PDA

View Full Version : The Maenads' God?

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-27, 06:23 AM
I was looking over Expanded Psionics and came across the Maenad race. In the fluff it says that they may have overthrown their own God. With this in mind, I figure there may be a few who still, despite and due to the ages that have passed since, believe and worship the God.

As such, does anyone know where I can find info in this God? I checked Complete Psionics and Expanded Psionics Handbook, as well as Deities and Demigods (I figured it was long-shot considering publication times, but still) to no avail.

Thanks.

Eldan
2011-10-27, 06:52 AM
Well, I'd imagine they would have worshipped Dyonisus, or at least a diety in a similar role.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-27, 07:26 AM
Well, I'd imagine they would have worshipped Dyonisus, or at least a diety in a similar role.

See, because of their namesake, I figured similarly. That being said, I always figured Dionysus was still very much alive and empowered (in the world of D&D) rather than overthrown by his own people.

That being said, Dionysus fits.

hiryuu
2011-10-27, 10:25 AM
I was looking over Expanded Psionics and came across the Maenad race. In the fluff it says that they may have overthrown their own God. With this in mind, I figure there may be a few who still, despite and due to the ages that have passed since, believe and worship the God.

Yeah, they're called the Romulans, and they live way over there, past the Neutral Zone.

As such, does anyone know where I can find info in this God? I checked Complete Psionics and Expanded Psionics Handbook, as well as Deities and Demigods (I figured it was long-shot considering publication times, but still) to no avail.

Well, it's been overthrown. As far as gods go, that pretty much means it's dead and stricken from the record. I'd say Dyonisus, but there's two strikes against that. The first is that Dyonisus is "still around" (unless you want to change that). The second is that psionic Maenads are obviously not mythological Maenads. I mean, geez, they don't even get to use panthers as martial weapons.

Qwertystop
2011-10-27, 10:42 AM
I mean, geez, they don't even get to use panthers as martial weapons.

Can I sig this out-of-context?

hiryuu
2011-10-27, 10:51 AM
Can I sig this out-of-context?

Sure, you can do that!

Urpriest
2011-10-27, 10:56 AM
Is Dyonisus still alive in normal D&D? I was always unclear as to the status of the Greek/Egyptian/Norse gods in Planescape. I know the Greeks don't exist in Faerun, while the Egyptians do.

Qwertystop
2011-10-27, 03:57 PM
Sure, you can do that!

Thank you!

Smokin Red
2011-10-27, 06:17 PM
Well, how do you kill a god? You wipe the very thought of him out of every mind.
Supermass-Mindrape (or the psionic variant)

That gives me ideas :xykon:

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-27, 09:24 PM
Yeah, they're called the Romulans, and they live way over there, past the Neutral Zone.

Well, it's been overthrown. As far as gods go, that pretty much means it's dead and stricken from the record. I'd say Dyonisus, but there's two strikes against that. The first is that Dyonisus is "still around" (unless you want to change that). The second is that psionic Maenads are obviously not mythological Maenads. I mean, geez, they don't even get to use panthers as martial weapons.

You're my hero of the day. Just thought you should know that. I'll sponsor you to CNN so they can come and give you a big check.

Agreed, on both accounts. Another strike is that they were apparently beasts at the time. I take this means actually literally beast and not metaphorically beasts (lacking morals and such). Dionysus doesn't strike me as a God of animals and beast-kind.

Should I try and homebrew a God like Dionysus when Dionysus himself would probably do? The Maenad's God strikes me a more tyrannically chaotic and mad than Dionysus, who seems more "live and let live as long they let us drink".

I like the idea of multi-classing PsyWar and Binder, with a Maenad trying to find his historic lost God among the Vestiges. I hate homebrewing things when the preexisting works, but I may need to try and homebrew a Maenad God Vestige.

On a side note, what's the craft check on a panther?

deuxhero
2011-10-27, 10:47 PM
Well, how do you kill a god? You wipe the very thought of him out of every mind.
Supermass-Mindrape (or the psionic variant)

That gives me ideas :xykon:

Depends on the setting. Most often one of

1: Be a god
2: Be epic
3: Cut them off from worship
4: DM fiat.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-27, 11:23 PM
So, I figure that, if for no other reason than making a character I'm planing more fun to play, the Maenad's should have there ancient God remade, in the image of the Playground. After it's creation and development, assuming it gets off the ground, I'll look towards maybe making a Vestige out of it.

Do you guys want to help (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220584)?

Eldan
2011-10-28, 03:34 AM
Is Dyonisus still alive in normal D&D? I was always unclear as to the status of the Greek/Egyptian/Norse gods in Planescape. I know the Greeks don't exist in Faerun, while the Egyptians do.

Planescape specifically mentions (in On Hallowed Ground), that all mythological gods from Earth exist somewhere on the planes.

However, most gods are restricted to one or at best a handful of spheres. Some Earth gods are multi-sphere, such as the Egyptian, the Norse, the Chinese and the Greek gods.

The Greeks are actually one of the most powerful pantheons out there, together with the Norse. They control Mount Olympus, which is one of the more prominent features out there on the planes. They live on Arborea.

Dyonisus exists. That doesn't mean he can't be overthrown, however: the Maenads could, as an example, have thrown him out of their prime world.