PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Wisdom

Wavelab
2011-10-27, 01:59 AM
Alright so I'm playing in an epic tristalt, and I'm playing an insane wizard alienist/psion/binder.

I have a wisdom of 31 and I already have a -12 reduction. I want to get it to far so I need another -15 reduction, but I want to gain something from it.

Also I heard of a homebrew system where you can get point buys above 18, wanna help me find it?

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-10-27, 08:21 AM
Also I heard of a homebrew system where you can get point buys above 18, wanna help me find it?

I don't know what you're talking about, but I used to do something similar. Characters started at 25 point buy, and then got their level in extra point buy points every level. Follow the standard point buy rules up to 18, and then repeat the pattern. 9-14 cost 1 point each, 15-16 cost 2 points each, 17-18 cost 3 points, thus 19-20 cost 4 points each and so forth.

Wavelab
2011-10-27, 09:02 AM
Thanks I was looking for the second part of what you did.

Telonius
2011-10-27, 09:24 AM
I have a wisdom of 31 and I already have a -12 reduction. I want to get it to far so I need another -15 reduction, but I want to gain something from it.

... I am not sure what you're asking for. Do you mean you need help trying to make room in the point buy for another stat? Or do you just need to (for whatever reason) drain wisdom from your character? If you need help meeting the point buy, we'd need to know what the limit is, and what your other scores are. If you need to drain wisdom (for whatever reason), just summon a Lamia (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lamia.htm), and voluntarily allow it to drain Wisdom.

Psyren
2011-10-27, 09:31 AM
Record some Allips and put them on your iPod?

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-27, 10:07 AM
Record some Allips and put them on your iPod?

^ wordswordswordswords

Wavelab
2011-10-27, 10:13 AM
My character is supposed to be insane, and I work with the wisdom=sanity theory.

So I want to get it reduced by a lot but I don't just want to throw it away, I want to gain some bonuses from it.

Telonius
2011-10-27, 10:31 AM
My character is supposed to be insane, and I work with the wisdom=sanity theory.

So I want to get it reduced by a lot but I don't just want to throw it away, I want to gain some bonuses from it.

Well, first off, you could just start with a lower wisdom and use that bonus to bump up the rest of your stats.

If that's not possible, have you looked into the Tainted Scholar prestige class? They become more powerful the creepier and crazier they get.

A Derro (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/derro.htm) has a "Madness" extraordinary ability that sounds at least a bit like what you're going for. The Force of Personality feat from CAdv can also mitigate Wisdom loss - you get Cha to Will Saves, though it doesn't help with skills.

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-27, 10:53 AM
There's also the Insane Defiance feat (Elder Evils) that lets you burn up your Wis to deflect mind-affecting spells back at the caster.

Wavelab
2011-10-27, 11:03 AM
I already started with wisdom 8.

My DM is lenient but I don't think he's Tainted Scholar Lenient.

Nah I don't want to play a dwarf :smallbiggrin:

Insane Defiance is added to my feat list, thanks for pointing it out.

Telonius
2011-10-27, 11:51 AM
I already started with wisdom 8.

So you started with Wisdom of 8 - what did you do to get it up to 31?

Wavelab
2011-10-27, 12:39 PM
I don't have the link right now but it's Demented one's Arch-Psion epic destiny. It increases all your mental stats to your highest one. I have an int of 31 so that's how.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-27, 12:42 PM
Doesn't the Madness domain power damage your Wisdom for some other benefit? Maybe you could planar touchstone it.

Devmaar
2011-10-27, 01:07 PM
If you're evil you could take Willing Deformity and Deformity: Madness for -4 Wisdom and immunity to Mind-Affecting.

Plus you'd be insane by RAW as well as by fluff

Wavelab
2011-10-27, 01:33 PM
I've heard about planar touchstones but I've never looked at it.

I already have willing defomrity, deformity(madness) and reflexive psychosis.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-27, 01:35 PM
Read the codex anathema (LoM) for +2 int and -2 wisdom. Always fun.

Wavelab
2011-10-27, 01:44 PM
Ooohhh.. Just two questions about it:
1. Can you read it more than once?
2. Do you need to own it to read it, because I have a homebrew Vow of Poverty.

JaronK
2011-10-27, 01:52 PM

Tainted Sorcerer. Drop that Wisdom to 1, gain endless power, rule world.

JaronK

Treblain
2011-10-27, 02:38 PM
One of the Lurk's augments, Mental Assault, can deal Wisdom damage. Dominate a Lurk and get them to attack you.

Wavelab
2011-10-27, 02:47 PM
What bonuses do I gain?

Nothing.

PersonMan
2011-10-27, 03:22 PM
The aforementioned lenient DM has arrived

I don't have the link right now but it's Demented one's Arch-Psion epic destiny. It increases all your mental stats to your highest one. I have an int of 31 so that's how.

Equal to your base value, so in this case your base Wisdom becomes 18(presumably), then you add any + or -Wisdom you have(since you want low Wis). You don't make your Wisdom and Charisma equal to your end score(that is, with levels, Tomes of X, etc.).

I'd probably be willing to whip up a micro-PrC, feat chain, etc. to help you with this goal, but it'd have to wait until I've recovered from evaluating what feels like half of the homebrew subforum, so looking for official options is probably a good idea for now.

faceroll
2011-10-27, 03:27 PM
Doesn't the Madness domain power damage your Wisdom for some other benefit? Maybe you could planar touchstone it.

Madness domain in Defenders of the Faith was OP:
Madness Prestige Domain
Deity: Boccob, Erythnul, Vecna.
Granted Power: You gain an “Insanity score” equal to
half your class level (add cleric levels to prestige class
levels for this purpose). For spellcasting (determining
bonus spells and DCs), add this score to your Wisdom
score and use the result in place of Wisdom alone. For
all other purposes, such as skill checks and saving
throws, subtract this score from your Wisdom score
and use the result in place of Wisdom alone. This
means that your spells are very difficult to resist, but
you are in general unaware of your surroundings and
act imprudently—often erratically.
Once per day, you can see and act with the clarity of
true madness. Use your Insanity score as a bonus on a
single roll involving Wisdom, such as a Listen check or
a Will saving throw. Choose to use this power before
the roll is made.

DoctorGlock
2011-10-27, 03:28 PM
Ooohhh.. Just two questions about it:
1. Can you read it more than once?
2. Do you need to own it to read it, because I have a homebrew Vow of Poverty.

It becomes non magical after reading sadly, and since it requires 48 hours it likely counts as owning it, and certainly benefiting from it. Also it's apparently an inherent bonus, when my DM tossed one to me he said it was untyped. Far less awesome than I thought.
If it wasn't for the whole lawful good (vow of poverty) part I'd say go with one of the tainted caster classes that flat out make you bonkers insane

Wow, the time delay on the tainted class post above me means i can't even claim ninja, i just flat out failed a spot check

Telonius
2011-10-27, 03:40 PM
If it wasn't for the whole lawful good (vow of poverty) part I'd say go with one of the tainted caster classes that flat out make you bonkers insane

Yeah, Lawful Good kind of blows up my next suggestion (some of the Corrupt Spells from BoVD have Wisdom damage or drain as components). Dolorous Motes is the only BoED spell that has Wisdom as a sacrifice component...

Wavelab
2011-10-27, 11:56 PM
It's always fun to have your DM read your threads.

And I am not Lawful Good. The homebrew Vow of Poverty feat doesn't have an alignment requirement. The idea is that I sacrifice all my possessions to the Far Realms. The Tome won't be that useful since I already included an inherit bonus from a tome in my stats. Unless of course my awesome DM is willing to make it untyped?

DeAnno
2011-10-28, 01:18 AM
Drunken Master's Drink Like a Demon ability lets you sacrifice Int and Wis for Strength or Con.

Coidzor
2011-10-28, 01:20 AM
How do templates interact with the tri-stalt?

Wavelab
2011-10-28, 01:28 AM
My classes are mostly fixed on Wizard 10 Alienist 10 Arch-mage 5/ Psion 20 Arch-Psion 5/ Binder 16 Knight of the Sacred Seal 5 LA 4.

Templates work like normal just LA can be put anywhere.

Coidzor
2011-10-28, 01:31 AM
So you can shove the LA into any one branch of the tri-stalt, then?

Wavelab
2011-10-28, 01:40 AM
Yes, but I'd rather put it in the binder and wizard parts.

Randomguy
2011-10-30, 04:14 PM
Take the pathetic flaw to reduce wisdom by 2 and gain a bonus feat. See if you can gain the flaw multiple times and have the effects stack.