View Full Version : PF: How hard is it for a 3rd level Alchemist to buy +5 Shield of Faith potions?

Starbuck_II
2011-10-27, 01:52 PM
I was recently introduced to the 2nd level spell Alchemical Allocation: it lets an alchemist drink and potion and not use it up.

Realizing this means you can buy a good potion like +5 shield of Faith potion (900 gp), and keep it for as many 2nd level spell slots you have.
Issue is you need a buffing round (as you have to use the extract then drink the potion), but at 20th casting that lasts a long time.

Would any of you have an issue with this combo (else why would they make a 2nd level extract allow it in any variation)?

Would make alchemist decent tanks at low levels. Granted, it is quite expensive investment.
Hey, it would make decent healers on self (buy a really strong healing potion and you can reuse it) like a CSW, caster 15 potion is 2250 gp (heals 3d8+15), although it takes an extra turn to use it (so no use it up).

Surprised no Alchemist guide ever mentioned this extract.
The items are low cost usually, at most 3000 gp (for 20th caster) and the spell are below 4th so they should be available to buy from I think.
So do you think any DM would have issue with idea?

gbprime
2011-10-27, 02:08 PM
I'd say potions like that would be rare or special order only. Most people make magic items at or near the minimum caster level. While a potion such as this would qualify for that exception-to-the-rule category (along with wands of Magic Missile, Scorching Ray, and Resist Energy), but most people would not be CAPABLE of producing one with that high of caster level.

ericgrau
2011-10-27, 02:17 PM
It's a matter of finding an 18th level caster. Pretty hard normally, but pretty easy in the capital of the country. Sure he needs to have brew potion, but that's reasonable if the caster has retired from adventuring.

I think it would be an uncommon request, but more common than you might think. Out of the non-cure potions it's one of the better emergency options even for regular PCs. So you might need a special order (coming back the next day/week) or he might have 2-3 on the shelf.

Starbuck_II
2011-10-27, 03:13 PM
It's a matter of finding an 18th level caster. Pretty hard normally, but pretty easy in the capital of the country. Sure he needs to have brew potion, but that's reasonable if the caster has retired from adventuring.

I think it would be an uncommon request, but more common than you might think. Out of the non-cure potions it's one of the better emergency options even for regular PCs. So you might need a special order (coming back the next day/week) or he might have 2-3 on the shelf.

Really? I was wondering because the potions are in the PF book so they are standard on the table, you can roll them possibly:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/potions

But thanks for both your advice.

AslanCross
2011-10-27, 08:25 PM
Really? I was wondering because the potions are in the PF book so they are standard on the table, you can roll them possibly:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/potions

But thanks for both your advice.

It's the same table from d20srd (it says so). Ultimately it's still up to the DM whether such potions are available, because it will require a very high-level caster and such casters are not available in all settings.

Also, there's only a 1% chance of rolling it as part of a major magical treasure, so that should speak of its rarity. Magic items of such power, though they may be consumable, shouldn't be easily available.

NamelessNPC
2011-10-27, 09:41 PM
I guess this isn't an issue by RAW, but what in all of the multiverse could you possibly offer to a 18th level PC in order for him to spend 4 hours making you a potion?

Larpus
2011-10-28, 07:58 AM
Indeed, the only problem with that is finding a high level character who is willing to make the potion, especially when it's (for him) such a low level spell.

Still, if you can do it, yes, it does mean that Alchemists can be quite tanky and the such in the lower levels, it's a pretty cool extract, allows you to break spell economy by "casting" 3rd level spells on your 2nd level slots.

And Ogre's (http://pathfinder.ogrehut.com/2010/07/alchemist-guide-extracts/) guide did make quite a fuss about this extract.

Mustard
2011-10-28, 11:33 AM
This came up in a game a friend of mine ran. The alchemist player wanted to use a +5 potion of Magic Fang (or Greater? Eh, not really important) with Alchemical Allocation. The GM ruled that the enhancement bonus was capped based on level. I forget exactly how, either through the rules for maximum enhancement bonus for crafting magic weapons/armor, or (level divided by 5) + 1, or something like that.

I think that was a reasonable limitation.