PDA

View Full Version : I need a spellbook, but can't get one in the middle of the jungle..

Mockingbird
2011-10-27, 05:44 PM
So I'm the debuffer and fighter in the group. I'm a shapeshifting fighter, with changeling as a race and levels in hexblade and warshaper. I'm planning on taking levels in Magus *I'm sixth level* with the Hexcrafter archetype for more debuffing. Spell combat is the best ability ever for me. All of my attacks at a -2 penalty (with the bard playing, that nullifies) and cast a spell in a full round action. However, the party is in the middle of the jungle, and Magus needs a spellbook. Is there any way I can obtain one?
The party-
Mage (spontaneous caster)
Weird healer-ish thing? I dunno.
Me
Bard
Also, we're using Pathfinder. Thanks!

Diefje
2011-10-27, 06:21 PM
Beg the DM to let you find one, or run into someone that you can buy one from. Or stop the campaign and go buy one in town.

The Boz
2011-10-27, 06:24 PM
Does anyone in the party have any craft? Why not carve one out of wood? It'd be huge, but basically useable.

Arundel
2011-10-27, 06:25 PM
I am AFB, but what prevents you from using leaves and charcoal?

SamBurke
2011-10-27, 06:31 PM
Steal the mage's?

Just ask the DM, as it's a part of the class.

NamelessNPC
2011-10-27, 09:51 PM
Tatoo the spells on your body

Golden Ladybug
2011-10-27, 10:15 PM
I agree with Nameless; Tattooing your spells using the Complete Arcane rules (ask your DM if you can use them; it basically just tells you how much space it takes to inscribe the spells on your skin) and the Cipher Script (I think) Feat lets you get a pretty substantial amount of spells written on your skin for not too expensive a cost.

It also solves the problem of people stealing your spellbook; people can't cunningly take your leg from you while you're sleeping.

Or, they can, but at that point losing your Spellbook is the least of your worries.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-10-27, 10:18 PM
I agree with Nameless; Tattooing your spells using the Complete Arcane rules (ask your DM if you can use them; it basically just tells you how much space it takes to inscribe the spells on your skin) and the Cipher Script (I think) Feat lets you get a pretty substantial amount of spells written on your skin for not too expensive a cost.

It also solves the problem of people stealing your spellbook; people can't cunningly take your leg from you while you're sleeping.

Or, they can, but at that point losing your Spellbook is the least of your worries.

That's my biggest issue with spellbook stealing. If someone can steal your spellbook, they can cut your throat.

Though not having a spellbook can be nice for a lot of situations. Imprisonment, pretending to be another class, etc.

hex0
2011-10-28, 02:13 AM
You can attempt craft skills untrained. Since your INT is high and you can afford take 20 you can get something decent. (Thinking of the Futurama episode where it took Prof. Farnsworth an hour to make a spaceship but a day to make a slingshot tehe.)

You should get a circumstance bonus out of it if your DM is intelligent.

CheshireCatAW
2011-10-28, 02:37 AM
Ask your DM to throw a spellbook-caster at you in a future encounter. Maybe a crazy hermit. Maybe a travelling sellsword.

Yora
2011-10-28, 05:17 AM
Since it's your first level, you probably don't need that many pages right now. So I would also go with chopping down a tree and cut it into a handfull of wooden disks on which you can write. Once you're back in town, you can get decent paper that doesn't weight a ton once you reached 5th level.

faceroll
2011-10-28, 06:20 AM
That's my biggest issue with spellbook stealing. If someone can steal your spellbook, they can cut your throat.

Not everyone's a murderous hobo :smallwink:

Diarmuid
2011-10-28, 09:24 AM
Not only that, but many DM's like the archetype of the overconfident bad guy who will happily leave you to your "certain doom" assuming that whatever trap/plan/etc will properly finish you off.

Analytica
2011-10-28, 09:58 AM
The game Planescape: Torment had a really cool take on this. You craft one out of thorns and scraps of cloth watched a hundred times over, as a quest...

hex0
2011-10-28, 12:39 PM
Does Autohypnosis work to remember it?

Psyren
2011-10-28, 12:45 PM
Does Autohypnosis work to remember it?

Depends on your DM's view of "magical writing," and whether or not spellbook runes/diagrams/notation qualify.

Godskook
2011-10-28, 03:20 PM

Of the ~3 times I've taken my PC's spellbook, only once has "slit their throats" been a possibility.

Prime32
2011-10-28, 07:35 PM
"Book" is misleading - there are plenty of forms a spellbook can take. Dragon magazine even had a "naturally occuring" spellbook written in the markings of a group of snakes.

As for "stolen spellbook = lose everything", the easiest way to solve that as a DM is to give all wizards Spell Mastery as a bonus feat (and maybe add +1 spell per two levels). I mean, who even takes that feat unless they need it for Uncanny Forethought?

Necroticplague
2011-10-28, 09:39 PM
The game Planescape: Torment had a really cool take on this. You craft one out of thorns and scraps of cloth watched a hundred times over, as a quest...

Or, on a related note, make your book out of the skin and blood of something (your an adventurer right? corpses should come to you easily)