PDA

View Full Version : VoP Erudite learning from power stones?

crouchingmoose
2011-10-26, 11:48 PM
Could a "regular" erudite with VoP learn powers from power stones without losing VoP? The reason I ask is because the section about erudites learning powers doesn't say anything about the power stones being used, just connected to/have its powers inspected, and then have those replicated seperately. This is also supported by the line about the power stone not being expended.

I'm also wondering if that same erudite could learn any spell as a power via a power stone implanted with a spell using the chameleon crafting feat? ie. power stone of shocking grasp allowing the erudite to learn shocking grasp as a power stone.

Psyren
2011-10-27, 06:29 AM
Could a "regular" erudite with VoP learn powers from power stones without losing VoP? The reason I ask is because the section about erudites learning powers doesn't say anything about the power stones being used, just connected to/have its powers inspected, and then have those replicated seperately. This is also supported by the line about the power stone not being expended.

This depends entirely on your DM's definition of "use." RAW does not cover this situation.

I'm also wondering if that same erudite could learn any spell as a power via a power stone implanted with a spell using the chameleon crafting feat? ie. power stone of shocking grasp allowing the erudite to learn shocking grasp as a power stone.

If you can find a way to get a spell into a power stone, then yes, it could be learned from that stone by a CStP Erudite.

gkathellar
2011-10-27, 06:38 AM
I'm not up on my terrible feat lore, but can VoP wizards learn from scrolls? If they can, I'd say yes. If they can't, I'd say no.

Zagaroth
2011-10-27, 07:20 AM
mmm, but a wizard expends a scroll when he copies it to his spell book I believe. Thus it has most certainly been used.

A erudite does not expend the power stone on the other hand.. So the situation is different.

Flickerdart
2011-10-27, 07:41 AM
Do you expend a sword when you use it? No. VoP still bans its use. I see no reason why power stones should be different.

Psyren
2011-10-27, 07:46 AM
The OP is attempting to draw a distinction between "use" and "use up." Again, the answer to this question depends on his DM.

crouchingmoose
2011-10-27, 07:47 AM
Do you expend a sword when you use it? No. VoP still bans its use. I see no reason why power stones should be different.

But the use of a powerstone expends the power in it, and learning from the stone doesnt expend it...so does it actually count as use. I mean its not actively being utilized in any form, its pretty much just being looked at and studied

Psyren
2011-10-27, 07:52 AM
Again, convincing the forum of your position won't do you any good. RAW does not adequately cover this situation, it is up to DM interpretation.

marcielle
2011-10-27, 06:42 PM
Well, it might, seeing as VoP is not a matter of use vs use up so much as a matter of own vs not own. I think you can learn from them if your teammate buys them and lends them to you but you can't buy or hang on to them to learn from them.

Psyren
2011-10-27, 06:43 PM
Well, it might, seeing as VoP is not a matter of use vs use up so much as a matter of own vs not own.

Reread the feat:

"To fulfill your vow, you must not own or use any material possessions, {exceptions follow}"

Zaq
2011-10-27, 07:00 PM
Hmm. You are explicitly allowed to drink a potion a friend gives you. I see no meaningful distinction between "drinking a potion a friend gives you" and "sucking a power out of a power stone a friend gives you." If you take the potion example to be representative of all consumable items, you might be in good shape.

Of course, it also says you may not cast a spell from a scroll, wand, or staff, but you're not casting it, you're learning it.

Gorram inconsistent wording . . .