PDA

View Full Version : A few quick questions on monsters

Balor01
2011-10-27, 06:00 AM
1.I know about mob template, but I wonder is there in 3.5 ed a possibility to stat a more "organized" mob? Well, not mob at all but like a group of goblins/city guards who do not just go against their enemies only with 5d6 dmg and huuuge grapple check but use a bit more order?

2.How can one "legally" increase speed of a monster? (instead of just statting it with land speed 130 feet instead of 30 feet)

3.What is a good way to significantly increase monsters Will save? (I know only of Iron will feat and maybe items, but would prefer non-item solutions)

4. If you were a monster tribe, what sort of a pet would you keep to keep those pesky adventurers at bay? Rust monster named Rusty sounds good. I need some ideas with a kick and semi-low CR, not "elder black dragon".

Runestar
2011-10-27, 07:40 AM
Generally, magic items, feats and templates are your best bet.

2.How can one "legally" increase speed of a monster? (instead of just statting it with land speed 130 feet instead of 30 feet)

Some templates may increase its base speed. For example, feral adds +10ft land speed, quasi-deities have improved speeds as well based on their size. Winged grants flight speed of land speed+20 ft, and opens up flight-based combat options. Tauric lets you combine 2 monsters together, use a monster with a fast movement speed as a base?

Some items may let you move as a swift action, indirectly improving your speed. MiC has a few such items, tome of battle has maneuvers like sudden leap, quicksilver motion and shadow jaunt.

Spells like haste can also work.

3.What is a good way to significantly increase monsters Will save? (I know only of Iron will feat and maybe items, but would prefer non-item solutions)

Steadfast determination (PHB2) lets you add a monster's con mod instead of will to its base will save (which can be very significant, since monsters tend to have high con but low wis). PHB2 also has indomitale soul, which lets you roll twice on will saves.

Savage species has cumbrous will, letting you add +6 to a will save, but you are shakened afterwards. Combine with fear immunity (heroes' feast) to get around this drawback.:smallsmile:

Tome of battle has moment of precise mind, which lets you replace a will save with a concentration check. Take martial study feat to nab a use of said maneuver 1/encounter, as well as gaining concentration as a class skill. Max it out, and it is basically a "automatically make your will save" card.