PDA

View Full Version : Sleep deprevation-induced brainstorming...

Linkavitch
2011-10-26, 09:43 PM
So, right before I fell asleep the other night, I had a revelation...about video games. Specifically, about an idea for a video game. Basically, game stories are either linear or can have multiple ending, right? What if a game had...both? Here's my idea: (I was actually thinking about Freespace 3 when I thought this up.) Man in military training of some sort (like I noted above I was specifically making this up for the nonexistent Freespac3 but it could work for any military-syle game with levels.) The first..third or so of the game is linear. Your character goes through the game, beating levels and is allowed to go back and try again as many times as you need. Bonus points if the levels are just slightly disjointed, but you can't tell how. And then...it's revealed that those were all training exercises, in a combat simulator. You graduate military school, and go out to your first real combat, where there are no do overs, (unless you die. Maybe.) Even if you turn the system off before you lose, it saves the last checkpoint so your in the same position. And, depending on how well you did, there can be a number of different subsequent levels you have to play. Perhaps even getting recruited by the opposing side, or some neutral third-party raiders or something. Whaddaya think?