PDA

View Full Version : Stronghold 3 - Is it that awful?

Athaniar
2011-10-27, 01:06 PM
I like the first Stronghold and still play it on occasion, so when I heard they were going to make a direct sequel to it, promising to appeal to fans of the original and continuing its story, I was naturally excited. Since it's the original developers and all that, the result has to be good, right?

Well, now that it's been released, it has NOT received favorable reviews, not by critics and certainly not by fans. It's been described as not only horribly glitchy, but not even a complete game, and what is complete appears to be definitely subpar (poorly drawn black-and-white images instead of cutscenes? Huh?). I was going to buy it, but now I'm far, far from sure. Have any of you, my fellow Playgrounders, actually played it? Is it actually decent or is it the Highlander: The Source of the series?

Yora
2011-10-28, 10:30 AM
From a german forum, oppinions are generally very bad. Havn't played it myself, though.

On amazon.de it has 1.3 stars. And german players usually go completely crazy for those types of games. :smallbiggrin:

Leecros
2011-10-28, 08:45 PM
I haven't played it, but i do have to say that i have bought and played video games with unfavorable reviews and have enjoyed them quite a bit. I would probably wait a little bit and see if i could find Lets plays' or videos that present gameplay mechanics and make my decision based on that than on the opinions' of others'.

UndeadGhost17
2011-10-29, 11:35 PM
just payed £30 for it and the biggest mistake ever. it is absolutely horrible. there isnt even a skirmish mode, so when you go threw the campaign you can either do one of two VERY exciting options
1. play 4-5 different preset and very small siege battles
2. go to the wonderful "free build" mode where u get a tiny map to build a castle in, with no enemies or challenges at all

worst rts i have seen produced in years.

Sir Dar
2011-10-30, 01:03 AM
My interest in this game die long ago, after finding out about the drm it will be using. Petty much a no buy and get something else for me. Did have to do a quick look up on how well its rate, after seeing this thread's title. Its interesting to see how its been rated very low from a quick look up of it.

From a german forum, oppinions are generally very bad. Havn't played it myself, though.

On amazon.de it has 1.3 stars. And german players usually go completely crazy for those types of games.

It got the same rating, from the usa Amazon.

just payed £30 for it and the biggest mistake ever. it is absolutely horrible. there isnt even a skirmish mode, so when you go threw the campaign you can either do one of two VERY exciting options
1. play 4-5 different preset and very small siege battles
2. go to the wonderful "free build" mode where u get a tiny map to build a castle in, with no enemies or challenges at all

worst rts i have seen produced in years.

No skirmish mode? That is interesting, for just about every game before this one had a skirmish mode. Wonder why they didn't add one to this game. May of had something to do with the first stronghold not having one. I would say, faster game play and a skirmish mode was what stronghold crusader did right. Does seem odd not to put it in, when just about every other stronghold game before it had it.

UndeadGhost17
2011-10-30, 08:18 AM
yeh in an interview they said something about "going back to their roots" apparently they wanted this one to "be more about the story" it just sounds like lazyness to me, anybody who plays rts games will want a skirmish mode, infact alot of the time ide play the skirmish mode to death before even starting the story, such a disappointment. literately you should see the game running its awful, you start off with a barn and a hero you then select what you want to build and it instantly appears fully built (no villagers building it, don't have to have anyone to build) so you can basically have the whole thing built in about 10 seconds, so pointless. enemies just fall to the ground and vanish instantly when killed, this game could have been playable maybe 10-15 years ago but then again "three kingdoms - fate of the dragon" still kicks its ass and its from ages ago.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-30, 01:43 PM
This is why they invented Stronghold 2 and Stronghold Legends. :smallwink: Older games are better anyways.