PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]: Best gestalt combo of low tier classes?

deuxhero
2011-10-26, 06:44 PM
The tier system for classes (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5293) suggests letting low tier classes be gestalted with another class. What does everyone think are good combos in such a system?

Obvious you aren't going to be reaching tier 2 this way (though if you can somehow, I'd be interested to know)

Dread Necromancer//Warrior makes good use of the DN's self healing to be a good tank.

Wildshape Ranger//Adept (or Gleaner) is a mini druid on a great chaise. If you abuse the fact that a Gestalt is technically one class with the strengths of both instead of two classes at once (thus Adept spell slots are "ranger" spell slots), Sword of the Arcane order use MAY get you into low tier 2 and a DMG upside the head.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-26, 06:44 PM
I'm a fan of Soulborn//Soulknife, myself.

Hirax
2011-10-26, 06:49 PM
Well, define low tier, and how are you going to treat prestige classes? The tier 5/6 side is going to mean nothing because someone could simply do this:

T3caster//Paladin of tyranny or slaughter2/humanparagon3/urpriest

Suddenly they've got the full cleric spell list, turn attempts for DMM and other shenanigans, and plenty of utility spells and abilities from beguiler or dread necro.

deuxhero
2011-10-26, 06:52 PM
As the tier system for class defines them.

As for PRCs, it could always take the Tier System for PRCs (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5198) literally for gestalt or disable it when prcing. Thus Ur-Preist from Paladin of Tyranny is t3 (so NPC classes only on the other side), and has a normal Ur-Preist build with some minor arcane casting.

The idea isn't legal anyways, as Paladin of Tyranny isn't an NPC class.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-26, 06:55 PM
Warlock//Shadowcaster is a lot of fun.

CW Samurai//Fighter is good up to around level 10. Then the abilities rather wane. However, Zhent + Mass Staredown + Imperious Command = good times. Swift-action area-effect lockdown is good.

Monk//Pal/Crusader is fun.

Hirax
2011-10-26, 07:03 PM
The idea isn't legal anyways, as Paladin of Tyranny isn't an NPC class.

I don't see where it was mentioned that the second class needs to be an NPC class, but it matters little for the point I was making, that you need to restrict prestige classes heavily to make any sort of tier guidelines work. Sub paladin for warrior to get feats instead of divine grace and little changes.

As I've posted in other threads though, don't waste time on tier restrictions. They're overly broad and are going to shut out more options than they need to. You could create an effective list of exceptions and rules to manage power if you wanted to sit down and write such a novel, but it's always going to be more productive just talk things over with your players and get them on the same page as far as power. That way nobody needs to maneuver around houserules in a system that's a rule quagmire already.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-26, 07:08 PM
Assuming you mean "Option #2: Partial Gestalt," put Adept with any Tier 3-4 class that can afford a decent Wis score. Don't forget about Improved Familiar (DMG and CW versions).

hex0
2011-10-26, 09:42 PM
Fighter//Monk, because full bab is dandy. Crushing strike. Preferably kensai variant fighter, too.

Psyren
2011-10-26, 10:08 PM
Rogue//Lurk - sneak attack and psionic sneak attack explicitly stack. The Lurk's augments (and powers) shore up numerous rogue weaknesses, such as sneak attacking undead/constructs, striking incorporeal targets, and even turning off targets' Dex to AC.

gorfnab
2011-10-26, 10:41 PM
Paladin // Dragon Shaman - Cha synergy with lots of healing and decent party buffing options.

avr
2011-10-26, 11:22 PM
No mention of the simple Fighter // Rogue? Suddenly your Rogue has the feats and HP to make real use of sneak attack.

deuxhero
2011-10-26, 11:31 PM
Because Daring Outlaw does that RAW.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-10-27, 08:16 AM
Assuming you mean "Option #2: Partial Gestalt," put Adept with any Tier 3-4 class that can afford a decent Wis score. Don't forget about Improved Familiar (DMG and CW versions).

Serenity Paladin 2/Monk 2/Soulknife 2/Pious Templar 4/Soulbow 10//Adept 20. You need as much Dexterity as it takes to qualify for the archery feats you want, and then you can put everything else into Wisdom. Pick a deity that favors the longbow and you're capable of dealing respectable damage consistently while having a good selection of low-level utility and healing spells. A pseudodragon is an awesome Improved Familiar pick.

Reckon that's Tier 3. You could drop Adept and Monk for Ninja if you don't suck enough, and be a very nasty Tier 4.

What tier do racial HD and LA count as? VOP Saint Gold dragon//Paladin/Monk is scary.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-27, 10:31 AM
Because Daring Outlaw does that RAW.

Unfortunately, no it doesn't. It just lets Fighter and Rogue levels stack for purposes of qualifying for Fighter only feats... it doesn't give you any extras...

gkathellar
2011-10-27, 10:39 AM
Serenity Paladin 2/Monk 2/Soulknife 2/Pious Templar 4/Soulbow 10//Adept 20. You need as much Dexterity as it takes to qualify for the archery feats you want, and then you can put everything else into Wisdom.

If you go with this, you should find a way to get a level of Shiba Disciple in there.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-10-27, 01:39 PM
If you go with this, you should find a way to get a level of Shiba Disciple in there.

My Google-fu is failing me. What book is that in?

You can easily burn a level of Pious Templar, since you get everything you really want out of three levels-- the fourth is just a Fighter bonus feat.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-27, 01:53 PM
My Google-fu is failing me. What book is that in?

You can easily burn a level of Pious Templar, since you get everything you really want out of three levels-- the fourth is just a Fighter bonus feat.

Oriental Adventures, it's strongly setting specific and has a lot of feat tax prerequisites (Alertness, Combat Expertise, Iron Will), but at the first level you get to add your Wisdom bonus to attack and damage rolls.

HunterOfJello
2011-10-27, 03:29 PM
The best options to go with would probably include:

Swashbuckler 3/Rogue X (Daring Outlaw)

Warmage

Dungeoncrasher Zentarim Fighter/Barbarian (with alternative class features mixed in)

Ranger/Scout (Swift Hunter and some Urban Class Features thrown in along with other ACFs)

Aristocrat dip to gain Iajutsu Focus and some other good skills put together with Able Learner

Godskook
2011-10-27, 04:04 PM
I don't see where it was mentioned that the second class needs to be an NPC class, but it matters little for the point I was making, that you need to restrict prestige classes heavily to make any sort of tier guidelines work. Sub paladin for warrior to get feats instead of divine grace and little changes.

Found it for you(was the first place gestalt was mentioned in the link):

Option #2: Partial Gestalt. Tier 1s and 2s are normal. Tier 3s and 4s may gestalt their levels with an NPC class of their choice (Adept, Expert, Commoner, or Warrior). Tier 5s and 6s may gestalt their levels with any other Tier 5 or 6 class of their choice, or Adepts. Result? Again, a healthy power boost for the low Tiers. Suddenly the Rogues can have full BAB and lots of hitpoints, and the Monks can have Fighter powers too. Very handy. Plus, multiclassing works... it's just that if you start as a Fighter//Monk and want to take a level of, say, Ranger, that level must have an NPC class on the other side. If for some reason you wanted Sorcerer, you wouldn't be gestalt at all in that level. Lord knows Fighters get a lot better when they can be Fighter//Monks or Fighter//CA Ninjas or whatever.

Gnaeus
2011-10-27, 04:26 PM
In gestalt, you usually want 9th level spells/powers/maneuvers coupled with a class that supports them or gives them other options.

Dread Necro or Beguiler + Warrior
Any Tob Class + Adept
Healer + a tier 5 fighting class (fighter, paladin, Monk, knight).
Factotum + Warrior or Adept would also have to be included, because gestalt factotums are awesome

Cespenar
2011-10-27, 04:34 PM
Monk//Adept should be the new Monk.

JaronK
2011-10-27, 04:40 PM
Monk//Fighter's a pretty obvious one. Those two classes work together well. Warblade//Expert could be fun with the whole Iaijutsu Focus thing, as could any other martial melee class with Expert. And Dread Necromancer//Warrior could definitely be useful. Also, dipping Commoner for Infested with Chickens could be awesome.

JaronK

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-10-27, 04:47 PM
By deux's interpretation of spellcasting sources, would a Duskblade//Adept be able to channel Adept spells? MAD, but still quite nice. Also, Beguiler//Warrior is approaching druid levels of outshining at level 1.

Psyren
2011-10-27, 04:50 PM
Monk//Psywar should be the new Monk.

FTFY

I'm a fan of Soulborn//Soulknife, myself.

I do like this one too.

JaronK
2011-10-27, 05:07 PM
Monk//Psywar wouldn't be legal under this system. Psywar isn't a Tier 5-6 class.

JaronK

Psyren
2011-10-27, 05:09 PM
Monk//Psywar wouldn't be legal under this system. Psywar isn't a Tier 5-6 class.

JaronK

Was responding specifically to "X should be the new monk" rather than within the confines of your tier system.

JaronK
2011-10-27, 05:12 PM
I that cause, Unarmed Swordsage//Psywar. Go nuts.

JaronK

deuxhero
2011-10-27, 05:18 PM
By deux's interpretation of spellcasting sources, would a Duskblade//Adept be able to channel Adept spells? MAD, but still quite nice. Also, Beguiler//Warrior is approaching druid levels of outshining at level 1.

I think Duskblades can do it anyways and the ability doesn't require it be a Duskblade spell. I don't think Adept (or Gleaner, prehaps Magewright has some?) has many spells eligible for channel that work.

Note I warned of DMGs with that interpretation.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-27, 05:19 PM

Duskblade has no restriction on what spells it can channel, merely that it has to be able to cast them. A duskblade 3/cleric 11, for instance, can channel harm.

Godskook
2011-10-27, 05:22 PM
FTFY

In context, his is legal while yours isn't.

Psyren
2011-10-27, 05:33 PM
In context, his is legal while yours isn't.

Eh, I have a pretty good e-lawyer to help me beat the e-charges.

Godskook
2011-10-27, 05:46 PM
Eh, I have a pretty good e-lawyer to help me beat the e-charges.

Psyren, under these circumstances, requesting the intercession of an attorney is a sign of a guilty conscience. (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2006-06-25)

Tvtyrant
2011-10-27, 07:34 PM
Healer//Adept gets you two sources of casting that work well together (Healer gets Gate eventually, and you use the adept side for utility).

Maho-Tsukai
2011-10-27, 09:42 PM
Yeah, and Healer//Adept also is not as MAD as other adapt combos due to both using WIS in their spellcasting(Adept is Wis SAD while healer is Wis/Cha). Shugenja//Warrior also looks like it can be fun as now you have just become a better "spontaneous cleric" then the favored soul. Sure, your spell list is slightly more limited then the favored soul but you get heavy armor(which you can cast in just fine since your divine.), D12s, full BAB, better weapon selection AND full divine casting, meaning you don't even need to DMM: Persist Divine Power to fight like a fighter. Not sure if that combo pushes the Shugenja up a tier, but if it dose not it certainly makes it at the very top of Tier 3.

Cespenar
2011-10-27, 11:26 PM
Now to think of it, which tier would a Warrior//Expert//Adept be? 3?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-27, 11:36 PM
Yeah, and Healer//Adept also is not as MAD as other adapt combos due to both using WIS in their spellcasting(Adept is Wis SAD while healer is Wis/Cha). Shugenja//Warrior also looks like it can be fun as now you have just become a better "spontaneous cleric" then the favored soul. Sure, your spell list is slightly more limited then the favored soul but you get heavy armor(which you can cast in just fine since your divine.), D12s, full BAB, better weapon selection AND full divine casting, meaning you don't even need to DMM: Persist Divine Power to fight like a fighter. Not sure if that combo pushes the Shugenja up a tier, but if it dose not it certainly makes it at the very top of Tier 3.

You know, you can actually twink out Healer quite a bit, if you know what you're doing.

Use the 'Spontaneous Divine' option from the SRD, then go for Sovereign Speaker to cover the (many) gaps in your spell repertoire.

deuxhero
2011-10-28, 01:25 AM
Now to think of it, which tier would a Warrior//Expert//Adept be? 3?

Very top of 4. Congrats! You are now a ranger with better spells!

hex0
2011-10-28, 01:27 AM
Battle Dancer/Hexblade :smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2011-10-28, 01:40 AM
And what does Battle Dancer do?

avr
2011-10-28, 01:46 AM
Using those tiered gestalt guidelines, Fighter // Rogue is unavailable. No matter. Try a Warblade // Magewright (ECS). Warblade covers your fighting needs for the most part, a few utility spells from Magewright (animate rope, phantom steed) give you some more out of combat skill, and the casting is based off INT so you don't get any more MAD.

hex0
2011-10-28, 01:52 AM
Using those tiered gestalt guidelines, Fighter // Rogue is unavailable. No matter. Try a Warblade // Magewright (ECS). Warblade covers your fighting needs for the most part, a few utility spells from Magewright (animate rope, phantom steed) give you some more out of combat skill, and the casting is based off INT so you don't get any more MAD.

Warblade is tier 3.

Battle Dancer is the Chaotic, Full BAB, CHA based version of the monk.

I actually meant to type Battle Dancer//Spellthief. Although Battle Dancer gets pounce at 11 (effectively), I still think they are tier 5.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-10-28, 02:01 AM
FTFY

Through tashalatora, that more or less is the new monk.

I like monk//fighter because it's a basic thing that makes sense. Obviously you can't take dungeoncrasher or zhentarim if you want to do this, because you then it'll be a tier 4 class and won't qualify.

I always have loved the fighter//bonus feat rogue, but I just realized that's not actually a legal choice.

(Monk 2//fighter 2)/(Warrior 18//Psychic Warrior 18) is one I'm fond of. Full BAB all the way, and monk advancement but also full BAB psychic warrior.

deuxhero
2011-10-28, 02:03 AM
Warblade is tier 3.

And Magewright is an NPC class.

hex0
2011-10-28, 02:08 AM
How low is low for this question? 4-6? Average of 5? 5-6?

I'd still go for Fighter//Monk any day.

deuxhero
2011-10-28, 02:10 AM
Anything that can gestalt under the suggested rules.

Psyren
2011-10-28, 08:06 AM
How about the PF T5s? Gunslinger, Cavalier/Samurai, what would we gestalt those with? (I think Cavalier is T5, not sure.)

Chronos
2011-10-28, 02:21 PM
I can't remember what tier Incarnate is at, but an Incarnate//Expert would be a pretty good skillmonkey. Get all those soulmelds that give bonuses to skills, on top of actually having real skills. Unfortunately there's no soulmeld that gives a useful bonus to Hide/Move Silently, though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-28, 02:27 PM
I can't remember what tier Incarnate is at, but an Incarnate//Expert would be a pretty good skillmonkey. Get all those soulmelds that give bonuses to skills, on top of actually having real skills. Unfortunately there's no soulmeld that gives a useful bonus to Hide/Move Silently, though.

No, but Shadowed and Silent Moves armor enhancements covers that pretty nicely.

Adamantrue
2011-10-28, 02:43 PM
I've recently become a big fan of Gestalt Monk/Ranger, taking on a Ranged Skirmisher combined with a Full BAB Flurry, great Skill List with reasonable Skill Points each level, ACFs that let you trade out redundant abilities (like Evasion), decent Ability Score synergy.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-10-28, 06:59 PM
How about the PF T5s? Gunslinger, Cavalier/Samurai, what would we gestalt those with? (I think Cavalier is T5, not sure.)

The Musket Master goes really well with the CA Ninja, especially on Thri-Kreen. Consequently, Mysterious Stranger goes well with the PF Ninja, especially with a two level dip in Paladin/Expert.

I'm at a loss to combine the Cavalier with anything. As near as I can tell, it's just slightly better than Warrior for granting +1 BAB for classes that can't Gestalt with Fighter.

Thurbane
2011-10-28, 09:26 PM
By strictest reading, Adept doesn't qualify for Improved Familiar (unless the other side of your gestalt is an arcanist). All of the familiars listed have an "arcane spellcaster X" requirement. OK, technically you could take the feat, but it wouldn't allow you to get the familiar.

docnessuno
2011-10-29, 08:34 AM
The suggested gestalt system is (imho) flawed, allowing you combinations like Psywar/adept, (T3-T5), while disallowing others like fighter/rogue (T4-T5)

A different system that i use in some games is:

T1: 6 points
T2: 5 points
T3: 4 points
T4: 3 points
T5: 2 points
T6: 1 point

Each level your total may not exceed X points (6 if allowing tier 1 in the game, 5 if allowing tier 2, 4 otherwise)

JaronK
2011-10-30, 04:58 AM
The suggested gestalt system is (imho) flawed, allowing you combinations like Psywar/adept, (T3-T5), while disallowing others like fighter/rogue (T4-T5)

It was, quite honestly, thrown in at the last second. Some people had been insisting that the tier system was only to prove how Wizards were awesome, and said that unless they saw suggested house rules to help others they'd maintain that.

So I threw them a basic house rule, just to get the overall idea across. It was always intended that others would throw together something better with a little more thought, like the system you're suggesting.

JaronK

Godskook
2011-10-30, 05:15 AM

Jaronk made that clear in the thread linked, calling all 3 suggestions "quick and dirty".

docnessuno
2011-10-30, 07:14 AM
It was, quite honestly, thrown in at the last second. Some people had been insisting that the tier system was only to prove how Wizards were awesome, and said that unless they saw suggested house rules to help others they'd maintain that.

So I threw them a basic house rule, just to get the overall idea across. It was always intended that others would throw together something better with a little more thought, like the system you're suggesting.
JaronK

That was not meant as a negative comment on your work (the whole class tiering is very well-tought and incredibly useful), just as an alternative idea for the OP.

Randomguy
2011-10-30, 08:58 AM
Does anyone know any combo that would make truenamers slightly playable? Truenamer//factotum? I think that might work. Or maybe it will just make a factotum with a few skill ranks in a useless skill.

JaronK
2011-10-31, 01:27 AM
That was not meant as a negative comment on your work (the whole class tiering is very well-tought and incredibly useful), just as an alternative idea for the OP.

Yup, I figured. Just mentioning the history, really, and pointing out that improvements were welcome.

JaronK