PDA

View Full Version : New Spell

Jayh
2011-10-27, 11:44 PM
So. I have 2 spells I like, and I would like to combine them. What do you think is the appropriate level?

Amanuensis, a cantrip from the Spell Compendium, lets you copy nonmagical text at range.
Secret Page, a level 3 spell from d20srd, lets you write pages, including spells.

What would be a level of a spell that copies magical text at range? (eg, an open scroll). What would be the level of a spell that copies data from closed scrolls?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-27, 11:57 PM
If you get this spell ok'ed, you just broke the worlds economy. Use it to copy a high level scroll, sell the scroll. Repeat. Endlessly. Being able to copy a scroll will break the economy or if you make a provision that it destroys the original scroll, then whats the point?

Flickerdart
2011-10-28, 12:12 AM
Secret Page only allows you to a) change the text of an existing spell and b) only shows the text of the new spell. So using its effect in this fashion would get you a fake scroll with the power of the old spell concealed under the text of the new, and nothing else.

Dimers
2011-10-28, 01:00 AM
What would be a level of a spell that copies magical text at range? (eg, an open scroll). What would be the level of a spell that copies data from closed scrolls?

The level of the spell isn't as important as its cost. I'd call it 2nd or 3rd -- it sounds more magically complex than most 1st-level benchmarks. But you need to make the cost at least as high as scribing a scroll by hand, in terms of XP and GP both, or it suddenly becomes broken. Being able to copy a spell instantaneously, even at the regular cost, is pretty helpful because it allows tricks with spellbooks you don't own (heh heh heh ...) and it saves you days of wasted time.

You know what? I think I'd actually make this an incantation instead of a spell. You can read about those in UA, page 174.