PDA

View Full Version : I need help making a PF character concept work, please!

Drelua
2011-10-27, 09:54 PM
Okay, I need help making a character concept work. My idea was for a retired soldier who had a family to make a deal with a devil that promised him it wouldn't take anything from him. It turns out that the devil planned to inhabit his body, but not take it over, for some unknown, evil purpose. I don't want to optimize it, I'm just having a lot of trouble finding a way for this to work.

I had a few rough ideas, but I'm not sure if the game I end up using this character in will be a gestalt game or not, so I'd appreciate ideas for both. My first idea was for a gish that quickens all of his in-combat spells so he still makes attacks. My second idea was to use a binder, or maybe use feats to bind a single vestige of up to 4th level (maybe, I'm not quite sure about that). The problem with using the feats is that I had no idea what vestige to use and didn't think it would have a significant enough impact on the character mechanically, but I also didn't think going full Binder would get the soldier bit well enough, so that's a maybe if I re-fluff Binder as one powerful outsider instead of several vestiges and the game ends up being gestalt. My last idea was to play a Swordsage and focus on Desert Wind and Shadow Hand styles, largely boosts over strikes, using the more overtly magical maneuvers and call it power that comes from the outsider inhabiting him.

Another idea I had just now was to use a template, does anyone know of one that could work for this? I'd really appreciate any help with this, anything from a build to a feat you've heard of. Just remember that if it's too powerful it'll overshadow the rest of my extremely low-op group.

Two notes: 1. My DM allows pretty much anything from 3.5, so don't let the game being PF dissuade you from giving advice and 2. I'm used to extremely simple characters, I've never played a caster or an initiator, so pretend you're giving advice to a completely new player. :smallbiggrin:

Tael
2011-10-27, 10:25 PM
For classes that highlight the backstory, a Warlock who becomes an Incarnum shaper in order to prevent the devil from taking his soul whenever he draws on his power would be pretty cool. Incarnum is a bit tricky to get a handle on, but straight up Hellfire Warlock fits this to a T.

Drelua
2011-10-27, 10:48 PM
I looked at Incarnum, but I don't really want anything complicated that I'll have to read up on too much, and warlock doesn't seem right because I want him to be a strong melee combatant, augmented by the thing inside him, since for most of his life he was just a soldier. I imagined it increasing his strengths, not giving him completely new abilities, but I guess that really depends on his invocations.

Arbane
2011-10-28, 12:44 AM
I imagined it increasing his strengths, not giving him completely new abilities, but I guess that really depends on his invocations.

Barbarian with the Fiend Totem powers?

SamBurke
2011-10-28, 01:03 AM
Okay, I need help making a character concept work. My idea was for a retired soldier who had a family to make a deal with a devil that promised him it wouldn't take anything from him. It turns out that the devil planned to inhabit his body, but not take it over, for some unknown, evil purpose. I don't want to optimize it, I'm just having a lot of trouble finding a way for this to work.

I had a few rough ideas, but I'm not sure if the game I end up using this character in will be a gestalt game or not, so I'd appreciate ideas for both. My first idea was for a gish that quickens all of his in-combat spells so he still makes attacks.

Two notes: 1. My DM allows pretty much anything from 3.5, so don't let the game being PF dissuade you from giving advice and 2. I'm used to extremely simple characters, I've never played a caster or an initiator, so pretend you're giving advice to a completely new player. :smallbiggrin:

Magus is pretty good. It does exactly what you said (cast a spell with one hand at slash someone with the other) and I know a person or two who's done a guide to 'em. It's a solid tier 3, with few absolute SPAM abilities, but solid use.

Drelua
2011-10-28, 01:33 AM
Magus is pretty good. It does exactly what you said (cast a spell with one hand at slash someone with the other) and I know a person or two who's done a guide to 'em. It's a solid tier 3, with few absolute SPAM abilities, but solid use.

You're right, Magus could do this. I'm not sure why I overlooked that. I guess I'll just do that, or sorcerer//fighter maybe if it ends up being gestalt. If I wanted to make it spontaneous, would it be fair to give it the bard's spells known and spells per day? I know prepared is usually a stronger option, but I'd really rather avoid all the bookkeeping, and spontaneous casting seems to fit my character concept better; no spellbook.

Krazzman
2011-10-28, 04:22 AM
Ok, so if nearly anything from DnD 3.5 is allowed:

Race: Tiefling (seems fitting, the "devil shaped your body so you are more quick and more intelligent but...) ( my favourite perks for tiefling is little devil horns, eyes of a demon and shadow of a demon )

Gestalt:

Magus/Warlock (technically a Warlock doesn't need Charisma at all)
Or a Magus/Sorcadin (Paladin/Sorceror)

Non-Gestalt:

Either Magus (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/extras/community-creations/-walter-s-lab/embedded-magus) or Warlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211258) (yes you can play a melee warlock (a guide has been found (http://www.freewebs.com/dmprince/Warlock.pdf))
Sorcadin would be another valid option.

The thing about the paladin can be fitting but must not, and for the sorcadin I would recommend another race (except cha is being counted as +0 instead of -2 if it comes to casting) or if your dm allows this change paladin for (Warblade/Swordsage).

Hope this helps you. (For spells you should take utility spells)

Edit:

You're right, Magus could do this. I'm not sure why I overlooked that. I guess I'll just do that, or sorcerer//fighter maybe if it ends up being gestalt. If I wanted to make it spontaneous, would it be fair to give it the bard's spells known and spells per day? I know prepared is usually a stronger option, but I'd really rather avoid all the bookkeeping, and spontaneous casting seems to fit my character concept better; no spellbook.

nope, this is a thing you should check with your DM. But you will probably just need 1 level 1 spell as cantrip called shocking grasp....the other spells, are easy chosen and you can get them back as magus. But ask your DM about this one.