PDA

View Full Version : Help build the omniscience machine!

tuesdayscoming
2011-10-27, 04:14 PM
Okay. So I have this idea for a campaign I'm working on. Ideally, it will be a mechanic by which a particular individual will have knowledge of everything going on in a particular area 24/7.

For those interested in the mechanics of it so far, I've spoiled the idea below.

There is a PrC in Dragon Compendium (Cerebrex, I believe) that gives perfect recall in all five senses. We will have a warforged (for the arguable immortality that being a construct gives) take this class.

Then, we have a Dvati pair take levels in Fiend of Possession (mild shenanigans required) up until the point that they can possess a person, but not control them. Both Dvati are constantly aware of everything that the other knows. Fiend of Possession allows the Fiend to probe the memories of the creature it is possessing as a non-action. Further, they are constantly aware of the surface thoughts of the person they are possessing.

We have one Dvati possess the warforged. The other possesses someone else. Let's call him Steve. Effectively, this creates a mental link-up between Steve and our warforged, giving Steve access to the warforged's perfect memory.

Now, all we need to do is make it so that the warforged is constantly scrying (or some such nonsense) on an area. Steve need only think to himself, "What was going on in that location yesterday at 3'o'clock?," and the link-up should be able to deliver the goods at effectively instant speed.

The basic question is this:

How might one go about creating a permanent clairvoyance-style effect covering as large an area as possible?

Diefje
2011-10-27, 04:29 PM
A hole in the ceiling?

Prying Eyes (and Greater) has a good radius, but require a "download". Info isn't relayed as it happens.

Slipperychicken
2011-10-27, 04:40 PM
Ever heard of the Omniscificer? Get literally infinite skill checks, including knowledges. Each 5 beyond a DC yeilds one additional fact. Since (infinity - DC)/5 = infinity, you get infinite facts, and even if you rule that you can't know future events, you could easily derive future events from perfect knowledge of everything. Knowledge checks aren't an action, so you can "update" infinitely.

tuesdayscoming
2011-10-27, 05:01 PM
I had, indeed, heard of the omniscificer, but had never actually looked into the details of it until just now.

Damn, is it dirty. Terrifyingly effective, but dirty.

It's a bit more cheese than I feel comfortable inviting into my world, I fear. And I'm not necessarily looking for a way to become truly omniscient. More just to have the power to surveil a large area over a long period of time.