PDA

View Full Version : Wand's, Rod's and other stuff.

JohnDaBarr
2011-10-27, 11:40 AM
First this question is bugging me and I can't find an answer: can a wizard when creating wand's lower the CL of the spell he intends to put in the wand (or scroll)? like lvl 10 wizard can make lvl 1 CL 1 spell wand.

What wand's are good for the Rod of many wand's?? first thing on my mind was fireball because one is enough to change a situation but three at once..... even magic missile sounds good

Is there a way to expand your Spellbook except for getting Boccob's Blessed Book?

Redshirt Army
2011-10-27, 11:45 AM
If one spellbook doesn't have enough pages, there's nothing stopping you from just buying another one and writing down spells in both.

PersonMan
2011-10-27, 11:48 AM
1. Yes. In fact, magic items are usually made at minimum CL to save money.

2. I'm not sure what you mean...I'd suggest utility spells, though, so that you can save spell slots for other things.

3. Well, you can buy more, or just work out a reasonable price for 'tear out back over, add more pages, put back cover back on' with your DM.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-27, 11:54 AM
What wand's are good for the Rod of many wand's?? first thing on my mind was fireball because one is enough to change a situation but three at once..... even magic missile sounds good

I like layering them up, using cheaper ones in the more expensive slots. Fireball + glitterdust + magic missile is a solid use of an action. Note that if your GM allows Eternal wands to be used in such a device, it might not be a bad idea for slot 1 and 2.

Big Fau
2011-10-27, 12:06 PM
Cure Serious Wounds for all three in case of emergency. 9d8+15 healing would do wonders.

Grease, Glitterdust, and something with an ongoing effect would also work (Creeping Cold perhaps).

Realistically though, the RoMWs is good for spells that don't offer SR. Find as many of those spells as you can, otherwise the wands you use will have to be set to max CL.

Keld Denar
2011-10-27, 12:10 PM
Seeking Ray (PHBII) is one of the better spells to put in a wand. It does 4d6 damage at CL3 (min CL for a 2nd level spell). Costs you 4500g per wand. When you hit with the ray, it connects you with a link to the target that gives you a +4 to hit on future attacks.

If you use a Rod of Many Wands, you'd get 12d6 damage for 9 charges (3 from each), though, which would cost you 810g per "shot", or ~19.25 gold per HP.

Instead of buying the rod, you could get a Metamagic Wand Grip of Split Ray (way cheaper, Complete Mage), and that would give you 8d6 damage per charge, 3 times per day, and only cost you ~3.2 gold per HP.

OHHHHHHH, get 3 wands of Whirling Blade (SpC). That would give you 3 attacks at full BAB against all foes in a 60' line (or 1 attack against all foes in 3 60' lines). Hmmm, you could do some damage with that if you had a properly enchanted dagger. The best thing about Whirling Blade is that it isn't CL or save dependant, making it ideal for a wand.

tyckspoon
2011-10-27, 12:13 PM
Damage tends not to be cost effective in the Rod of Many Wands; the extra charges it spends and the need to make/buy wands with a higher CL and higher-level spells to make damage spells work well means you spend waaay too much for the benefit (for example, a minimum CL Wand of Fireball costs 11250, or 225 per charge. Firing one shot from it in a fully racked Rod draws 3 charges, for 675 GP launched per shot and only 5d6 damage returns. Use three of those and you're burning more than 2k gold every time you use it; not really worth the cash spent unless you're an Artificer making them yourself for 30% of market cost.)

Best set of wands for the money would be the low-level control/debuff standbys; something like Ray of Enfeeblement/Ray of Clumsiness/.. Ray of Exhaustion would be great for completely boning a single enemy, but it's an expensive spell for this purpose- see above about Fireballs. Glitterdust or Web, perhaps. Or one of the other low-level debuffs in Spell Compendium- Shadow Spray/Ray of Sickness would be ok.

JohnDaBarr
2011-10-27, 12:25 PM
a hell I knew it, when something look's good then something is wrong, and most of the time it's cost-effectiveness, well then Rod of many wand's is for buffs and debuffs if you don't have anything smarter to do!

'tear out back over, add more pages, put back cover back on'

I like this solution

nedz
2011-10-27, 03:56 PM
Rod with Wands of Web and Stinking Cloud
Or Ray of Enfeeblement + Shadow spray
Or Knock + Silence
Really any good combinations.

jiriku
2011-10-27, 05:28 PM
RoMW is nice for combos that lock down an opponent, but are easily disrupted if the opponent moves. For example, web + fog cloud is superior to solid fog. Also, there are some spells that have extra effect if cast on a foe repeatedly or cast in tandem with another spell. For example, ray of exhaustion + escalating enfeeblement.

Big Fau
2011-10-27, 06:04 PM
RoMW is nice for combos that lock down an opponent, but are easily disrupted if the opponent moves. For example, web + fog cloud is superior to solid fog. Also, there are some spells that have extra effect if cast on a foe repeatedly or cast in tandem with another spell. For example, ray of exhaustion + escalating enfeeblement.

Or the Heart of X spells (the ones that can fit in a wand anyway).