PDA

View Full Version : Incantatrix

Talya
2011-10-27, 02:28 PM
No, not the broken-ness. Not build advice. The name.

Incantatrix.

Wouldn't you need to be female to take that class? At least they used "she" in the class description. Wouldn't the male equivalent be an Incantator?

All you male wizards who refer to yourselves as incantatrixes may have gender identification issues!

(Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Akisa
2011-10-27, 02:31 PM
Actually the player's guide to Faerun also have Incantator for male gender participants of the prc.

faceroll
2011-10-27, 02:34 PM
All you male wizards who refer to yourselves as incantatrixes may have gender identification issues!

English mother****er, do you speak it!

(We don't care about gendered nouns- this is english.)

Eldariel
2011-10-27, 02:34 PM
Actually the player's guide to Faerun also have Incantator for male gender participants of the prc.

Yeah, to be precise it states "the vast majority are females hence the name; the rare male is called incantatar".

Talya
2011-10-27, 02:35 PM

Sure we don't.

So Dominatrix applies to men, too, then? ;)

Infernalbargain
2011-10-27, 02:39 PM
Wow, I just now noticed the "ta" in the name, I've always pronounced it like Incantrix (or Incantar for the manly men).

Talya
2011-10-27, 02:41 PM
Wow, I just now noticed the "ta" in the name, I've always pronounced it like Incantrix (or Incantar for the manly men).

Yeah, makes it sound like a vegetable from a native-Andean culture.

Incatatoes!

King Atticus
2011-10-27, 02:46 PM
I'm AFB right now but if I remember correctly don't they use female pronouns in pretty much EVERY class description? So the actual description having a female bent doesn't really have any gender limitations. Unless the prerecs specifically have a gender requirement don't read too much into it. :smallwink:

Infernalbargain
2011-10-27, 02:52 PM
I'm AFB right now but if I remember correctly don't they use female pronouns in pretty much EVERY class description? So the actual description having a female bent doesn't really have any gender limitations. Unless the prerecs specifically have a gender requirement don't read too much into it. :smallwink:

They use female for every rogue and wizard PrC. Male for the rest.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-27, 02:54 PM
Sure we don't.

So Dominatrix applies to men, too, then? ;)

Just remember... English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, clubs them upside the head, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

So yes, it's got more contradictions than your average political campaign, and gender-specific pronouns only occasionally apply, even if they are from the same generic source (latin, in this instance).

Couple this with a rapidly declining education system, and the subsequent upswing of colloquialisms and irregular use of what passes for structure in an already hodge-podge mish-mash of a language, and you get what you see here.

Winds
2011-10-27, 02:54 PM
I just call them 'Incanters' in any case...

faceroll
2011-10-27, 03:01 PM
Couple this with a rapidly declining education system, and the subsequent upswing of colloquialisms and irregular use of what passes for structure

Langauges change. No need to be ignorant about it.

Talya
2011-10-27, 03:14 PM
Langauges change.

Not on my watch! :smallwink:

May the upper planes help us if "rouge" ever actually becomes an acceptable alternate for Rogue.

A_S
2011-10-27, 03:20 PM

(Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Obviously we have the good taste to refer to ourselves as Incantatrices. Those of us versed in Mathamancy, at any rate.

Talya
2011-10-27, 03:21 PM
Obviously we have the good taste to refer to ourselves as Incantatrices. Those of us versed in Mathamancy, at any rate.

Dominatrixes and Dominatrices are both considered valid. I assumed the same would be true of Incantarixes/Incantatrices.

A_S
2011-10-27, 03:27 PM
Dominatrixes and Dominatrices are both considered valid. I assumed the same would be true of Incantarixes/Incantatrices.

Wait, "dominatrices" is seriously a word? I thought I was just making a matrix joke...

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-27, 03:33 PM
Wait, "dominatrices" is seriously a word? I thought I was just making a matrix joke...

Yes, it is. And if it applies, then either you're in deep, deep trouble, or you are in for the night of your life, depending on your proclivities.

Krosta
2011-10-27, 03:50 PM

This isn't always true. Even in native english words sometimes gendered nouns show up (e.g. sorcerer/sorceress).

By the way that's the latin word for "enchanter" and, following the latin rules, it should be:
Incantatrix (pl. Incantatrices) for females
Incantator (pl. Incantatores) for males

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-27, 04:01 PM
Langauges change. No need to be ignorant about it.

I believe this is what I just said. Or rather, I described one of the several processes by which languages shift over time, which is currently prominently applicable to the majority of the English language on both sides of the pond.

Your inability to comprehend this does not, in any way, indicate a lack of education on my part. Quite the reverse, in point of fact.

faceroll
2011-10-27, 04:17 PM
I believe this is what I just said. Or rather, I described one of the several processes by which languages shift over time, which is currently prominently applicable to the majority of the English language on both sides of the pond.

Your inability to comprehend this does not, in any way, indicate a lack of education on my part. Quite the reverse, in point of fact.

You're attributing an "upswing of colloquialism" (whatever that means) to a "rapidly declining education system" (without any support for your claim) and provide "poor structure" (different structure is not poor structure) as evidence of your assertion.

Shadowknight12
2011-10-27, 05:36 PM
You mean you're not actually legally required to dress as a woman if you take a level in Incantatrix? Great scott, I've wrong all these years!

Talya
2011-10-27, 05:40 PM
You mean you're not actually legally required to dress as a woman if you take a level in Incantatrix? Great scott, I've wrong all these years!

Put on your robe and wizard hat.

Eldariel
2011-10-27, 05:45 PM
Oh god, this can't lead to anything good...

Shadowknight12
2011-10-27, 06:34 PM
Put on your robe and wizard hat.

And then shake it all about?

Sir Augusta
2011-10-27, 06:48 PM
Just remember... English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, clubs them upside the head, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

So yes, it's got more contradictions than your average political campaign.

Do you mind if I sig this? This has to be the best explanation for why English is half-Latin, half-German EVER!

herrhauptmann
2011-10-27, 06:56 PM
Do you mind if I sig this? This has to be the best explanation for why English is half-Latin, half-German EVER!

Don't forget a sizable smattering of french too.

Shadowknight12
2011-10-27, 06:56 PM

You forgot French. And Spanish. And Yiddish. And Italian. And native-American tongues.

EDIT: Rogues. Rogues around every corner.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-27, 06:57 PM
Aside from new world fruits/vegetables, what Native American words are prevalent in the english language? :smallconfused:

Zaq
2011-10-27, 07:05 PM
Aside from new world fruits/vegetables, what Native American words are prevalent in the english language? :smallconfused:

Let's see. My copy of The Origins and Development of the English Language gives a few: moccasin, papoose, powwow, squaw, toboggan (via Canadian French), tomahawk, totem, chipmunk, moose, opossum, pecan (via American French), skunk, squash, terrapin, woodchuck, bayou (via Louisiana French), catalpa, hogan, and teepee. Not exhaustive, but not intended to be.

Shadowknight12
2011-10-27, 07:07 PM

Caribou, chipmunk, Eskimo, hickory, Husky, moose, muskeg, muskrat, opossum, pecan, quahog, raccoon, skunk, squash, toboggan, tomahawk, totem, woodchuck, coyote, ocelot, mole, shack (yes, the word shack comes from Nahuatl), jerky, barbecue, anole, canoe, hammock, hurricane, savanna, mangrove, cougar, jaguar, macaw, petunia, toucan, cannibal, geoduck, hogan, hooch, manatee, sasquatch, sequoia, sockeye, skookum and teepee; to name a few.

EDIT: What's this, a Thieves' Guild?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-10-27, 07:28 PM
You're attributing an "upswing of colloquialism" (whatever that means) to a "rapidly declining education system" (without any support for your claim) and provide "poor structure" (different structure is not poor structure) as evidence of your assertion.
Okay, at this point, I'm going to assume that you're being serious, and respond seriously.

The 'poor structure' is referring to the English language as a whole, which has the WORST record for following its own sentence structure rules, indeed it has more exceptions, and exceptions to the exceptions, than any other language on the planet.

If you can't figure out what someone is trying to say, try Goggling it. Or, failing that, look it up on Wikipedia. Not that either of these are a particularly reliable source of data, but at least that way you don't sound like you dropped out of elementary school when you respond like this.

An upswing of colloquialism due to a downturn of education in general means that as people become less educated about how to speak their language, they will misuse it so often that misuses end up becoming codified and then becomes the new rules of how to speak the language. It's language drift like this which differentiates Australian English from American English and British English.

It doesn't imply that it is incorrect, it's implying that it's redefining what 'correct' is to make what was once incorrect to be the correct way.

Does that make any more sense?

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-27, 07:44 PM
An upswing of colloquialism due to a downturn of education in general means that as people become less educated about how to speak their language, they will misuse it so often that misuses end up becoming codified and then becomes the new rules of how to speak the language. It's language drift like this which differentiates Australian English from American English and British English.

It doesn't imply that it is incorrect, it's implying that it's redefining what 'correct' is to make what was once incorrect to be the correct way.

An on topic example, would be when he misunderstood the word ignorant and therefore misused it. His misunderstanding is a very common misunderstanding and therefore was viewed as proper use of the word ignorant.

Rising Phoenix
2011-10-27, 07:57 PM
You forgot French. And Spanish. And Yiddish. And Italian. And native-American tongues.

EDIT: Rogues. Rogues around every corner.

And Greek...

Shadowknight12
2011-10-27, 08:07 PM
And Greek...

Pfft. Latin is just updated Greek anyway.