesist: Str 17 Dex 15 Con 13 Int 10 Wis 20 Cha 12

You have Full BAB whilst 'wearing' Eidolon. +4 Nat AC, Darkvision & Evasion. (You lose monk's evasion as Zen Archer). You have 28 Hp (Base, no feats), plus spells like Mage Armour, PFE, Shield, etc. (You can keep Wis 18 and increase Con for more HP if needed).

You can use the Heirloom Wpn to be proficient with a non-exotic bow. Just upgrade to Might Comp Bow for your srength at 3rd lvl. (ZA level 1). You also qualify for the Arcane Strike feat, which makes all of your attacks magical, with a CL based damage bonus. (+1 at this level).

I'm thinking of using this build in the PFS campaign

Thanks
Paul H
Edit: I'd also take these feats: PBS & Arcane Strike at 1st lvl, Deadly Aim at 3rd. (Pwr Attack with bow). At 5th lvl I'd take Toughness.
Bonus Zen Archer feats: Precise Shot & Dodge.

bugburr
2011-10-27, 11:16 AM
Well I really like the ninja talents, as well as the sneak attack. Also, I wanted to use ki powers a lot, and the levels of monk and ninja stack for that. I'm not really looking for a spell caster with this build.
But what I really want help with is the feats and talents. I was looking at the wall climber and unbound steps talents, and while they seem fun, I'm trying to decide if they would actually be useful. Maybe ghost step would be better than unbound steps. Are there any feats I should take besides what I already listed? I actually decided that bullseye shot isn't as useful as I thought it was, so I might not get it.