PDA

View Full Version : Su Casting: Is it possible?

Getsugaru
2011-10-26, 09:43 PM
While coming up with a gestalt build, I remembered the feat that can turn your spell-like abilities into supernatural abilities. I also remembered the bonuses of a Su over a Sp, like the ignoring of spell resistance, which gave birth to this question. Is it possible to get your ability to prepare/cast spells as a supernatural ability?

NNescio
2011-10-26, 09:47 PM
While coming up with a gestalt build, I remembered the feat that can turn your spell-like abilities into supernatural abilities. I also remembered the bonuses of a Su over a Sp, like the ignoring of spell resistance, which gave birth to this question. Is it possible to get your ability to prepare/cast spells as a supernatural ability?

Dweomerkeeper, Complete Divine Web Enhancement.

Limited times per day though, but being able to ignore XP and material components on spells like Wish/Miracle is broken enough.

Silva Stormrage
2011-10-26, 11:07 PM
A round about way thats simple but is likely to get a book thrown at you is this.

1: Become a spell to power erudite
2: Learn the spells you want
3: Take Supernatural Transformation
4: Dodge DMG
5:???
6:Proft

Its explained in more depth here
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889
Scroll down to Suck it wizards (Su) And you section.

Shadowknight12
2011-10-26, 11:17 PM
A very subpar but less cheesy way to accomplish this is with a shadowcaster. That's the entire shtick of their classes. Every "spell" they learn eventually gets turned into a 3/day (Su) ability.

You can have it both ways, too, with a Wizard/Shadowcaster/Noctumancer/Mystic Theurge. Use spells normally and then use the shadowcaster's (Su) mysteries whenever it becomes necessary. The free dispelling and anti-magic abilities granted by Noctumancer are just gravy.

Psyren
2011-10-27, 08:33 AM
A very subpar but less cheesy way to accomplish this is with a shadowcaster. That's the entire shtick of their classes. Every "spell" they learn eventually gets turned into a 3/day (Su) ability.

Not exactly - really it only applies to the bottom few levels (apprentice), with the middle being SLAs (initiate) and the top being actual spells (master.) Though post-epic they could probably turn their list supernatural if you progress high enough.

gkathellar
2011-10-27, 08:38 AM
Binder, I guess.

Dweomerkeeper is the most common approach, but that StP: Erudite trick looks pretty sweet.

Psyren
2011-10-27, 09:07 AM
Its explained in more depth here
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889
Scroll down to Suck it wizards (Su) And you section.

That one is highly dodgy and not even RAW-legal. They use the fact that you can specifically apply Empower SLA and Quicken SLA to Psi-like abilities, and try to extrapolate that to every single feat that could potentially affect SLAs, including Supernatural Transformation.