PDA

View Full Version : Arixen Vutha Vigna | DnD Pathfinder Monster | I like PEACHes

Knight9910
2011-10-27, 02:35 AM
Arixen Vutha Vigna
Large Undead
Hit Dice: 14d8+42 (105 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30', Fly 60' (Good), Swim 30'
Armor Class: 21 (10 +1 Dex -1 Size +11 Natural)
CMB/CMD: +20/31
Attack:
• 2 Claws +16 melee (1d6+16 + grab)
• Bite +11 melee (2d6+8)
• Tail +11 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 Claws (+16/+16), Bite (+11), and Tail (+11)
Space/Reach: 10'/10'
Special Attacks: Father's Breath, Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60', DR 10/Magic, Immunity to Acid, Turn Resistance +2
Saves: Fort +9 Ref +7 Will +9
Abilities: STR 30 (+10) DEX 12 (+1) CON Ø (--) INT 4 (-3) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 16 (+3)
Skills: Climb +15, Fly +7, Intimidate +11, Perception +10, Swim +19
Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Improved Natural Attack , Improved Initiative, Improved Flight, Iron Will, Great Fortitude
[b]Organization: Solitary or Pair
Environment: Any
CR: 9
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Level Adjustment: --

Translating from draconic as "ash of His black flame" the arixen vutha vigna are evil undead draconic creatures created by the dragon god of undeath Falazure and sent to aid and protect his followers. They will follow their new master's orders but their only true loyalty is to Falazure. Many an upstart dragon worshipper has found himself betrayed by these creatures and torn apart for overstepping his bounds.

An arixen vutha vigna looks similar to a sickly thin black dragon standing up on its hind legs like a humanoid. Its scales are dull grey and almost translucent. Its deep-socketed eyes burn with hatred. These monsters stand over 15 feet tall with a wingspan of about 30 feet.

Arixen vutha vigna speak draconic.

Combat:
When ordered into combat these creatures charge in, swinging at enemies until either they or the enemies are destroyed. They will use their breath weapon and grapple as necesarry but lack the intelligence to use them tactically.

Father's Breath (SU) - Breathes out a 30' cone of negative energy. This can be used as a breath weapon, dealing 7d4 negative energy damage. Reflex save DC 20 halves. The creature can breathe once every 1d4 rounds.

Alternately, the creature can focus the breath on one or more dead bodies. When used in this manner the breath deals no damage but instead re-animates dead bodies as the spell Animate Dead. The breath can re-animate any number of creatures that fit within the cone, up to a maximum of 28 HD worth at once.

Zombies or skeletons created by the breath are not actually under the control of the arixen vutha vigna, but do begin friendly toward it. The breath can only be used to re-animate the dead like this once per day.

Improved Grab (EX) - Whenever it hits with a claw attack the arixen vutha vigna can attempt to start a grapple as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

[hr]

Identification
Knowledge: Religion
• DC 24: Servants of the dragon god of undeath Falazure, arixen vutha vigna are insanely strong undead creatures similar to black dragons. This result reveals undead traits.
• DC 29: The arixen vutha vigna has a variety of natural attacks and is adept at grappling techniques. It can also exhale a blast of negative energy when angered.
• DC 34: The arixen vutha vigna's most horrible ability is the power to create new allies for itself by using its breath attack on dead bodies to turn them into zombies and skeletons.

[hr]

I figured that if I'm gonna hang out here more often I should get back into this, as making DnD stuff is something I always enjoyed. This evil creature is something I made way back when, in another DnD group. Never used it, though.

Made with 3.5 rules, but might could work in Pathfinder too. Feel free to PEACH away.

jiriku
2011-10-27, 09:35 AM
Accuracy is abnormally high for a CR10, owing to the extremely high strength. AC, hit points, and saves are poor to terrible for a CR10. To bring it more into line with other monsters, I'd suggest dropping Alertness, Improved Natural Attack (bite), and Multiattack, then replacing them with Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes (or possibly Aerial Reflexes if you own Races of the Wild), and Power Attack (include 5 points of Power Attack in the stat block). For a slightly more difficult AVV, just swap Alertness for Power Attack, and add 4 more hit dice of undead, which will give you two feat slots for the save-enhancing feats, plus a HD-based save bonus and extra hp.

Knight9910
2011-10-28, 12:57 AM
Hmm...decided to update for Pathfinder, which means it gets more feats anyway.

Knight9910
2011-10-28, 02:33 AM
Made some updates that I think make it more balanced and also make it compatible with PAthfinder. I think it's better as a monster, though I recalc'd its CR as 9 instead of 10 now with the changes I made.

Paulcynic
2011-11-05, 12:49 PM
An arixen vutha vigna looks similar to a sickly thin black dragon standing up on its hind legs like a humanoid. Its scales are dull grey and almost translucent. Its deep-socketed eyes burn with hatred.

I really enjoyed the image this conjured :) Great job man.

Monster looks nice and mean. I think mah players will face this in an upcoming session.

--PC

jiriku
2011-11-06, 02:16 AM
Agreed, it's got a great combination of speed, maneuverability, flexible attack options, and defensive resistances and immunities. Looks like a well-balanced monster that should present a solid challenge to most any party.

Mulletmanalive
2011-11-06, 12:43 PM
CMD = 10 + BAB [10] + Str [10] + Dex [1] + Size [1] = 32