PDA

View Full Version : One Item!

Dalek-K
2011-10-27, 05:17 PM
My friend sent me a request, choose one item with these restriction/rules

Can be any published item
No item that player creates like a +2 vorpal spell storing dagger (unless that has been published lol). Must be premade.
Can be an artifact
The only items from the Epic Level handbook that can be acquired is Artifacts.

My friend's character is a Fighter 2 that is going into Alchemist.

This item will be part of a quest reward.

Keld Denar
2011-10-27, 05:23 PM
Instant Fortress (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#instantFortress). Your teams own personal Batcave, wherever you are, whereever you need it.

Its something your whole team can use. If you get like, the Sword of Kas, only one person can wield it, which is kinda a bummer for everyone. Unless everyone is getting their own toy to play with...

Dalek-K
2011-10-27, 05:30 PM
Yes everyone is allowed to chose one item.

And holy crap that is a good weapon ;)

Arundel
2011-10-27, 05:36 PM
Any artifact from the ELH? What on earth is the trade-off for this?

Invulnerable coat of Arnd, Ring of Gaxx, Codex of Infinite planes, really anything is rather absurd for a level 2.

Dalek-K
2011-10-27, 05:40 PM
I don't think they will be getting it just yet...

They level pretty fast though.

gooddragon1
2011-10-27, 05:42 PM
Candle of Invocation?

Gate in an efreet for 3 wishes (1 of which is another candle of invocation). Make 2 other wishes. Gate in an efreet for 3 wishes (1 of which is another candle of invocation. Make 2 other wishes...

Demon of Death
2011-10-27, 05:45 PM
Can be any published item.

Assuming this includes Dragon content, I give to you Dragon 286 Page 57

The Black Elfstone, it basically takes all Sp,Su,and because of the transparency (IIRC) also gives all Ps abilities, and Spellcasting Ability (to an extent) and gives them to you, oh, and it sucks items of their power and gives it to you without having to wear to items.

If you want I can list off a few of the creatures I think it might fun to use it on.
And, you can use Gate to get a Celestial or Fiendish version of any creature, and they become Outsiders, therefore eligible to be Gated.
To overcome the DC 20 Insanity spell, you can use an item from Tome of Battle to replace the Will save with a Concentration check, which can be gotten fairly high.

Mockingbird
2011-10-27, 05:47 PM
If he's dipping into Alchemist, get some crazy-awesome potion and snag the Alchemical Allocation discovery. Basically, it lets you use potions more than once.

Lord Il Palazzo
2011-10-27, 05:47 PM
DECK OF MANY THINGS!!!!!

Seriously, now that that's out of my system, how about a Luck Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#luckBlade) or a Ring of Three Wishes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#threeWishes). If the DM is the sort not to screw players over for making wishes, it's tough to beat having three wishes on standby for a rainy day.

That said, the Instant Fortress is still kind of tempting, even if he were to ignore the whole "fortress" thing and use it as a grenade that deal 10d10 damage on command.

Looking at the SRD's artifacts, the Shield of the Sun (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#theShieldoftheSun) could be fun if his allignment supports it. Not only would he have a +5 shield and spell resistance, but with the paladin casting, a fighter could have give himself (or an ally) a +5 holy weapon for up to 80 rounds per day via Holy Sword.

deuxhero
2011-10-27, 06:01 PM
Luck blade with 3 wishes.

Dalek-K
2011-10-27, 06:05 PM
If he's dipping into Alchemist, get some crazy-awesome potion and snag the Alchemical Allocation discovery. Basically, it lets you use potions more than once.

Technically the dip was in fighter since he wants his character to go Alchemist 18

I was reading some of the weapons in the ELH and daaang Soul Drinker (bastard sword) is awesome. (banned though)

Shield of the sun would be awesome if not for the quest...

Lord Il Palazzo
2011-10-27, 06:22 PM
Shield of the sun would be awesome if not for the quest...I thought the same thing at first, but it is just once per year (so it could easilly not come up for a while) and more or less just gives another plot hook the DM can use.

Dalek-K
2011-10-27, 06:53 PM
Is there a 3.5 book with just magic items?

Also is there a premade weapon that acts like the soul drinker? but maybe not so... epic?

herrhauptmann
2011-10-27, 07:02 PM
Is there a 3.5 book with just magic items?

Also is there a premade weapon that acts like the soul drinker? but maybe not so... epic?

Magic item compendium!
How about the lifedrinker, also in the SRD.

Dalek-K
2011-10-27, 07:06 PM
Life-drinkers are bad for humans to handle or anything that isn't undead or a golem.

Thanks! I never actually knew what MIC was for -_-;;;

ericgrau
2011-10-27, 07:12 PM
<jumps straight to epic major artifacts>
Golem armor seems good in both short and long run.

The axe of the dwarvish lords seems best in the short run for its summon if you don't expect this game to go long.

If there are a lot of undead there's the invulnerable coat later stacked with other turn & caster level boosting items to obliterate encounters.

Medic!
2011-10-27, 07:17 PM
The Cup and Talisman of Al'Akbar (free disease curing/cure pots/resurrections anyone?) and the Mace of St. Cuthbert (who wouldn't want Searing Light at 20th CL at will?) were always big favorites of mine artifact-wise...and I think someone already mentioned the golem armor thing from ELH.

Dalek-K
2011-10-27, 07:58 PM
So after talking to him, it looks like he is leaning toward weapons.

Is there a good list somewhere of premade weapons?

Also since he will have UMD and a "Caster Level" what about rods/staves that are pretty awesome?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-27, 08:02 PM
So after talking to him, it looks like he is leaning toward weapons.

Is there a good list somewhere of premade weapons?

Also since he will have UMD and a "Caster Level" what about rods/staves that are pretty awesome?

Ok, Rods may be useful but staves have limited number of usages so those are pretty much a waste here. Check out SRD for unique weapons and Magic Item Compendium have a ton of unique weapons. But, frankly, most artifacts will be better if you find the right one.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-27, 08:16 PM
Life-drinkers are bad for humans to handle or anything that isn't undead or a golem.

Buy some soulfire armor (BoED). Problem solved

Re'ozul
2011-10-27, 08:26 PM
For weapons (If you don't mind a little evil) the Angelwing razor from BovD is pretty good. (+5 vorpal longsword that ignores all hardness and DR)

The Ruby Rod of Asmodeus is also good (though I'd be weary of taking something with a "of X" component in its name)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-27, 08:27 PM
Buy some soulfire armor (BoED). Problem solved

Thats just a smidge out of a level 2 character's price range.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-27, 09:11 PM
Thats just a smidge out of a level 2 character's price range.

It's a level 2 character where he may be getting an artifact. Wealth by level means next to nothing at this point.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-27, 09:13 PM
It's a level 2 character where he may be getting an artifact. Wealth by level means next to nothing at this point.

as a quest reward. Its a one-off thing. Not a shopping spree. Otherwise the title of the thread would be "Many Items!"

deuxhero
2011-10-27, 09:15 PM
So a suit of Soulfire armor with spiked gauntlets enchanted as a lifedrinker?

Dalek-K
2011-10-27, 09:17 PM
Because of a quest... And it doesn't mean it will be right now. Hll it could be when they are level 20 >.>

herrhauptmann
2011-10-27, 09:25 PM
Because of a quest... And it doesn't mean it will be right now. Hll it could be when they are level 20 >.>

At which point, everyone should have owned a suit of soulfire armor for the last 5 levels or more.