PDA

View Full Version : The Dragonlance Campaign Setting and classes

PotatoNinja
2011-10-26, 11:08 PM
Well, time for another post by a half drunk potato ninja :smallbiggrin:

I loved reading all of the dragonlance novels, they provided hours of great entertainment as a young adult. ALso been playing D&D since i was about 12, 'around 23 now though. Just got a hold of the 3.5 (is it 3.0..?) book for the campaign setting. I realize it's not as rich as the older versions, but it's a start eh?

I would like assessment of their base worth (which i know is admittedly kinda on the lower side, sad face) and maybe some suggestion on how to fix them Nothing major, but i know alot of these Prc's have a TON of flavor, but poor mechanics, i want to try and fix that but not bastardize their intent.

I have included a little of my own drunken musings on them :smallwink:(god i love these smiley faces!)

Just wondering what the general consensus is on the base classes, and the PrC's involved in the book in terms of Tiers and optimization. (god, i've already had to make 15 corrections in spelling, thank you little red squiggly lines :smallamused:). I realise that many of the options in this book fall pretty flat on their heels when used in any sort of tier 3 game, which is unfortunate.

Anybody want to weigh in on the (by group and then class) classes? I'll put my initial though in here, but please, do add in some analysis (i keep thinking of anal ysis, let's put the wrong stress in there!)

Mystic and nobles
Mystics seem like favored souls but not? Nobles, i'm not sure what to do with this one.

Order of High sorcery PrC's
Good for a low optimization/non optimization build, still a solid tier three? Love these classes and i want to use them, any suggestions here?

The Knights Prc's (Evil/Good both)

Good
KoTCrown is a retooled paladin without casting, which is.... less than a ToBattle class :/
KotSword seems like it'd make a good mesh up and combine the two to make a less weak paladin type?
KotRoseHow do you fix it in a game with no leader ship?:/

Evil
Lily - could condense down their abilities, add a few, and give'em a few more sneak attack die without breaking them, they seem a little less than theif at this point. Under wheliming but an easy fix it looks like?
SKull - a poorly made cleric PrC?
Thorn - this one seems very solid, I'd like to hear input on this thing very much. Touch attack spells via weapons, full progression of spells, and armored spell casting aint bad iirc.

Dragon Riders Holy BALLS, this looks pretty freaking solid/a little overpowered for anything that's not a dungeon crawl.

Legion of Steel
A bardic knowledge like ability (could be made to stack with BK?), full BAB, two good saves. two favored enemies. Not a bad dip for low optimization, but the apprentice thing with leadership again bugs me.

Inquisitor
WOw, this seems very underwhelming. Few bonus to skills, lol trapfinding, and divination kinda makes this guy a little obsolete? Maybe make this something to add onto a full divination caster? Is there any hope of salvaging this for a non spell caster?

Legendary Tactician
Without leadership this guy is kinda like a different flavor of bard, with no spellcasting. Would adding some spellcasting progression make him a more viable party player?

Righteous zealot
God, as if diplomacy wasn't so easy to break and destroy in the first place.:smallfrown: