PDA

View Full Version : Best third level spell

Kornilios
2011-10-28, 04:30 AM
In the currect campaign I am a 20 level cleric and in the last adventure I gained the power to choose a third level spell and cast it at will.The spell can be from wizard/cleric/paladin/bard/druid list.So which spell I should choose?Just think a spell that will be usefull and in epic levels(fro example fireball or invisibility are not that usefull in level 20).All pf and 3.5 official material is acceptable.

NNescio
2011-10-28, 04:36 AM
In the currect campaign I am a 20 level cleric and in the last adventure I gained the power to choose a third level spell and cast it at will.The spell can be from wizard/cleric/paladin/bard/druid list.So which spell I should choose?Just think a spell that will be usefull and in epic levels(fro example fireball or invisibility are not that usefull in level 20).All pf and 3.5 official material is acceptable.

Shrink Item. For dealing with all those pesky AMF shenanigans when you don't want to break out the Disjunctions or the epic spells.

Plus it has a myriad of other uses.

Yora
2011-10-28, 04:39 AM
I love dispel magic, but at 20th level the capped caster level check probably makes it unusable in most situations.

Eldan
2011-10-28, 04:42 AM
Scrying is Bard 3, and never ceases to be useful.

You could also pull quite a bit of shennanigans with Explosive Runes at will.

NNescio
2011-10-28, 04:43 AM
I love dispel magic, but at 20th level the capped caster level check probably makes it unusable in most situations.

It's also already on the Cleric spell list, 'though having it as an at-will can be somewhat neat (even with the low CL boost) for immediate counterspelling if you can spare the actions.

Still, it's somewhat of a waste of actions when you have higher level spells available.

deuxhero
2011-10-28, 04:59 AM
Isn't one of the Anyspell line 3rd level?

Eldan
2011-10-28, 05:06 AM
Anyspell itself, yes. That's probably one of the best thigns, then.

Kornilios
2011-10-28, 05:12 AM
Anyspell itself, yes. That's probably one of the best thigns, then.
Problably the best

Eldan
2011-10-28, 05:15 AM
Of course, your DM may strangle and/or bludgeon you.

W3bDragon
2011-10-28, 05:40 AM
Channel Vigor is a pretty versatile 3rd level cleric/oracle spell from PF. Not sure how useful it would be at 20th, but its worth a look.

candycorn
2011-10-28, 05:45 AM
Haste is a spell that never goes out of style.

faceroll
2011-10-28, 06:05 AM
Unlimited Glibness (+30 bluff checks) is good at almost any level. Do you have pounce yet? Lion's Charge is a 3rd level druid spell.

Otherwise, Shrink Item's a good idea. Anyspell wouldn't be super powerful, but you'd always have a minor spell from the wizard spell list to use, as long as you kept a spell book. Pretty flavorful, imo.

Feytalist
2011-10-28, 06:24 AM
Not amazingly powerful, but some neat tricks might be had with an at-will major image. More flavourful than other options, depending on the character, really.

Gwendol
2011-10-28, 06:48 AM
Ice axe at will would be cool :smallwink:

Shivering touch perhaps?

Andion Isurand
2011-10-28, 06:54 AM
How about the Heroics spell (sor/wiz 2) from Spell Compendium (pg 113) so you can load yourself and your allies up with a ton of fighter feats?

Perhaps add Extend Spell to it to make it 3rd level.

If it is cast as a spell-like ability, or you have eschew materials, then you wont need the material component.

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-28, 06:54 AM
Protection from energy? You could have all five types protected full-time and if one goes down, you could put it back up pretty quickly.

Psyren
2011-10-28, 01:19 PM
Heart of Water imo

Tokuhara
2011-10-28, 01:22 PM
I second Glibness. Basically, you never need to raise a sword ever again.

dextercorvia
2011-10-28, 01:31 PM
Improvisation would have some good applications. It is only 1st level though.

Piggy Knowles
2011-10-28, 01:47 PM
Heroics, definitely. Seriously, Heroics at will? Outrageous flexibility.

Glibness, Shrink Item, etc., are all cool spells that will remain effective at high levels, but do you really need to cast them at will? Better to just have an Eternal Wand (or heck, a regular wand). But Heroics... you could cast that one all day.

Again, think about it. Outrageous flexibility. Martial Study. Improved Initiative. Improved Toughness. Exotic Weapon Profiency. (Hey, you know what would make this encounter way easier? Nets! Let's all learn how to use nets! Also, what melee build doesn't want to also use a braid blade?) Quick Draw. You get the idea.

Blyte
2011-10-28, 02:01 PM
I didn't do a lot of research, but alchemist lvl 3 "burst of speed" seems pretty darn good to have at-will.

Burst of Speed (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/burst-of-speed)

Morph Bark
2011-10-28, 02:11 PM
Glibness, Haste or Heroics all are indeed great if you like to buff your Bluff or melee combat (or fleeing capability).

Great Thunderclap is great for the offense.

Chronos
2011-10-28, 02:28 PM
Shrink Item is my personal favorite, but part of the advantage to it is that you can get around the spells per day limit with it. But that's kind of redundant if it's at-will.

And I have to agree that Heroics at-will is insane, especially if you can use it for Martial Study. What's the duration on it, again?

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-28, 02:33 PM
I assume the entire party has flight now? If not, fly is of course an amazing option.

If you want to be a real party buffer (a la White Raven Tactics), you could go with mass snake's swiftness (Druid spell, Spell Compendium).

Of course, since it's at-will, you probably want a useful utility spell instead of a combat spell. (It's not like 20th level clerics need any help in combat anyway)

So I'm going to second major image, as well as glibness, though an at-will suggestion is probably really useful too.

Perhaps if you told us your domains and your character's playstyle we could help you come up with the best spell to complement your character?

Piggy Knowles
2011-10-28, 02:33 PM
And I have to agree that Heroics at-will is insane, especially if you can use it for Martial Study. What's the duration on it, again?

10 minutes per level, or over three hours at CL 20. If you can get Extended Heroics as an SLA (after all, it IS only a second level spell).....

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-28, 05:16 PM
Fly if your group doesn't have easy, full time access to it already.

Heorics if you have many martial character.

Suggestion or Major Image would be useful for their versatility.

Randomguy
2011-10-28, 07:29 PM
A cure spell will mean your party will never have to buy a wand of cure X wounds again, since you'd get back up to full health after every encounter.

Girallon's blessing at will means that everyone in your party basically gets an extra pair of arms permanently, which is always useful for just about every class except full casters. (And if your DM is nice, he might let them hold a shield with two hands without any spell failure chance, since they can still use the other two hands for somatic components.)

Metahuman1
2011-10-28, 07:53 PM
It might not be the most optimized thing ever but a part of me likes giving the bad guy a note that's had like 100 castings of explosive runes put on it.

Awesome Ambush tactic, end fights before they begin, or at least severely weaken opponents. Great for Assassination as well if you need it.

Not the most versitial thing perhaps, but again, I think it might be cool.

Elric VIII
2011-10-28, 10:07 PM
What type of Cleric are you? If you're a melee Cleric, Wraithstrike is a pretty nice spell (although it's only 2nd level).

Dimension Hop is another great one for mobility.

Nerveskitter is also amazing when the game degenterates into rocket tag (read level 20); it's a first level spell, however.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-28, 11:19 PM
Wings Of Cover

Psyren
2011-10-29, 08:45 AM
Wings Of Cover

that's 2nd-level :smalltongue:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-29, 10:09 AM
I honestly don't see why a DM giving a Cleric any core-class spell of 3rd level as an at-will SLA wouldn't allow said Cleric to take a first or second. Though I could see said DM being warry of allowing a metamagic'ed altered SLA.

Psyren
2011-10-29, 10:15 AM
I honestly don't see why a DM giving a Cleric any core-class spell of 3rd level as an at-will SLA wouldn't allow said Cleric to take a first or second. Though I could see said DM being warry of allowing a metamagic'ed altered SLA.

Oh, I'd definitely allow a 2nd-level or lower spell too. But the OP's question was specifically "what's the best third level spell?"

Corlindale
2011-10-29, 10:38 AM
If you don't have a Bard or other sources of morale bonuses to stuff, Good Hope would be a pretty nice buff to keep up indefinetely on everyone in the party - sure it's less flashy than many of the other options, but a permanent +2 to skills, ability checks, saves, attack and damage rolls would give everyone a nice boost.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-29, 10:49 AM
that's 2nd-level :smalltongue:

Then Heighten it to 3rd. Being able to use Wings of Cover at will is just way too good to pass up.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-29, 02:06 PM
Wings of Cover

In all seriousness, I've never heard of an immediate-action SLA. (I suppose ring of feather falling is one, but that's an item)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-29, 02:25 PM
In all seriousness, I've never heard of an immediate-action SLA. (I suppose ring of feather falling is one, but that's an item)

Silverbrow Humans in Dragon Magic get Feather Fall as a spell-like ability.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-29, 02:27 PM
Silverbrow Humans in Dragon Magic get Feather Fall as a spell-like ability.

Indeed they do. Well alright then. Not only is there a precedent, it's in a playable race instead of a powerful outsider with like 23 hit dice. I withdraw my objection.

Wings of cover would indeed be a nice SLA.

Chronos
2011-10-29, 03:53 PM
10 minutes per level, or over three hours at CL 20. If you can get Extended Heroics as an SLA (after all, it IS only a second level spell).....That's long enough that you don't even need to extend it, if it's at will. Just re-cast it every three hours. And you'd basically be able to give your entire party every martial maneuver and stance up to 5th level, which is an insane amount of power. Plus, of course, any other fighter feats you might want.

Silva Stormrage
2011-10-29, 07:36 PM
Is it a spell like ability? If so animate dead might be interesting if your character isn't opposed to animating undead.

Shivering touch is always good for massive dex damage

Fear is also a good choice (bard list 3rd level)

Calanon
2011-10-29, 07:46 PM
Unlimited Glibness (+30 bluff checks) is good at almost any level.

I'd go with Glibness, Haley gives an amazing example of the shanigans you can pull with Bluff. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html)

I'm curious how high of a Bluff check it would be to lie to yourself "I have a +5 inherit bonus to all my stats" :smallbiggrin:

If not, I'd personally go with Animate dead or Fly

Jack_Simth
2011-10-29, 08:03 PM
I'd go with Glibness, Haley gives an amazing example of the shanigans you can pull with Bluff. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html)

I'm curious how high of a Bluff check it would be to lie to yourself "I have a +5 inherit bonus to all my stats" :smallbiggrin:

You can lie to yourself sufficiently to convince yourself, but that just means you'll be heading into situations you can't actually handle....

But yes, it depends on what you're after.
Wings of Cover (Races of the Dragon) is a crazy-useful defensive spell.
Cure Serious Wounds is very useful as a healer.
Spiritiual Weapon could get a little on the insane side.
Summon Nature's Ally (or Summon Monster) III gets you trap bait at whim (and if you pick up a Vampiric weapon - weapon property in the Magic Item Compendium, +2 equivalent - then this also gets you unlimited HP healing... although it's rather dark to do).
Glibness or Major Image can be fun.