PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Concept: Behind the Veil

Joxer t' Mighty
2011-10-28, 12:51 AM
Alright, I'm here to brainstorm for a setting that mixes a number of sources, taking the best from each and making something new.

Basically, going for a mix of Supernatural, True Blood and Lovecraft. The latter is to be based more off of an unpublished online book series I'm a big fan of called the Blue Flame Society.

Think Supernatural hunters that specialize on 'creatures from beyond the stars', but turned diplomat, with a few rare individuals who are almost inhumanly strong-minded and actually entreat with elder ones for short periods of time and remain sane. They police, to a degree, the boundaries between our world and that beyond, and between humans and creature, or creature and creature factions.

Monsters and their ilk (changelings, weres, etc) are produced by the Elder One's influence into our world, changing the ways physics work and allowing magic and mutations to spring up across the world.

Vampires are Elder Ones in miniature, influenced by the positions of the stars and defeating death. They are not natural. Not necessarily evil, as there is still choice, but they are aberrations of nature.

Rogue hunters (Dean and Sam versions) are the main type of hunters, covering the world. They are to the Blue Flame Society as bounty hunters and vigilantes are to the police force and military.

They have killed so many vampires that the later were forced to 'come out of their coffins' just to survive. There are not nearly as many as they make out to be. Thousands, at most, instead of millions.

The Blue Flame Society are the neutrals, the go-betweens. Whether it be man and the Elder Ones, or shapeshifters and vampires. The society is primarily humans of a high order, though with representatives of many different peoples and 'monsters'. You don't make it into the Society unless you are the equivalent to a Navy Seal or Einstein.

-=-=--=-=-=-

Basically there will be four 'Superpowers' in existence.

Angels. Faeries. Fiends. Elder Ones.

Faeries were actually originally angels, but got tired of all the BS between the Light and the Dark and were cast out of Heaven. They were for themselves and made their own rules. The true free agents of creation and beyond. They love our world and find humans of particular amusement.

Fiends were the angels that were cast down. They hate everything of creation, the natural and the unnatural. They are basically Nihilists.

Elder Ones are not bent on destruction, but they want to change our universe to something more in line with theirs. They are curious. Intensely, madly, horribly 'interested' in us, and our universe's workings.

Angels guard and protect the integrity of this creation, doing the divine will.

So basically angels = guardians, faeries = freedom, fiends = destruction, elder ones = chaos

I'm thinking it's likely be freeform, or Cthulhu/Modern d20 if you want rolls. Players would have a race, but each one would have some special quirk instead of an actual 'class'. Might have a human prophet or a were-armadillo, a ten thousand year old immortal woman or a five year old vampire.

Anyways, these are my disjointed and random thoughts. Suggestions, ideas, etc, are welcome.

Omeganaut
2011-10-28, 11:37 PM
Have you thought about tech level? Magic levels in natives? Other organizations? Good places to develop a campaign or more? I'd get some more on these before trying to actually think about running a campaign here.

Joxer t' Mighty
2011-10-29, 09:43 PM
All of my references are Modern times. What natives? I list a number of organizations as well.

I'm throwing out an idea. I'm not trying to write up blue prints this moment.

Omeganaut
2011-10-30, 01:49 PM
By natives I meant non-outsiders. How much magic can they wield? is it common among humans, or just among other sentient beings? Also, have you thought about geography at all? I'm not saying you need a map, but an idea of what you want in your setting. That would also affect political organization, and I would suggest planning that too.

Joxer t' Mighty
2011-11-02, 01:09 AM
This is basically Earth. Alternative history Earth, but still Earth.