PDA

View Full Version : Wizzard feats

ivikalavahuj
2011-10-27, 07:27 PM
I`m helping a friend and the only thing he`s mising are the feats what feat can be good for a wizard (lawfull good, in eberron)?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-27, 08:05 PM
Current level, what he wants to do, any PrC he's going for? We need more info, its too broad for specific advice.

AslanCross
2011-10-27, 08:19 PM
What kind of wizard? If he wants to go blaster he can dip into cleric and go for Silver Pyromancer, since he's Lawful Good. It's one of the few PrCs that make blasting actually feasible. In such a case, taking Extra turning (after the cleric dip of course) would help, along with Divine Feats.

Metamagic feats are also good, as is Knowledge Devotion (as it can help with spells that need Attack Rolls).

hex0
2011-10-27, 08:23 PM
Based on the info you've given and not knowing which level or what prc you are going for...

Improved Initiative
Insightful Reflexes

Is about all I can reccomend

Gensh
2011-10-27, 09:14 PM
We really need more information on his build and playstyle before we can give advice. Just based on the thread title, though, all the luck feats he can get his hands on. :smallwink:

ivikalavahuj
2011-10-27, 09:24 PM
He`s knew in dangeons world, soon will be the first time he plays and is in lvl 5. Also he wanted to be an evocation wizard.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-27, 09:33 PM
Empower. Best blaster metamagic for non-rays. Don't take Maximize, its not worth it.

Human Paragon 3
2011-10-27, 09:36 PM
Wizzard? characters

Tael
2011-10-27, 09:40 PM
He`s knew in dangeons world, soon will be the first time he plays and is in lvl 5. Also he wanted to be an evocation wizard.

I assume you mean dangerous? If he wants to be a blaster the best thing he can get is metamagic reduction. Metamagic School Focus is probably the least cheesy option at level 5, and will incredibly helpful once he picks up Empower Spell or Split Ray.

mootoall
2011-10-27, 09:54 PM
Searing Spell is useful if he wants to just have fun with Fireballs and Orbs of Fire.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-27, 09:59 PM
Wizzard? characters
Maybe they want to play Rincewind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rincewind)?

Flickerdart
2011-10-27, 10:55 PM
Maybe they want to play Rincewind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rincewind)?
That was my first thought. That would make Run and Endurance ideal choices, or perhaps Weapon Focus (sock and half-brick).

hex0
2011-10-28, 01:36 AM
Evokers get the short end of the stick. But Fiery Burst and Invisible Needle are decent.

Thurbane
2011-10-28, 05:17 AM
Wizzard? characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoxQ4Ul_DME

Eldan
2011-10-28, 05:18 AM
Wizzard? characters

Common title for Experts with a template that lets them cast a single epic level spell once in their lives. They usually take run as their feat.

Leon
2011-10-28, 08:51 PM
Smatterings (Races of Destiny)
the essentials being how to scream for help, or, in point of fact, how to scream – not as simple as it sounds owing to the existence of Discworld languages such as that in which "Aargh!" means "Quick! More boiling oil"

Wings of Peace
2011-10-28, 09:46 PM
Magical Training (Sorcerer) followed by Versatile Spellcaster.

Never mind, Magical Training is from a Faerun book.

Doc Roc
2011-10-29, 08:22 AM
Folks, I'm ashamed. You recommended metamagic without metamagic reduction?

First, you're going to want an empowered spellshard from the Magic Item Compendium. It's the cheapest way to get a reliable Empower on your chosen attack spell. For an attack spell, I tend to like combust, or one of the orb spells. If you truly truly must blast, then you're going to want feats and items that let you do this more elegantly.

These are feats like Metamagic School Focus, Sanctum Spell, Practical Metamagic, Residual Magic, Arcane Thesis, and many others that modify how you interact with the spells you cast and the metamagic you use with them. Remember that with the spontaneous divination class mod, a wizard is going to be able to cast spontaneously, qualifying you for many good things.

For items, I consider the Empowered Spellshard from MiC to be an invaluable option early in life, and the Lens of Ray Doubling to be an excellent choice later in life for that small bit of extra oomph. If you take nothing else away from this post, take the Empowered Spellshard.

My favored metamagic feats are Ocular Spell, Split Ray, Empower (as covered by spell shard), Energy Admixture, Searing Spell, and a few others. I have relatively little use for quicken unless it's from a rod, preferring instead to rely on Arcane Spellsurge as a sorcerer. As your friend seems to be a bit low for that approach, wizard is definitely viable.