PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk/tech ideas for wondrous items

Madeiner
2011-10-27, 10:05 AM
Hi there.

I am DMing a fantasy campaign with steampunk and tech elements.
I'm looking for ideas for wondrous steampunk items.

Ideally they'd function like wondrous or other magic items, but with a steampunk feeling. I'm not looking much for mechanics, but mostly descriptions and ideas.

One example could be a steam jetpack, which functions similarly to "winged boots", but requires fuel, is prone to malfunctions when hit, and also has an extendable "parachute" in case of failure (same effects as "ring of free falling")

Is there a source for ideas like that?
Thanks

Beowulf DW
2011-10-27, 10:38 AM
The Gnome City in Dragonfable had a lot of steampunk inspired items and weapons. Like the steampowered sonic screwdriver. Or the GPST: Gnomish Personal Steam Tank.

gbprime
2011-10-27, 11:05 AM
My current campaign has a new class of clockwork device called an Aetherium. It basically uses counter-rotating magical substances to generate an energy field of some sort. This is used to simulate all manner of spells and items. And discounts are given for "bulky" and "incredibly bulky" (which usually means it's immobile).

Current items in use (or planned) by the party include...

Chaotic Aetherium (a brooch pin that generates Entropic Shield)
Energized Harness (gauntlets of Ogre Power that take up both glove and bracer slots)
Nackle Mk III (a quiver that charges a javelin up to be a Javelin of LIghtning several times per day. Fumbles are HILARIOUS...)

The Reverend
2011-10-27, 01:52 PM
DragonMech and Iron Kingdoms are the world books your looking for.

DragonMech has a magic alternative called steam powers, also steam powered mecha combat!! Some of the mecha are city sized literally. Its a good read if you want steampunky dnd, magic is built to be not as good in this system

Iron Kingdoms is the D20 dnd world book for the miniature wargame WarMacine. They are more about magick and tech working together, but purely magic items nit only require XP to build, but also permanent hit point loss. They can use magicgenerators to produce mana. Also steampunk golema, with magick brains. Warforged would be at home in this setting.

The Boz
2011-10-27, 02:29 PM
Step One: Play Arcanum.
Step Two: Become inspired.

Funkyodor
2011-10-28, 02:53 AM
The repeating crossbows (light and heavy) are good for a steam punkish upgrade. Change it to no-action reload after every shot, but extra full round actions to reload the gear filled magazine-of-holding that contains 15 bolts. Add a modified repeating hand crossbow with a 7 bolt magazine. You can add a jam result which can be fixed some kind of skill check.

Helm of Underwater action has loads of steam-punky options. Have it be a copper deep diving helmet and "leather" armor that interlock, providing underwater action time.

Rod of Lordly might is perfect because it already has buttons that activate the various functions, just punk it up a bit.

Figurines of Wondrous power could be wind-up mechanical toys that expand into thier animal type per the item.