PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get a cooling warning on their Toshiba laptop?

danzibr
2011-10-28, 12:46 PM
So this morning I was using my laptop, doing some flash cards, then I got a warning message saying the cooling system is messed up and I should get it services. I've read a few things on various forums but they haven't been too terribly helpful.

Anyways, so I got the error message, saved my stuff, shut it down, restarted it, and then it gave me the same error message and shut itself down. Also, I couldn't hear/feel the fan moving. So... I'm pretty sure I need a new fan. My question is this: is this something easy to repair or should I get a pro to do it?

I've messed with my desktops and video game systems before, but never a laptop.

By the way, I have a Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4025.

Spiryt
2011-10-29, 09:02 AM
Dunno about it, but my Toshiba Satellite A100 - something turns into straight out heater if I don't vacuum clean the fan from time to time.

It shuts down without any warning though, if it's too hot.

I keep hearing that vacuuming the insides of lap is not particularly safe though.

OracleofWuffing
2011-10-31, 12:07 AM
:smallconfused: About how old is the computer? Have you checked its warranty (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/globalEntitlement.jsp?nav=Warranty)?

Basically, the difference between repairs on a modern notebook and a modern desktop is that there are a lot more screws (which are smaller), you're not going to touch upgrading the processor/heatsink, and you're going to see "ribbon cables," which are just regular cables except much thinner and thus prone to tearing if you're not careful (If all goes well, though, you probably won't need to touch those, as this should all be on the bottom side of the bottom part of the computer). You're also going to have to be a bit more aware of where cords came from and where they need to go back to when reassembling.

Thing is, if you're going to replace a fan assembly... I mean, I guess it isn't unheard of, but finding a replacement part of that size for that specific model is probably going to be a royal pain. It could be a custom size to the notebook case, and it could be a custom connector to the motherboard- if there's any standardization for internal laptop components, I'm not aware of it. Here's what Toshiba has for parts on that computer (http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/afin.to?stt1=Laptop+PCs&stt2=Satellite&sttSeries=Satellite%5EL645D&stt3=L645D-S4025&x=46&y=9), but it looks like the only internals they willingly sell is RAM. If it is the fan that's the case, then you'll probably have to buy a used fan from someone with the same model of computer. :smallfrown: That carries its own risks in and of itself.

Wish I could help you more, but I can't really find a teardown/disassembly for that model. If you don't feel confident fiddling around with your computer's insides, don't even attempt it- and exercise caution even if you do. A number of repair places would charge you extra if you tell them you messed up trying to fix it yourself.

Either way you look at the coin, though, you do want to avoid turning on the computer until you have some sort of fix going for you. Normally, a forced shutdown with no warning is something that happens if a processor is overheated, and continued attempts that result in overheating can result in permanent damage.

Anuan
2011-10-31, 02:13 AM
Dunno about it, but my Toshiba Satellite A100 - something turns into straight out heater if I don't vacuum clean the fan from time to time.

It shuts down without any warning though, if it's too hot.

I keep hearing that vacuuming the insides of lap is not particularly safe though.

Mine has done this since it was purchased :smallsigh: It sucks. I have a cooling pad which helps a little bit. My old Dell got up to a bajillion degrees, this thing gets a bit warm and shuts down...

Spiryt
2011-10-31, 07:58 AM
Mine has done this since it was purchased :smallsigh: It sucks. I have a cooling pad which helps a little bit. My old Dell got up to a bajillion degrees, this thing gets a bit warm and shuts down...

This was pretty much the story, then I grabbed vacuum cleaner, pulled out quite large snarl of dust from the fan whereabouts, and pretty instantly heat dispersion became much more effective.

danzibr
2011-10-31, 11:11 AM
Whoa. Hey, the feedback is really appreciated.

To keep everyone updated, I disassembled the laptop (actually I watched my brother do it) and the fan was not jammed. I ordered a new one (which looks EXACTLY like the one in my laptop and the part numbers match, so I'm pretty sure it's the right one) and I'm going to switch 'em out whenever it gets in the mail.

I'll give another update as to whether this works or not.