View Full Version : Incorporeal Fey becoming undead?

Dire Reverend
2011-10-27, 07:06 PM
So I was trying to find a undead template that could be applied to Incorporeal Fey (A Joystealer). The Ghost template does not require the creature to be corporeal, but does not include Fey as a type of creature that can become a ghost. Did I miss a template that can do what I am looking for?

Shadowknight12
2011-10-27, 07:25 PM
This is very strange. I went over Savage Species, which has quite a few undead templates, and none are available to Fey. Ghost, as you've mentioned, is also unavailable from them, as is Vampire and Lich. Gravetouched Ghoul, from Libris Mortis, does allow Fey, but it specifies "corporeal." Revived Fossil also has the corporeal requirement. I've looked at all the books I could think of (though I am still missing a few), and so far, they all either don't allow Fey or specify corporeal.

Honestly, I'd just ask your DM to let you become a Lich, Death Knight or Vampire. It makes no sense that such types of undead are barred to the Fey.

Dire Reverend
2011-10-27, 08:53 PM
I am just trying to figure out why Wizards would not list Fey on any of those templates. Are they saying fey cannot become undead, or was it just something they missed?

awa
2011-10-27, 08:58 PM
fey can become undead just for whatever reason many of them are barred

Shadowknight12
2011-10-27, 10:02 PM
I am just trying to figure out why Wizards would not list Fey on any of those templates. Are they saying fey cannot become undead, or was it just something they missed?

It sounds vaguely ridiculous that they'd forget about Fey, but that seems to be the case. The other explanation is that they actually made it a rule that Fey (for whatever reason) cannot become undead. If I were to hazard a guess as to why, I'd look to Complete Divine on the Spirit Shaman sidebar, where it says that Fey are like Elementals, classified as "spirits of nature." If you think about it, elementals can't become undead either (Necromental template notwithstanding), which might lend credence to this absurd, if apparently valid, conclusion.

Yora
2011-10-28, 04:56 AM
I think fay are basically the same as native outsiders but have been around before native outsiders were a thing.