PDA

View Full Version : Is this Belkars killer?

Mastikator
2011-10-27, 05:24 PM
We all know Belkar's death has been long foreshadowed, no wait, explicitly told, by Rich. And there have been speculations that his time is closing in on him, Belkar is in a colosseum where it's very likely that he'll die.
In this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html) comic I believe it is foreshadowed (3rd row, 3rd panel) "Later the weaker gladiator will be killed, and then you will kill the one who killed him in a big climatic battle".
At this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0780.html) point I believe the weaker one is killed, we can see the one who is going to avenge him in the previous link at the last panel, but with only one exception to the trainers speech is that the guy who got his bread stolen wasn't the one who was killed.

So what do you guys think? Yet another kooky theory or does it have any merit?

Blisstake
2011-10-27, 05:29 PM
Very unlikely. I doubt the Giant will have the death of a major character be done so uneventfully by some no-name character. And not any random person is going to be able to take down Belkar at his high level.

ThePhantasm
2011-10-27, 05:36 PM
But the guy who defended the "weaker" gladiator was killed by Belkar. It is the weaker gladiator who is left, not the stronger one. See the final panel of the first strip you cite and compare it with the other strip. (EDIT: I see you mention this at the end of the OP)

The gladiator master was just mentioning cliches. That doesn't mean they'll necessarily happen.

veti
2011-10-27, 06:14 PM
Yeah, apart from the stealing-bread bit, nothing the trainer spoke about has happened.

And now it looks like our heroes are out of the arena (for good? - I find it hard to imagine Tarquin throwing them back now, that would just be repetitious), there's no time left to catch the eye of a beautiful noblewoman. So the rest of the programme is probably off now, as well.

Nevereatcars
2011-10-27, 07:03 PM
And no, Vaarsuvius is not a noble. S/he is the offspring of two Rangers. Just heading off that argument real quick. Don't mind me.

Bulldog Psion
2011-10-27, 07:03 PM
Considering that the gladiator killed by Mr. Scruffy in the second strip you link to was the putative "avenger" from the first, the situation you describe is, for better or worse, impossible.

Goosefarble
2011-10-27, 10:18 PM
And no, Vaarsuvius is not a noble. S/he is the offspring of two Rangers. Just heading off that argument real quick. Don't mind me.

There's also that question mark above the whole "woman" thing, of course.

Geordnet
2011-10-27, 10:40 PM
Actually, if you consider the guy Belkar fought to be the weak guy, who again was it that offered to give up his own bread?

Hmm..... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0744.html)

TheMac04
2011-10-27, 10:46 PM
Actually, if you consider the guy Belkar fought to be the weak guy, who again was it that offered to give up his own bread?

Hmm..... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0744.html)

Second this.

Flame of Anor
2011-10-27, 10:47 PM
There's also that question mark above the whole "woman" thing, of course.

And that V has shown exactly zero sexual interest in Roy, and considerably less than that for Belkar.

Goosefarble
2011-10-27, 11:51 PM
And that V has shown exactly zero sexual interest in Roy, and considerably less than that for Belkar.

Or, indeed, sexual interest in anyone.

Procyonpi
2011-10-28, 01:22 AM
Umm... Belkar didn't kill the weaker one. He killed the one who stuck up for the "weaker" one when Belkar stole his bread. Rich was making fun of gladiator cliche's.

Flame of Anor
2011-10-28, 02:46 AM
Or, indeed, sexual interest in anyone.

I was thinking of Inkyrius...but, yeah, you're right. :smallbiggrin:

Geordnet
2011-10-28, 02:58 PM
*AHEM*

Let's get back to the actual topic, now...

For those who didn't get my post, I was saying that the guy Belkar fought was the 'weaker gladiator', (what, being a first level commoner and all) and not taking the speech 100% litterally.

But then I made a connection to Roy being the 'stronger gladiator', as he offered to give up his bread.

So, essentially I was implying that Roy would be the one to kill Belkar.

ThePhantasm
2011-10-28, 04:20 PM

Oh, right. That theory.

I guess anything is possible, but I'm partial to the idea that an IFCC controlled V will kill him.

Geordnet
2011-10-28, 05:07 PM
Sure, of course. Really though, I don't see any one character as being more likely to kill Belkar than any of the others; I was just trying to make a joke, or something like that...

(Sadly, not everyone got it, and what humor there was dried up when I had to explain it.)

NerfTW
2011-10-28, 08:54 PM
Being killed by a gladiator requires him to go back into the arena. It would be extremely pointless and simply wasting time for them to head back in there in the middle of a fight with the Linear Guild.

KingFlameHawk
2011-10-28, 09:25 PM
We all know Belkar's death has been long foreshadowed, no wait, explicitly told, by Rich. And there have been speculations that his time is closing in on him, Belkar is in a colosseum where it's very likely that he'll die.
In this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html) comic I believe it is foreshadowed (3rd row, 3rd panel) "Later the weaker gladiator will be killed, and then you will kill the one who killed him in a big climatic battle".
At this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0780.html) point I believe the weaker one is killed, we can see the one who is going to avenge him in the previous link at the last panel, but with only one exception to the trainers speech is that the guy who got his bread stolen wasn't the one who was killed.

So what do you guys think? Yet another kooky theory or does it have any merit?

I think there is more to this then most people think. I agree that the guy's ability to "kill the one who killed him in a big climatic battle" with Belkar is slim to non but that does not mean he will not be the one to kill Belkar. If he does kill him I see it happening after Belkar has a fight with some one else and is reduced to negative hit points but stabalizes before death. And as he is lying there waiting to be healed the other gladiator shows up an finishes him off. It subverts the big climatic match but will probably follow the "strong homosexual overtones that will not be fully explored".

Forikroder
2011-10-28, 10:15 PM
*AHEM*

Let's get back to the actual topic, now...

For those who didn't get my post, I was saying that the guy Belkar fought was the 'weaker gladiator', (what, being a first level commoner and all) and not taking the speech 100% litterally.

But then I made a connection to Roy being the 'stronger gladiator', as he offered to give up his bread.

its actually plausible, in that case it would sorta be like in the third(?) harry potter book where harry sees who he thinks is his dad, leading him to go back in time to taht spot to see his dad only to reason who he sees is himself making him step out to save himself leading himself to go back to taht spot

if the end of the year comes ond Belkar is still both alive and well and perhaps hurting the OoTS in some way then roy may kill Belkar because he thinks that due to the prophecy he was always supposed to

snikrept
2011-10-29, 01:04 AM

"Mister" scruffy has been female all along then, of course :smallbiggrin:

Quarion Nailo
2011-10-29, 02:03 AM
Oh, but looky here. (http://goo.gl/J17ch) First panel: our beloved "weaker gladiator" is unconscious at the feet of Enor. Presumably he has been bested by someone, and if he gets knocked out by some gladiator, even if it is Enor, there are very slim odds that he'll be able to kill a high-level PC like Belkar.

--QN

zegram 33
2011-10-29, 05:05 AM
i thought there was a bit of a worry along the lines that enor, being half dragon half ogre or watever, would be stronger than Roy or Belkar or pretty much anyone really, if he fought them without any of there weapons (kinda like how roy with the club got whooped by miko, but once he had his sword back he took her down in about 3 hits)

EDIT: just remembered the bar brawl, with roy grabbing enor by the tail and smashing him down, so i guess its possible roy could take enor down unarmed if he just repeatedly did that, haha

Warmage
2011-10-31, 09:57 AM
Roy killing Belkar was entirely plausible before Belkar's character development. I personally believe Belkar will be killed by The Snarl.

Caractacus
2011-11-01, 01:22 PM
if the end of the year comes ond Belkar is still both alive and well and perhaps hurting the OoTS in some way then roy may kill Belkar because he thinks that due to the prophecy he was always supposed to

That would be so extraordinarily unlike Roy that I would suspect a shapeshifter or drunk Rich... :smalltongue:

its actually plausible

See above.

Geordnet
2011-11-01, 03:04 PM
I would suspect a shapeshifter or drunk Rich... :smalltongue:

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/fanart/ootslate1.gif

Dr.Epic
2011-11-01, 09:10 PM

You mean 3rd row, 2nd panel, unless you think oiled up muscles will play a part in his death or he drowns in a tub of oil.

orrion
2011-11-02, 09:42 PM
You're reading too much into a series of dialogue meant to poke fun at various stereotypical items.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-05, 10:42 AM
You're reading too much into a series of dialogue meant to poke fun at various stereotypical items.

What do you mean? Are you trying to say that OotS is some kind of satire/parody of tropes and cliches? No way! It's all the time super serious!

Nimrod's Son
2011-11-08, 10:12 PM
just remembered the bar brawl, with roy grabbing enor by the tail and smashing him down, so i guess its possible roy could take enor down unarmed if he just repeatedly did that, haha
Roy was wearing a Belt of Giant Strength when he did that, though.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-10, 02:11 AM
Roy was wearing a Belt of Giant Strength when he did that, though.

That, and he recently played Super Mario 64.:smallwink:

Capt Spanner
2011-11-10, 05:53 AM
Very unlikely. I doubt the Giant will have the death of a major character be done so uneventfully by some no-name character. And not any random person is going to be able to take down Belkar at his high level.

Indeed. To do so would render Belkar's recent character development as pointless.

He may only have a week or two left to live, but you can acomplish a lot in a week or two.

I believe the entire third book covered only a couple days, for example, as did the first book.

Basically, even if this arc ends soon, Belkar could still reasonably still be alive at the end of Order of the Stick Book 6: This Guess At The Title Will Be Totally Wrong, and a lot can still happen in that time.

rbetieh
2011-11-29, 05:06 PM
I wonder if it might not be the character speaking in the last panel of this comic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0800.html)

Raistlin82
2011-11-30, 03:49 PM
Indeed. To do so would render Belkar's recent character development as pointless.
Au contraire.
If Belkar, after going through a lot of character development, becoming nicer and getting more and more useful to the party (see the two times he helped Roy in the last strips), leading us to believe he's going to perform some sort of final heroic sacrifice, was instead still killed by Roy (maybe because of the latter misunderstanding Belkar's actions at one point), it would be a masterstroke of Aedipic (or Shakespearian, if you prefer) magnitude.
Cruel and brilliant at the same time.
Heh... now I'm actually hoping that things go down this way.

I wonder if it might not be the character speaking in the last panel of this comic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0800.html)
Uuuh... Vaarsuvius? :smallconfused:

Flame of Anor
2011-12-01, 12:47 AM
Au contraire.
If Belkar, after going through a lot of character development, becoming nicer and getting more and more useful to the party (see the two times he helped Roy in the last strips), leading us to believe he's going to perform some sort of final heroic sacrifice, was instead still killed by Roy (maybe because of the latter misunderstanding Belkar's actions at one point), it would be a masterstroke of Aedipic (or Shakespearian, if you prefer) magnitude.
Cruel and brilliant at the same time.
Heh... now I'm actually hoping that things go down this way.

Wait, what's "Aedipic"? Do you mean Oedipal?