PDA

View Full Version : If you could have your dream splatbook...

Tyndmyr
2011-10-28, 01:52 PM
If WOTC approached you today, and told you they wanted to produce a single additional sourcebook for 3.5, and you get to determine what's in it....what would you pick?

PersonMan
2011-10-28, 01:59 PM
If WOTC approached you today, and told you they wanted to produce a single additional sourcebook for 3.5, and you get to determine what's in it....what would you pick?

I'd probably go for a Book of Supporting Subsystems. Rules, classes, feats, races, etc. for each subsystem, as well as various classes and the like for mixing them together(i.e. Incarnum/Truenaming or Soul binding/Psionics).

Tyndmyr
2011-10-28, 02:00 PM
I'd probably go for a Book of Supporting Subsystems. Rules, classes, feats, races, etc. for each subsystem, as well as various classes and the like for mixing them together(i.e. Incarnum/Truenaming or Soul binding/Psionics).

That's actually pretty handy, yeah. I think I might go somewhat similar...and it would be a great way to patch the weak points of each.

Big Fau
2011-10-28, 02:02 PM
I'm split between wanting more Bo9S support and Incarnum...

lord pringle
2011-10-28, 02:02 PM
The book of fey with a fey TOB style, Fey incarnum stuff and fey warlocks.

Physics_Rook
2011-10-28, 02:05 PM
You of course knew someone would bring it up...

A sequel to Tome of Battle. :smallbiggrin:

New initiator classes for melee as well as ranged this time. More PrC with one or two focused on mage hunting.
More maneuvers, stances, and disciplines to support a wider variety of play-style.
More feat support for initiator classes. Feats that alter your recovery mechanics and discipline requirements (just something I thought would be cool).
It would include clarifications and errata for the previous book as well. :smallmad:

I can think of a few other books that would be nice to have (Incarnum2, and an expansion of Binder-style classes), but ToB2 really tops the list.:smallsmile:

EDIT: Ninjas! Ninjas everywhere!:smalleek:

Tokuhara
2011-10-28, 02:06 PM
I would have to say an update/further combination of prior splatbooks. I would love to see Trunamer remade to actually function, more Shadowcaster stuff, Binder stuff, ToB (perhaps even new ToB Classes), Incarnum, and Psionics (Complete Psion, minus Ardent and Practised Manifester was a joke). Perhaps combinations of the subsystems (a Psionic/Shadowcaster would be sick, as would a ToB/Trunaming class). I'd also love the book to add new races and feats. Even a Trunaming Rakshasa would be cool

Kaje
2011-10-28, 02:55 PM
Agree with Tome of Subsystems. We need more ToB classes, maneuvers, and disciplines, including ranged options. More Incarnum can only be a good thing, as well as Binder stuff, fixed shadowcasting and truenaming, another invocation-using class or few perhaps, and of course theurge-type prestige classes that combine them. Also, Font of Inspiration needs to be printed in a book and clarified.

Alternately, the official Dawnforge Campaign Setting.

Lateral
2011-10-28, 03:03 PM
Psionics (Complete Psion, minus Ardent and Practised Manifester was a joke).

...Those were two of the few decent things that came out of Complete Psionics. It's pretty much that and the Soulbow. :small confused:

You know what would be cool would be a Homebrew Compendium. You take the highest-quality hombrewers you can find and put 'em on your staff, have them tweak their homebrew stuff to the point where it's releasable, and put it in a compendium. A lot of the homebrew done on these forums, at least, are of higher quality than much of WotC's work, and there's plenty of support for Tome of Battle, Incarnum, Psionics, Truenaming, and so on.

Gensh
2011-10-28, 03:05 PM
Bruce Runs Laps Around Monte and Skip :smallamused:

I don't particularly like ToB, but there definitely needs to be something similar. A grittier balance to its cinematic style of play, perhaps. I'm just interested in what Bruce would do if he were allowed free reign on the topic of "fix 3.5".

0nimaru
2011-10-28, 03:18 PM
...Those were two of the few decent things that came out of Complete Psionics. It's pretty much that and the Soulbow. :small confused:

I think his quote was missing a second comma. He was saying the book was a joke, except for those two useful gems.

I must agree with most everybody else here. New things are cool, but in the currently bloated 3.5 every new class would just be more power-creep expressed in various ways. A 3.5 "Things that were awesome but we failed to make work" would be the ultimate book in my collection. A collection of reworked classes (base and PrC) along with quotes from people who actively playtested them alongside various Tier 3+ classes.

"Wow.. so the party wizard dropped some solid fog and then a celerity into Enervation on the boss. I was going to take a turn but.. it seemed unnecessary at that point."

gbprime
2011-10-28, 04:52 PM
I'd like them to put out three more 3.5 rulebooks.

All WotC Official Base Classes and Feats
All WotC Official Prestige Classes
All WotC Official Spells/Invocations/Etc

No fluff, just reprint everything from everywhere, regardless of campaign setting, no new content. You know they'd sell.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-28, 04:55 PM
Stealing a name in another thread from some time back...

Complete Initiator: The Book of Five Other Swords. :smallbiggrin:

Or PersonMan's idea, because it's for ToB AND Incarnum!

RedWarrior0
2011-10-28, 04:59 PM
Also, the subtitle for Tome of subsystems should be "Not a Single New Spell"

Anderlith
2011-10-28, 05:04 PM
A book with rules for adding consequences for casting magic. & has a good spellcasting warrior class, & magic tattooes.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-28, 05:06 PM
A book with rules for adding consequences for casting magic. & has a good spellcasting warrior class, & magic tattooes.

Magic tattoos have already been done.

And what, Spellswords, Swiftblades, duskblades, and PF maguses aren't good enough for you?

Greymane
2011-10-28, 05:07 PM
I would have them re-release the Bo9S. Except in the cover is a hand-written apology about the Monk and the Fighter.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-28, 05:08 PM
I would have them re-release the Bo9S. Except in the cover is a hand-written apology about the Monk and the Fighter.

And warblade and swordsage have their odd names replaced with Fighter and Sohei. And Unarmed Swordsage is an official variant called Monk.

Howler Dagger
2011-10-28, 05:17 PM
And warblade and swordsage have their odd names replaced with Fighter and Sohei. And Unarmed Swordsage is an official variant called Monk.

And the Crusader is renamed Paladin.

Anderlith
2011-10-28, 05:23 PM
Magic tattoos have already been done.

And what, Spellswords, Swiftblades, duskblades, and PF maguses aren't good enough for you?

Not the way I want them done. The tattoo is used like a scroll, I would rather have them be like the Tattoo Monk, just more of them & open to more people. The PF Magus is awesome, but the OP is talking about WotC, not Paizo. The Duskblade comes really close, but it's spell list needs to be tweaked

Arcane_Snowman
2011-10-28, 05:26 PM
If WOTC approached you today, and told you they wanted to produce a single additional sourcebook for 3.5, and you get to determine what's in it....what would you pick? The GREAT Book of Errata.

For everything.

Urpriest
2011-10-28, 05:32 PM
On a more realistic note (if things were still being run, anyway): Fiendish Codex III: Mercenaries of Hades (or possibly Mercenaries of Gehenna and Jailors of Carceri, if there's much one could do with Demodands).

Dienekes
2011-10-28, 05:36 PM
A martial book involving creating new actions for the warrior types, different types of attack options and defensive options so that even a lowly Fighter or Monk can do quite a lot of things, most likely stealing unabashedly from Realms of Chaos work and Iron Heroes.

If that proves too difficult, Book of a More Swords. Creating disciplines for mounted combat, archery, shield fighting, and so on.

The next book would be a lengthy discussion of the tier system, why everything is in it's tier and a variant spell-list/class rework of Wizards, Clerics, Sorcerers, and Druids making them all tier 3.

Psyren
2011-10-28, 05:44 PM
And the Crusader is renamed Knight.

FTFY.

(For the Paladin they can just port in the Pathfinder one and pay royalties.)

Tome of Subsystems (needs a catchier title) would get my vote as well.

dspeyer
2011-10-28, 05:51 PM
Complete Archer: TOB-style disciplines, classes (base and prestige), ACFs, feats, and alternate rules.

Kaje
2011-10-28, 05:59 PM
Tome of Subsystems (needs a catchier title) would get my vote as well.

"Suck It, Spellcasters: The Book of Awesome"

Psyren
2011-10-28, 06:02 PM

There'd be more magic analogues in such a book than mundane though :smalltongue: between truenaming, binding, incarnum, invocations - not to mention mysteries, which actually are spells...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-28, 06:02 PM
And the Crusader is renamed Paladin.

But crusader isn't two words jammed together.

Plus, paladin is pretty good with their version of Natural Spell/Adaptive Style. Battle Blessing, Serenity, and a griffon/hippogriff/pegasus mount.

Morithias
2011-10-28, 06:11 PM
A "Celestial codex" exploring into detail the upper realms. Basically a holy version of the Fiendish Codexs 1/2.

Also some kind of guidebook on economies. As much as the business rules I like, they are broken and do not work at all.

Kaje
2011-10-28, 06:13 PM
Also some kind of guidebook on economies. As much as the business rules I like, they are broken and do not work at all.

Oh god I'd kill myself if I had to read that.

RedWarrior0
2011-10-28, 06:16 PM
Hm... Tome of Money: A Guide to Economics for All

Including such wondrous spells as Adam's Invisible Hand and Graph Adjustment, in addition to absolutely no support for anything outside of core.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-28, 06:16 PM

PCs kill monster(s).

PCs get monster's (or monsters') hoard.

PCs use money from dragon hoard to buy things for more than it costs to make them and sell things for the amount or less than the amount it takes to make them.

Town suddenly has more money.

After doing this a few times, value of the gold piece decreases, things are more expensive, people are still payed the same amount.

Economy crashes.

TL;DR: Realistic economy is not fun in D&D.

Morithias
2011-10-28, 06:21 PM
Hm... Tome of Money: A Guide to Economics for All

Including such wondrous spells as Adam's Invisible Hand and Graph Adjustment, in addition to absolutely no support for anything outside of core.

There was a book sort of like that. Called "power of faerun" that has two prestiege classes. 1/3 of the book was about the forgotten realms trades system.

One of the prestiege classes? Merchant Prince. I kid you not.

I suppose I should probably just read cityscape it probably has most of what i'm looking for. I should've been more detailed.

What I more mean is giving DM rules for quickly chaining things together. For example if I burn down a tavern in a small city, logically that puts more than just the tavern out of business. Now the brewer has no one to sell to, which means the farmer's barley is now worthless. And so on.

Basically laws for supply and demand, in times of war why does a +3 longsword cost the same, as when there is only one country and peace has been in place for generations?

Or maybe that's just me.

BillyBobJoe
2011-10-28, 06:22 PM
I don't believe this hasn't been said yet, so FEAT COMPENDIUM!

Greenish
2011-10-28, 06:26 PM
As much as the business rules I like, they are broken and do not work at all.Merchant Prince (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060308a&page=4) whoo! (Okay, already mentioned, but still.)

I've said so in previous threads, but I want Races of Darguun, the book of goblinoids and the empire that used to rule all of Khorvaire. There probably are 4e Eberron books, but from what I've seen I've hard time considering them canon.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-28, 06:29 PM
Merchant Prince (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060308a&page=4) whoo! (Okay, already mentioned, but still.)

I've said so in previous threads, but I want Races of Darguun, the book of goblinoids and the empire that used to rule all of Khorvaire. There probably are 4e Eberron books, but from what I've seen I've hard time considering them canon.

Eh? Why isn't 4e Eberron canon?

Cruiser1
2011-10-28, 06:57 PM
Compendiums! Now that 3.5 is basically done, any new compendium will be definitive, and not outdated by new books coming out next month. For example, I'd like a new Spell Compendium, since the existing one doesn't include PHB II, CM, and others. A Feat Compendium or PrC Compendium would be great to have too.

What I'd like even more is a "Rules Clarification and Errata Compendium", to fix the most broken things allowed and to give definitive official answers to ambiguous abilities that fill our message boards with so much speculation. For example, everything from how metamagic feats stack, to whether wardings of an Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil are affected by antimagic field, to exactly what early entry tricks are allowed for PrC's. For example, a Cleric entering a "spontaneous caster" PrC because it can spontaneously cast cure spells.

Endarire
2011-10-28, 07:02 PM
Frank and K's Tome Series (http://turing.bard.edu/~mk561/frank_k_0.5.1.pdf) - includes the Economicon.

Vizzerdrix
2011-10-29, 10:57 AM
I honestly would only want two things.
1)errata on familiars to make them a viable option.
2)A PrC that focuses on familiars.

Zaq
2011-10-29, 11:19 AM
If I have to pick just one, I'm having a hard time disagreeing with "Tome of Subsystems." Giving the ToM/ToB/MoI classes more love would make me happy, it's true.

That said, I'd also like to see a "Races of" book focused on orcs and goblinoids, a Libris Mortis/Lords of Madness-style book on the fey, and an update to Savage Species written by the people who wrote ToB and the MIC (you know, the people who actually got how 3.5 balance works).

Hazzardevil
2011-10-29, 11:26 AM
I'd pick a tome of subsystems.

Title:
Magical Misfits: The book of the bastardized stepchildren.

And also hiring Frank and K to write more tome books.

Seharvepernfan
2011-10-29, 11:28 AM
PCs kill monster(s).

PCs get monster's (or monsters') hoard.

PCs use money from dragon hoard to buy things for more than it costs to make them and sell things for the amount or less than the amount it takes to make them.

Town suddenly has more money.

Town becomes a target for thieves/insidious monsters.

Town puts out a call for adventurers.

AND/OR

People take their money and leave and new people come to town.

Town spends new money to make the town bigger and better.

D&D world, moreso than real life, does not exist in a vacuum. It's only inflation if that new money is truly causeless and worth less, which its not, because that money doesn't exist, say, in the next town over. Am I making any sense?

Anyways, for the topic at hand: I agree with 90% of whats been said already: a grittier and expanded ToB, balancing of combat styles and classes, mixing of systems (I think a multiclassed 10th level guy shouldn't be 5 levels of this, 5 levels of that, but about 75-80% of each), I don't know anything about incarnum/tome of magic/shadowcraft.

What I would add to this is: (man I love < those things) instead of adding more to fix a problem or imbalance, take away what isn't necessary. For some reason (laziness), wotc likes to patch up a crack instead of soldering it. If two classes are imbalanced, don't just make the weaker class stronger, make the stronger class weaker too. I've done this in my ever-growing house rules, and so far it looks to me like its working.

Midnight_v
2011-10-29, 11:31 AM
Frank and K's Tome Series (http://turing.bard.edu/~mk561/frank_k_0.5.1.pdf) - includes the Economicon.

You!!! You beat me to it!

Thats my answer, if I could get them to do what the Op said I'd take the tome series and make it official, it'd be edited and codified into 1 work, and your'd roll it from there.
It's nice to have a fighter, monk, and paladin, actually do what they're supposed to be doing.
Not to mention:

Originally Posted by Morithias
The Economicon is included :smallsmile:

About half the time people call the tome series "The Tomes of Awesome", or "The Tomes of How Things should be."

I seriously never wanted to play a monk, until I read the one they made, I was like "Wow, okay now thats cool".
So yeah to the op that'd my pick anyway.

Zaq
2011-10-29, 11:32 AM
What I would add to this is: (man I love < those things) instead adding more to fix a problem or imbalance, take away what isn't necessary. For some reason (laziness), wotc likes to patch up a crack instead of soldering it. If two classes are imbalanced, don't just make the weaker class stronger, make the stronger class weaker too. I've done this in my ever-growing house rules, and so far it looks to me like its working.

Spoilered for slight derail:

WotC knows that people get testy when you take away options they already had, especially since you've paid money for 'em. See the typical overreaction to Complete Psionic for an example. Most of that reaction is a backlash against the stealth errata that made Astral Construct/Energy Missile/a few other powers worse than they used to be. The closest WotC has really come to depowering existing classes is to publish intentionally weaker ACFs that people can voluntarily take, like Shapeshift Druid.

Seharvepernfan
2011-10-29, 11:38 AM
Spoilered for slight derail:

WotC knows that people get testy when you take away options they already had, especially since you've paid money for 'em. See the typical overreaction to Complete Psionic for an example. Most of that reaction is a backlash against the stealth errata that made Astral Construct/Energy Missile/a few other powers worse than they used to be. The closest WotC has really come to depowering existing classes is to publish intentionally weaker ACFs that people can voluntarily take, like Shapeshift Druid.

Ok, yes, but they don't have to use it if they don't like it. ToB makes fighters and monks even worse, but people still love it. I still say the best thing is to fix the system, not patch up its cracks.

Tokuhara
2011-10-29, 11:47 AM
Ok, yes, but they don't have to use it if they don't like it. ToB makes fighters and monks even worse, but people still love it. I still say the best thing is to fix the system, not patch up its cracks.

Patching cracks in a flawed system (or subsystem) is like putting a band-aid on a beheading: The gesture is nice, but doesn't really fix the problem.

And Complete Psionics had imo 5 good things: Ardent, Practised Manifester, Soulbow, Erudite Psion (Which paved the way for StP Erudite's very existance) and Synod (a 0LA Aberration??? Sweet)

stainboy
2011-10-29, 11:50 AM
Player's Handbook Three Point Pathfinder Edition, containing the definitive answer to all 3.P "which version of X are we using" questions.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-29, 11:58 AM
I honestly would only want two things.
1)errata on familiars to make them a viable option.
2)A PrC that focuses on familiars.

:smallconfused:

Don't you know the Improved Familiar feat exists? And you can take an imp, or if BoED is allowed, a lantern archon? Those things have some god SLAs and (Su)s.

gallagher
2011-10-29, 12:17 PM
Tome of Ambush: Book of a few daggers, some shuriken, a couple kukri and like 3 swords.

title is under construction, but it refers to two things that i want in 3.5

first, i want a tome of battle update for the rogue-like characters: the rogue, scout, ninja and spellthief. i know that shadow hand works fine for the rogue-feel, but i want the character to be more rogue-like than the swordsage. same with the scout and ninja. for the spellthief, i figure it would at least be interesting to have a character that at least denied your use of maneuvers.

second, more schools and prestige classes.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-29, 12:26 PM
Personally I would expand the religious part of DnD. Such as creating the paladin's anti-theses or change it from a soldier of virtue to a sword of the gods and expand the way religion and religious worship effect the game world. Instead of just having clerics be the sole thing that religion effects.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-29, 12:29 PM
Tome of Ambush: Book of a few daggers, some shuriken, a couple kukri and like 3 swords.

title is under construction, but it refers to two things that i want in 3.5

first, i want a tome of battle update for the rogue-like characters: the rogue, scout, ninja and spellthief. i know that shadow hand works fine for the rogue-feel, but i want the character to be more rogue-like than the swordsage. same with the scout and ninja. for the spellthief, i figure it would at least be interesting to have a character that at least denied your use of maneuvers.

second, more schools and prestige classes.

That would be part of the Tome of Subsystems. I think about ~50 pages each for each subsystem would do it, which gives the ToB one enough room for a couple classes, a few disciplines, and some more feats, and they don't have to waste any pages re-explaining how it works.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-29, 12:31 PM
I don't think I'd like a book written by Frank & K. While they are competent writers, a balance point around T1-T2 is too high for my tastes.

What I would like to see:

-Tome of Subsystems, as mentioned. More support for ToB, Binders, maybe a little Incarnum, and give the poor Shadowcaster a reworking to make it good. There is still no Truenamer, and Big Brother is watching.
-Swampmuck: A marsh/bog-themed environment book liek Frostburn and Sandstorm.

PetterTomBos
2011-10-29, 12:34 PM
Completes ++; :)

big teej
2011-10-29, 12:45 PM

support for my favorite class: the Knight (gets no love!)

alternatively

Races of Ill-Repute (orks, ogres, goblins, bugbears, etc.)

alternatively

Complete Incarnum

Ideally it'd be a multi-book volume that contained all three....

but I'd be happy with any of them.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-10-29, 12:55 PM
A New World: The book of advancement.

Basically adding support to all the subsystems and to all the new base classes wizards created but only supported for one book. In this book there would be new feats and Prcs to help combine classes and subsystems together. There would be new spells added to and specifically for classes like Duskblade and Healer.

Dsurion
2011-10-29, 01:11 PM
I think I'd like to see a book expanding stealth and diplomacy and what they can do. Additional rules for 100% stealth-based adventures, as opposed to "roll a single d20 - you win/lose forever!" You could even call it Cloak and Dagger

I don't think I'd like a book written by Frank & K. While they are competent writers, a balance point around T1-T2 is too high for my tastes.That's not strictly true. Frank also wrote a couple t4 level classes like the Fire Mage, his reworking of the Knight, and a few others. I enjoy those much more than the t1-2 versions of other classes. Frank even admits that the ideal balance point would be (in his words) Rogue-level balance (or t4), but prefers playing Wizard-level (t1-2). I'll stop there to keep from sounding like a fanboy :smallwink:

What I would like to see:

-Tome of Subsystems, as mentioned. More support for ToB, Binders, maybe a little Incarnum, and give the poor Shadowcaster a reworking to make it good. There is still no Truenamer, and Big Brother is watching.
-Swampmuck: A marsh/bog-themed environment book liek Frostburn and Sandstorm.Though these are awesome ideas too.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-29, 01:23 PM
That's not strictly true. Frank also wrote a couple t4 level classes like the Fire Mage, his reworking of the Knight, and a few others. I enjoy those much more than the t1-2 versions of other classes. Frank even admits that the ideal balance point would be (in his words) Rogue-level balance (or t4), but prefers playing Wizard-level (t1-2). I'll stop there to keep from sounding like a fanboy :smallwink:

Frank and K think rogue is tier 2, because they think JaronK didn't know about Sneak Attack with splash weapons.

Vizzerdrix
2011-10-29, 01:30 PM
Oooh! I wanna add something to my first post.

3) Some support for the Half Daelkyr. They get no love.

big teej
2011-10-29, 01:33 PM
also, Jungle-scape

Urpriest
2011-10-29, 01:35 PM
also, Jungle-scape

Yes this. I could even see it as the same book as Swampmuck without being too depressed.

big teej
2011-10-29, 01:49 PM
Yes this. I could even see it as the same book as Swampmuck without being too depressed.

indeed, are there any other climates/locals they missed?

depending on how in depth you want, I suppose the argument could be made also for mountian and forest adventures....

but those are so typical to a dnd game I doubt it.....

Tvtyrant
2011-10-29, 02:00 PM
Coralscape, devoted entirely to things underwater.

RedWarrior0
2011-10-29, 02:30 PM
Coralscape, devoted entirely to things underwater.
Too similar to Stormwrack.

If we want to do a series...

Planar Codex I: Armies of Archeron (Acheron? Not sure...) and Planar Codex II: Soldiers of Ysgard
Planar Codex III: Giant Frogs of Double Rainbow Giga Fist, about Limbo and its inhabitants

Queens of Nature: The Book of Faerie would be nice, of course
A WotC-sponsored Tome of Artifacts-type book would be awesome

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-29, 02:38 PM

If we want to do a series...

Planar Codex I: Armies of Archeron (Acheron? Not sure...) and Planar Codex II: Soldiers of Ysgard
Planar Codex III: Giant Frogs of Double Rainbow Giga Fist, about Limbo and its inhabitants

Queens of Nature: The Book of Faerie would be nice, of course
A WotC-sponsored Tome of Artifacts-type book would be awesome

Acheron? What's Acheron? I see something called Chernoggar, but no Acheron. >.>

Seriously, Chernoggar is way cooler. Go by the 4e book "The Plane Above: Secrets of the Astral Sea".

I would like a book devoted entirely to Ysgard though. And one for the Beastlands. And one for Chernoggar. Or a book dedicating 10 pages of fluff plus 5 pages of options and other crunch for each plane of existence, although I think WotC would lit it into two books for more profit.

I like the title for the Limbo one though. :smallbiggrin:

NineThePuma
2011-10-29, 02:47 PM
Either something exploring the Celestial Planes ala Fiendish Codex, Tome of Subsystems, or Swampmuck. =3

Eldariel
2011-10-29, 03:02 PM
Massive Bo9S expansion with:
- Psionic/Sublime Cross Classing PRC(s)
- Incarnum/Sublime Cross Classing PRC(s)
- Binding/Sublime Cross Classing PRC(s)
- More Discipline-specific PRCs ("Master of One" or a specific specialist class for each or some of both)
- Ranger-style, Barbarian-style and Bard/Marshal-style base martial adept class (Bard/Marshal as in a class with class features geared towards boosting allies more than just access to White Raven and Inspire Courage)
- Disciplines for ranged combat (one more geared towards sniping and skirmishing, one towards volleys and range at least), rationed to old classes
- Non-magical stalking school (non-magical Shadow Hand, more or less)
- School for mounted combat (more than just White Raven)
- Sublime Weapons (basically Weapons of Legacy redone with rational mechanics)
- Epic martial adepts (might as well; everything else has an epic system while largely dysfunctional; this would be a good place to start epic system saturation at)
- Include errata booklet for original Bo9S that also adds these new disciplines to the old classes, gives 'em better ranged proficiencies outside Crusader and e.g. makes it possible for Swordsage to get Trapfinding, gives Warblades Heavy Armor & full effective Fighter-level and expanding the bonus feat list, and saturating their skill lists a bit. And fixes the dumb stance progressions/makes it possible to delay taking a stance or retraining stance once you gain access to new ones.

Hazzardevil
2011-10-29, 03:02 PM
I'd just like to say that this thread has been done before and last time it was a Tome of Battle sequel. This was the result (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183826) from playswithfire.

Tvtyrant
2011-10-29, 03:03 PM

I disagree, under the ocean is at least as different from on top of it as deserts are to underdark or tundra.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-10-29, 03:18 PM
Races of Ill-Repute (orks, ogres, goblins, bugbears, etc.)

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

A jungle/swamp environment book would be great. After Stormwrack had the Hadozee, I found myself desperately wishing for a single book Spelljammer release.

Treblain
2011-10-29, 03:30 PM
It might seem odd for a full splatbook, but I want a Complete Archer book.

More general stuff for archers (a Power Attack equivalent?), a ranged ToB discipline, a better Arcane Archer (maybe with Divination in the way Abjurant Champion has Abjuration), ACFs for rogues, scouts, rangers, and paladins, a sniper that gets unlimited range precision damage and can hit hard with a single attack, and a crossbow PrC or two. Oh, and reprint Craven (EDIT: Splitting,) and Darkstalker in a less obscure book.

gallagher
2011-10-29, 03:49 PM
but how would the ToB spellthief, aka the maneuverthief, work? he gives you a light concussion, robbing you of memory of a maneuver? or would he just learn the maneuver after watching you do it? would he have a stance that lets him deny you of your stance?

i want to see that pulled off!

NineThePuma
2011-10-29, 03:58 PM
but how would the ToB spellthief, aka the maneuverthief, work? he gives you a light concussion, robbing you of memory of a maneuver? or would he just learn the maneuver after watching you do it? would he have a stance that lets him deny you of your stance?

i want to see that pulled off!

... I see you, mister Uchiha.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-29, 04:01 PM
... I see you, mister Uchiha.

Sasuke's an arcane swordsage//spellthief/maneuvertheif.

So are Kakashi and Itachi, for that matter.

NineThePuma
2011-10-29, 04:05 PM
I could actually see Itachi as a Beguiler instead of a swordsage.

cthulhubear
2011-10-29, 04:22 PM
I would enjoy a tome of subsystems aswell, but I don't want very much more content on the ToB system because compared to other sub systems it got tons of support in terms of homebrew. I'd much rather see some more options for the less supported sub systems like Incarnum, Binding, Invocation-Users, A fix for Shadowcasting and Truenaming and a little bit of support for Psionics.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-29, 04:24 PM
I would enjoy a tome of subsystems aswell, but I don't want very much more content on the ToB system because compared to other sub systems it got tons of support in terms of homebrew. I'd much rather see some more options for the less supported sub systems like Incarnum, Binding, Invocation-Users, A fix for Shadowcasting and Truenaming and a little bit of support for Psionics.

Those get a lot of homebrew support too, though admittedly not as much as ToB. And the whole point of the 'official splatbook' stamp is that it'd be official...there are countless DMs out there who will allow anything with WotC's stamp on it no matter how outlandish, but ban anything 3rd party or homebrew. This would be our chance to get the best of that ToB homebrew and give it the branding of officiality.

Eldan
2011-10-29, 05:57 PM
I'm a rules lawyer a bit, sometimes.

Therefore, my perfect rulebook would have over twelve thousand pages and be called

"The Complete Rules Revision
and
Cosmology of the Great Wheel
as envisioned by
Eldan

with special care based on those monsters sadly neglected in 3.5:
The Fey, the Eladrin and the Yugoloth"

cthulhubear
2011-10-29, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a pretty good bulletproof vest and a flame shield to me. Also it'd make for a wonderful book to throw at any munchkin you have at your table :smallbiggrin:

ShriekingDrake
2011-10-29, 06:26 PM
+1 on the jungle/forest//woodlands themed book.

Daftendirekt
2011-10-29, 07:21 PM
Swamp environmental book sounds good, as does the book of goblinoids and such -- that one better include troglodytes, though. They've always been one of my favorite races. Them and bugbears.

Smokin Red
2011-10-29, 07:26 PM
Book of Goblinoids would be great...
BUT I would vote the E6-Compendium :smallwink:

HunterOfJello
2011-10-29, 07:32 PM
ToB sequel with errata for ToB and it's sequel.

It would include a Psionics/Martial Adept prestige class, a ranged martial adept class similar to the swordsage, along with additional maneuvers from the 9 disciplines and 1 additional discipline for the ranged martial adept. It would include alternative versions of the melee classes from Core that give them a slow maneuver progression at the cost of some of their abilities similar to the way that the psionic versions of classes like the Psychic Rogue was released.

It could also include some better prestige classes along with a few intelligent items and alternative versions of the Nine Swords. The alternative versions could be artifacts or just simpler weapons that are more efficient than their weapon of legacy versions.

~

If that wasn't available a Magic Item Compendium 2 or Spell Compendium 2 would be awesome.

~

Oh! Or a printed and well done version of a Planescape Campaign Setting for Pathfinder or 3.5e would be cool.

TravelLog
2011-10-29, 07:35 PM
I really would like to see more Incarnum and Binding support, along with a touch more TOB, mainly in the style of dual-progression PrCs.

Necroticplague
2011-10-29, 08:43 PM
Lost Control and Everything's Place

Similarly to BoVD and BoED, except it focuses on the law vs. chaos axis. Lost control talks about the Far Realms and Limbo, maybe with a base class that gains power from chanelling the chaos of those places through them, while Everythings Place would focus on Mechanus, and some other Lawful Plane, with proper support.

Also big fan of Tome of Subsystems. One of the problems with some of them is that some systems have no support outside their own books (ToB, ToM).

Eldariel
2011-10-29, 08:46 PM
Lost Control and Everything's Place

Similarly to BoVD and BoED, except it focuses on the law vs. chaos axis. Lost control talks about the Far Realms and Limbo, maybe with a base class that gains power from chanelling the chaos of those places through them, while Everythings Place would focus on Mechanus, and some other Lawful Plane, with proper support.

Also big fan of Tome of Subsystems. One of the problems with some of them is that some systems have no support outside their own books (ToB, ToM).

Binding actually has surprising amounts of external support. It's more in line with psionics than anything else in that regard.

Zeta Kai
2011-10-29, 09:02 PM
Tome of Obscura

Incarnum
Invocations
Maneuvers/Stances
Truenaming
Vestiges

WindShear: The Book of the Sky

Air Races
Air Feats
Air Classes
Air Spells
Air Monsters

Races of the Fey

The Seelie Court
The Unseelie Court
Dryad
Faerie*
Nymph
Redcap*
Satyr
Sprite

Races of War

Bugbear
Goblin
Hobgoblin
Ogre
Orc
Troll

Celestial Codex: Wings From On High

Angels of Elysium
Archons of Celestia
Eladrin of Arborea

Fiendish Codex III: Masters of Gehenna

Yugoloths
A Tour of Gehenna: Khalas
A Tour of Gehenna: Chamada
A Tour of Gehenna: Mungoth
A Tour of Gehenna: Krangath
A Tour of Gehenna: The Crawling City

Feat Compendium

General Feats
Item Creation Feats
Metamagic Feats
Racial Feats
Style Feats
Tactical Feats

Vortling
2011-10-29, 09:07 PM
Definitely putting my vote behind Tome of Subsystems or Complete Subsystems. My big hope would be for more invocation support for the dragonfire adept. Such a neat class, so little support.

sreservoir
2011-10-29, 09:16 PM
Binding actually has surprising amounts of external support. It's more in line with psionics than anything else in that regard.

psionics has two whole books, scattered mentions, and all of mind's eye.

soul binding has one-third of a book, scattered mentions, and scattered web articles.

enough external support, to be sure. in line with psionics, not quite.

Lateral
2011-10-29, 09:47 PM
psionics has two whole books, scattered mentions, and all of mind's eye.

Complete Psionics really should be regarded as a quarter of a book, maybe a third at most. Most of what's in there is crap.

big teej
2011-10-29, 09:55 PM
somebody should start lobbying WOTC with these ideas...

sreservoir
2011-10-29, 09:59 PM
Complete Psionics really should be regarded as a quarter of a book, maybe a third at most. Most of what's in there is crap.

it still has at least XPH, and 1 > 1/3.

Arcane_Secrets
2011-10-29, 10:24 PM
A revised Epic Level Handbook that addresses a lot of the problems and has epic expansions that are worthwhile for all of the other splatbook PrC's.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-29, 10:42 PM
A revised Epic Level Handbook that addresses a lot of the problems and has epic expansions that are worthwhile for all of the other splatbook PrC's.

Better yet, just make the Epic Level Handbook and suggestion to buy Exalted.

Daftendirekt
2011-10-30, 01:21 AM
somebody should start lobbying WOTC with these ideas...

Anybody honestly hoping to get more 3.5 material out of WotC is about as delusional as somebody still hoping that Firefly will magically come back. It's not going to happen. Nor, necessarily (especially in the case of Firefly, not 10 years later), should it.

big teej
2011-10-30, 01:43 AM
Anybody honestly hoping to get more 3.5 material out of WotC is about as delusional as somebody still hoping that Firefly will magically come back. It's not going to happen. Nor, necessarily (especially in the case of Firefly, not 10 years later), should it.

nonsense, next you'll be telling me santa and the easterbunny arn't real.
:mitd:

TravelLog
2011-10-30, 01:50 AM
I think if all of us are so behind a Tome of Subsystems, why not do it ourselves? Or even Fiendish Codex 3: Masters of Gehenna. The Gstes of Celestia project has shown that's it possible, and what are we as a homebrewing community if we don't follow through on our desires and dreams?

HunterOfJello
2011-10-30, 05:47 AM
I think if all of us are so behind a Tome of Subsystems, why not do it ourselves?

A million little reasons that eventually add up to it not getting done.

Tenno Seremel
2011-10-30, 06:44 AM
"A book of little things"… with gazillion effects you cannot apply in battle unless you are creative but could be useful to real creatures if they lived in such a world. Counts as spells, powers, whatever else non-mundane thing you prefer. And learned for free in addition to everything, obviously. Welcome to the world of gender bending, crazy traditions, rules and practices.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-30, 09:52 AM

Right. I don't think this actually going to happen...but it's still a fun idea to think about, and who knows, it might inspire homebrewers out there.

Tael
2011-10-30, 10:15 AM
The Tome of Magic 2: More Than Just Soulbinding!

Yeah. Rewrite of the Truenamer and more Utterances, buffs to the Shadowcaster and more Mysteries, New Soulbinding base class and more Vestiges.

Far more likely to actually get done, and imo, would be a lot better quality than such a general "subsystem" sourcebook.

NineThePuma
2011-10-30, 10:18 AM
I'd like to second Zeta Kai's suggestions, ESPECIALLY Races of War.

For some reason, I think that going in and... Maybe not Blizzardifying the orcs, but making them more three dimensional would be a really fun project.

Knaight
2011-10-30, 10:30 AM
Introductory Book

Essentially, a pared down, rules minimalist d20 system. The PHB, MM, and DMG fit in 1 book, that is a few hundred pages, and compressed largely by simplification of the mechanics.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-30, 10:31 AM
Introductory Book

Essentially, a pared down, rules minimalist d20 system. The PHB, MM, and DMG fit in 1 book, that is a few hundred pages, and compressed largely by simplification of the mechanics.

Insert 6E joke here?:smallsmile:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-30, 11:30 AM
A million little reasons that eventually add up to it not getting done.

Dude, we're not making excuses. There's huge support for ToB on here, and some stuff for the others (I've seen some totemist support). The problem is, a lot of DMs will flat-out ban all homebrew and allow anything official without even looking. I know one DM like that on these very forums!

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-30, 12:05 PM
Tome of Deception. We all love a good lie, gods know the there is homebrew to that effect, but little in the way of classes or PrCs to aid and abet lies, trickery and falsehoods.

Silva Stormrage
2011-10-30, 12:29 PM
Libris Mortis II

Some book of undead that actually helps the players create and customize undead. One thing that annoyed me about libris mortis was that it was mostly for monsters imo. Something that helps necromancer create and customize their undead instead of just making zombies and skeletons out of everything they find would be nice. Also maybe it could add some good corpse crafter feats.

Zeta Kai
2011-10-30, 01:02 PM
Insert 6E joke here?:smallsmile:

Well, E6 can only be compressed so far. You can ditch all of the spells over 4th level, most of the monsters with CRs higher than about 10 or so, & anything about epic progression. But your still have to have all of the CharGen info, all of the combat mechanics, all of the skills, all of the feats, all of the DM advice, & probably all of the planes. It could be a single book, but it would still be a big book, unless you simplify/eliminate a lot of mechanics (grappling & AoOs, I'm looking at both of you).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-30, 01:04 PM
Well, E6 can only be compressed so far. You can ditch all of the spells over 4th level, most of the monsters with CRs higher than about 10 or so, & anything about epic progression. But your still have to have all of the CharGen info, all of the combat mechanics, all of the skills, all of the feats, all of the DM advice, & probably all of the planes. It could be a single book, but it would still be a big book, unless you simplify/eliminate a lot of mechanics (grappling & AoOs, I'm looking at both of you).

He said 6E.

Strormer
2011-10-30, 01:37 PM
I agree with a book on Fey and Fey related classes/prcs/etc. Make more playable Fey races.

I also support the Libris Mortis II and Complete Archer books.

I would also love to see the Birthright and Planescape Campaign Settings get some printed 3.5 support.

Still, my number 1 is Fey.

Zeta Kai
2011-10-30, 02:00 PM
He said 6E.

You mean 6th Edition? Oh, that's just the instruction booklet that comes with the MMO installation disk, right between the merchandise order form & the DLC download codes. :smallwink: I'm kidding, calm down, it's a joke, I don't think that way, & I don't care about your witty rebuttal to my non-opinion.

JackRackham
2011-10-30, 02:51 PM
I love all these ideas, but I'd really be satisfied with just two more feats. Improved sneak attack would increase one's effective SA level by 4 up to their HD. Greater SA would have ISA as a prereq and would up it by an additional 4 above and beyond HD. My friend, the only other DM I know, coincidentally loves classes that get uncanny dodge, while I love to play a rogue.

Keegan__D
2011-10-30, 04:49 PM
I'd like them to put out three more 3.5 rulebooks.

All WotC Official Base Classes and Feats
All WotC Official Prestige Classes
All WotC Official Spells/Invocations/Etc

No fluff, just reprint everything from everywhere, regardless of campaign setting, no new content. You know they'd sell.

These, and one for variants. Though, I'd like fluff in there too. The base classes and feats could fit it and be about the size of the PH, but the PRC book would be thick as hell and awesome. Spells obviously don't need much fluff.

Cespenar
2011-10-30, 06:08 PM
Complete Weeaboo Fightan Magic. SARCASM!

molten_dragon
2011-10-30, 06:34 PM
I'd like to see a feat compendium similar to MiC and SpC.

Zeta Kai
2011-10-30, 06:58 PM
I love all these ideas, but I'd really be satisfied with just two more feats. Improved sneak attack would increase one's effective SA level by 4 up to their HD. Greater SA would have ISA as a prereq and would up it by an additional 4 above and beyond HD. My friend, the only other DM I know, coincidentally loves classes that get uncanny dodge, while I love to play a rogue.

How about this Improved Sneak Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10081400#post10081400) (from the Hourglass of Zihaja project)?

Arcane_Secrets
2011-10-30, 08:16 PM
Libris Mortis II

Some book of undead that actually helps the players create and customize undead. One thing that annoyed me about libris mortis was that it was mostly for monsters imo. Something that helps necromancer create and customize their undead instead of just making zombies and skeletons out of everything they find would be nice. Also maybe it could add some good corpse crafter feats.

Would you be willing to be a bit more specific in terms of what you're looking for, especially in terms of the corpsecrafter feats?

DoughGuy
2011-10-31, 02:13 AM
Don't know if its been said yet but - Complete Gish!

hamishspence
2011-10-31, 04:24 AM
Introductory Book

Sounds a lot like 0E's Rules Compendium.

Indeed- something like that might be an interesting style to revert to.

Acanous
2011-10-31, 04:44 AM
Potions and Poisons
an adventurer's guide to Alchemy

It would have a bunch of new items granting alchemical bonuses, and poisons that actually WORK, WELL, AFTER 10th level!
No new spells, a few feats, a ton of items, class variants, and a PrC or two.

kme
2011-10-31, 04:45 AM
Tome of Peace: Book dedicated completely to non combat aspects of DnD. It would include expanded diplomacy, stealth, trading etc. along with new classes, prestige classes, feats for such play.

Actual spells Compendium: Book full of the non-combat spells that would actually be the reason to become a wizard. Really, 99% of current spells are designed for combat and every mage is a a war mage...

Book of NPCs: Everything NPC related. Endless possibilities - expanded rules, generic builds, tactics, various personalities and suggestions how to run NPCs easily, templates of locations that could be slightly modified to suit different needs etc. etc.

These three suggestions could possibly be packed into one book but it would be more awesome if they were separate.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-31, 09:45 AM
Book of NPCs: Everything NPC related. Endless possibilities - expanded rules, generic builds, tactics, various personalities and suggestions how to run NPCs easily, templates of locations that could be slightly modified to suit different needs etc. etc.

Huh. I actually kind of have this. I've been stockpiling legit builds for a while now, complete with personality write-ups, etc. I often reuse them in various campaigns, and they're of sufficient quality to work as player prefabs too. Me and a friend who does the same have been joking about publishing it when we get to 101 of em.

Zeta Kai
2011-10-31, 10:04 AM
Potions and Poisons
an adventurer's guide to Alchemy

It would have a bunch of new items granting alchemical bonuses, and poisons that actually WORK, WELL, AFTER 10th level!
No new spells, a few feats, a ton of items, class variants, and a PrC or two.

Well, the Hourglass of Zihaja project covered that, too. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11443211#post11443211)'s the Alchemist, & here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11370329#post11370329) are the new rules for poison. Enjoy.

TravelLog
2011-10-31, 10:26 AM
NeoSeraphi has started a thread for the Book of Neutrality. Check it out here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220877).

kulosle
2011-10-31, 10:42 AM
complete skill monkey (insert better name here)

and i don't mean a better CAdv or CS. neither of those are focused on skills. i love the skill monkey and i don't think that they are very well supported in dnd.

Magic Myrmidon
2011-10-31, 02:49 PM
A tome of Archery would be great. Archery's my favorite archetype next to magic users. But if there was just another Tome of Battle that included some ranged classes, that'd be great, too.

Zonugal
2011-10-31, 02:51 PM
I'd really like a Races of the Jungle book to cover goblins, full-orcs and the jungle environment.

Phfantom
2011-10-31, 03:39 PM
I’ve found my dream splatbook, Eclipse the Codex Persona (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=51255&filters=0_0_0&manufacturers_id=617). It has covered all of my needs as a player and DM, since I found it a couple years ago.

Pyromancer999
2011-11-03, 02:12 PM
Tome of Subsystems and a few others sound great, but it'd be really nice to see a point-buy system from WoTC. Yes, there's Buy the Numbers, Complete Control, Eclipse, True20, and so on out there, but it'd be really interesting to see WoTC's version of such a thing. Probably would have a name like Mix-and-Match, Tome of Customization, or Unique People or something like that.

CactusAir
2011-11-03, 03:14 PM
I agree with the person who said more support for ToB and Incarnum. Throw in a little more love for DFA's and Shadowcasting too.

Thiyr
2011-11-03, 03:24 PM
Definitely agree with the Tome of All The Cool Stuff We Stopped Thinking About After We Published It.

I would love a races book for goblinoids (mostly them goblins though.) Only risk I see is how easily it would turn into a "hey, goblins, let's just make them all primitive tribal types and make them boring, one-dimensional, and uninteresting. It's not like they could ever be anything else."

Also, Complete Shapeshifter: The full, extended, final rules on polymorph and how it works (with a ten page appendix containing a few classes/races which can do the polymorph thing without just breaking the world in half. But mostly just 100 pages of how polymorph works.)

Curmudgeon
2011-11-03, 03:25 PM
Complete Antimagic - a guidebook for avoiding, confronting, and confounding magic of all kinds. Basically, classes and options that thumb their noses at spellcasters.

Celebrochan
2011-11-03, 04:38 PM
The more I think about this the more I think that Arcana Evolved and Pathfinder already gave me everything I wanted...

CockroachTeaParty
2011-11-03, 11:11 PM
I'd echo a Races of book for goblinoids and orcs... Races of War, perhaps...

Also, a book for races like trogs, grimlocks, kuo-toa, derro, and similar creatures would be cool, 'Races of the Deep,' or 'Races of Darkness.' Why did drow get all the love?

A book exclusively for giants would be cool, like what Draconomicon/Libris Mortis/Lords of Madness did for their respective monster groups.

DarkestKnight
2011-11-03, 11:48 PM
Dream Splatbook eh?
...The book of Cthulu...
But yeah more love for the Knight would be cool. Would also like to see some new races or perhaps rules on re-hashing races.

Midnight_v
2011-11-04, 04:50 AM
I thought of another one.

"Races of the Horde" Which would be a resource for actually playable ugly people.
Orcs/Half-orcs, The 3 kinds of Goblinoid, Lizardfolk... Something else?

There'd be base changes to the horde races, to make them more reasonable aka player friendly, prcs, racial feats, etc. . . its be cool.

Coidzor
2011-11-04, 05:00 AM
I'd go for a combination of that Book of Subsystems idea and further unearthed arcana territory variants on them and base 3.5.

Bruce Runs Laps Around Monte and Skip :smallamused:

I don't particularly like ToB, but there definitely needs to be something similar. A grittier balance to its cinematic style of play, perhaps. I'm just interested in what Bruce would do if he were allowed free reign on the topic of "fix 3.5".

Bruce? :smallconfused:

Psyren
2011-11-04, 07:31 AM
Bruce? :smallconfused:

Bruce Cordell, the mind behind the XPH, Hyperconscious and a contributor to almost every other splat containing psionic material.

He is also unfortunately credited on CPsi, but I have little doubt that WotC forced him to make all those godawful "divine psionics" powers and fluff like the Divine Mind just so they could cram their precious FR deities into a system that neither needed nor wanted them.

Complete Antimagic - a guidebook for avoiding, confronting, and confounding magic of all kinds. Basically, classes and options that thumb their noses at spellcasters.

Your intentions are noble, but given that the best defense against magic is more magic, I have little doubt that such a book would make spellcasters even stronger. The last time they tried to make a true anti-caster we ended up with Iot7FV.

Boci
2011-11-04, 07:39 AM
The last time they tried succeeded to make a true anti-caster we ended up with Iot7FV.

Fixed for you. We have plenty of "tried" non-magical attempts.

Curmudgeon
2011-11-04, 02:28 PM
Your intentions are noble, but given that the best defense against magic is more magic, I have little doubt that such a book would make spellcasters even stronger.
You're not thinking outside the usual D&D box on this one, I'm afraid. "Avoiding, confronting, and confounding magic of all kinds" means exactly that: everything works in an Antimagic Field, and no spellcasting is used; these abilities should dovetail with feats like Pierce Magical Concealment which diminish your CL (by 8 for that one), and of course there should be more feats along that line. I envision class abilities like the following:

Spell Resistance (Ex): You gain spell resistance equal to 12 + 2x your <Antimagic Class> levels + your levels in other classes. At 5th level this SR increases to 17 + 2x your <Antimagic Class> levels + your levels in other classes.
Mettle (Ex): You can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If you make a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), you instead completely negate the effect.
Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, as long as you are within 10 feet of some sort of a shadow, you can use the Hide skill even when being observed. See the assassin class feature, DMG 181. (lifted verbatim from Dread Fang of Lolth, Drow of the Underdark 81-82)
Greater Spell Resistance (Ex): Casters of spells with "Spell Resistance: No" must still make caster level checks to affect you, just as if the spell had "Spell Resistance: Yes". This applies to other magical effects as well, not just spells.
Spell Reflection (Ex): Similar to the ACF in Complete Mage (page 35) but Extraordinary, and you don't give up evasion.
Second Save (Ex): You may take a second chance to save against any magical effect. If the effect did not allow a saving throw, you may reduce the damage you receive by half and avoid all other effects with a successful Will save. Using second save does not allow you to use mettle on an effect which normally does not qualify. Each use of second save reduces your caster level for all your spells and spell-like abilities by 2 (cumulative) until dawn of the next day.

Add skill uses like Spot Spellcasting (notice the concentration required even for spells without verbal or somatic components); Sense Abjuration, Sense Illusion, ... to go along with the existing Sense Enchantment feature of Sense Motive; and Disable Spell (expansion of Disable Device to affect spells that aren't traps) and we're getting there.

The last time they tried to make a true anti-caster we ended up with Iot7FV.
That wasn't an anti-caster at all. That was just another caster who was good at fighting fire with fire.

Psyren
2011-11-04, 02:44 PM
Do you need a whole book for that? Just what you've listed would be pretty hard for a caster to get past. (Though they can still run away from you.)

Curmudgeon
2011-11-04, 03:01 PM
Do you need a whole book for that? Just what you've listed would be pretty hard for a caster to get past. (Though they can still run away from you.)
That's just the start: mostly avoidance. For confronting the spellcaster you need attacks that diminish their abilities. An attack that reduces the caster's CL is an excellent start (would be a good Rogue special ability to go along with Crippling Strike). A feat which lets you pick a school of magic and then forces the caster to make a Sense Motive check or lose a spell of that school after your successful attack would be grand. If you pick Transmutation that covers Fly and Expeditious Retreat; Conjuration covers Teleport. That might make running away problematic. :smallwink:

I'm sure you can think of lots more ways to confound the spellcaster. How about something like an Assassin's Death Attack, except instead of a chance of killing the target after a few rounds of study you've got a chance to temporarily (say rounds = antimagic class levels) hit them with a (nonmagical) antimagic effect? Not being able to use magic at all for the next few rounds makes the spellcaster weak exactly where they're normally strongest.

Dsurion
2011-11-04, 03:09 PM
Just what you've listed would be pretty hard for a caster to get past. (Though they can still run away from you.)And what a shame that would be :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2011-11-04, 05:14 PM
And what a shame that would be :smallbiggrin:

Because it's just trying to make things completely one-sided in the same way that people pick out as the biggest crime of casters in the system.

Boci
2011-11-04, 05:17 PM
That wasn't an anti-caster at all. That was just another caster who was good at fighting fire with fire.

Isn't that by definition an anti-caster?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-04, 05:22 PM
Isn't that by definition an anti-caster?
I think not. Someone whose abilities are dependent on spellcasting, and fail completely in an Antimagic Field, is no anti-caster; they're just another caster.

Because it's just trying to make things completely one-sided in the same way that people pick out as the biggest crime of casters in the system. Spellcasters have one tool that solves a lot of problems, like a big Swiss Army knife. (In contrast, other classes give tools that may solve one problem well, but don't have much versatility; for example, an übercharger is like a corkscrew: very good at one thing, but just that one thing.) It's not any more one-sided to throw an antimagic opponent at a spellcasting specialist than it is to throw undead at a sneak attack specialist.

There's no completely one-sided here; D&D has a great many sides. Spellcasting is a big, shiny side with few disadvantages, is all ─ something I think ought to be addressed, and hence my wish for a Complete Antimagic supplement.

Boci
2011-11-04, 05:29 PM
I think not. Someone whose abilities are dependent on spellcasting, and fail completely in an Antimagic Field, is no anti-caster; they're just another caster.

I'd say an anti-caster is anyone who has a significant amount of their powers focused on taking out casters. I don't see any reason why other casters should be excluded. Why does being neutralized by a single spell (until they move 10ft away) exclude someone from being an anti-caster?

JaronK
2011-11-04, 05:44 PM
I'd like to see more remade class fixes like ToB. I'd love to see more classes like the Dread Necromancer, Beguiler, and Warmage... perhaps an Abjuration caster like that whose abilities are based around being a defensive antimagic gish? Maybe with a poor chasis (half BAB, poor HD, etc) but with really solid buffs that make him able to fight well and lots of Dispel Magic and other anti magic spellcasting abilities? Stuff like that, balanced nicely. A proper ninja class (Swordsage got close, but no trapfinding or UMD or Disguise hurts), maybe a weapon specialist base class, a solid summoner base class, and so on. Just a bunch of well made, well balanced base classes.

JaronK

Zeta Kai
2011-11-04, 05:49 PM
Huh. I actually kind of have this. I've been stockpiling legit builds for a while now, complete with personality write-ups, etc. I often reuse them in various campaigns, and they're of sufficient quality to work as player prefabs too. Me and a friend who does the same have been joking about publishing it when we get to 101 of em.

Well, I for one would love to see this. I'm sure that others would, as well. Off to the homebrew mines with you!

Just a bunch of well made, well balanced base classes.

Gee, that would be nice. Well made, well balanced classes published by WotC would be a wonderful thing... sigh...

Pyromancer999
2011-11-04, 06:01 PM
I'd like to see more remade class fixes like ToB. I'd love to see more classes like the Dread Necromancer, Beguiler, and Warmage... perhaps an Abjuration caster like that whose abilities are based around being a defensive antimagic gish? Maybe with a poor chasis (half BAB, poor HD, etc) but with really solid buffs that make him able to fight well and lots of Dispel Magic and other anti magic spellcasting abilities? Stuff like that, balanced nicely. A proper ninja class (Swordsage got close, but no trapfinding or UMD or Disguise hurts), maybe a weapon specialist base class, a solid summoner base class, and so on. Just a bunch of well made, well balanced base classes.

JaronK

When it comes to ninja, if you want to convert it to being a ninja, allowing less disciplines than the normal Swordsage and/or switching some disciplines out, plus switching out a class feature or two should do it.

Still, a solid Summoner class would be nice. It seems like one of those things that should have its own system.

Coidzor
2011-11-04, 06:15 PM
I'd like to see more remade class fixes like ToB. I'd love to see more classes like the Dread Necromancer, Beguiler, and Warmage... perhaps an Abjuration caster like that whose abilities are based around being a defensive antimagic gish?

Indeed, those'd be quite nice.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-11-04, 07:03 PM
I would want 1 enormous book of the most up to date version of everything WoTC ever published. no fluff, just rules and tables of everything. I honestly don't care if the book ends up being 2500 page long and 1-1/2' x 2'. I want everything in one place. and also a pdf version for easy earching. This includes any official web enhancements and errata published.

Tenno Seremel
2011-11-05, 12:10 AM
Greater Spell Resistance (Ex): Casters of spells with "Spell Resistance: No" must still make caster level checks to affect you, just as if the spell had "Spell Resistance: Yes". This applies to other magical effects as well, not just spells.

So… you can "disbelieve" (so to speak) a boulder hurled into your face just because it was hurled with a magic force? And that's an Ex? Ouch.

Spell reflections are just cheap "no you" IMO, but that's just me.

Midnight_v
2011-11-05, 12:28 AM
I don't think thats the right rubric for balance but some people having things like spell turning and anti-magic as ex abilities is okay. The reason they run so rampant is because while a grappler has freedom of movement to contend with magic has way more effects to switch to if one approach fails.
That's honestly the reason why I advocate the tome series, despite the naysayers. I had to choose at the end of 3.5 between a few things, Same System: Pf; System Where No one gets nice thing: 4th; System where everyone gets nice things: The Tomes.
Which despite what anybody says, are really just tier 31/2 to tier 2. Though they do all perform well on the SMG.
I guess though you could play a tier 3 game so, that'd be an interesting splatbook.
The Players Handbook Tier 3 edition. (Revised and Refined tier 3 classes for your pleasure)

Curmudgeon
2011-11-05, 04:31 AM
So… you can "disbelieve" (so to speak) a boulder hurled into your face just because it was hurled with a magic force? And that's an Ex?
You're missing the basic idea of how antimagic abilities would work. You're not "disbelieving" the magic; the boulder might not hit you because magic actually doesn't work so well around you. If the magic ceases to propel the boulder when it gets close to you, that boulder is going to fall short. You might still get hit (the caster level check will show if the spellcaster's magic is stronger than your antimagic) but you've got a chance.

Magic operates in most of the D&D cosmology, but it's not consistent. There are planes where magic is mutable, and there are planes where there's no magic at all. While members of spellcasting classes learn how to make magic work for them, a member of an antimagic class has learned ways to make magic not work around them.

flumphy
2011-11-05, 04:43 AM
I'd go with the Tome of More Battle. I don't really care for any of the other subsystems, so I'd want all the space devoted to initiator goodness.

Knaight
2011-11-05, 04:44 AM
You're missing the basic idea of how antimagic abilities would work. You're not "disbelieving" the magic; the boulder might not hit you because magic actually doesn't work so well around you. If the magic ceases to propel the boulder when it gets close to you, that boulder is going to fall short. You might still get hit (the caster level check will show if the spellcaster's magic is stronger than your antimagic) but you've got a chance.

However, if it is flying at any speed worth considering, then the ceasing of magical acceleration doesn't change the fact that it is loaded with momentum from earlier and will take you out all the same.

Little Brother
2011-11-05, 05:01 AM
Big Brother is watching.You called? :smalltongue:

Book of NPCs: Everything NPC related. Endless possibilities - expanded rules, generic builds, tactics, various personalities and suggestions how to run NPCs easily, templates of locations that could be slightly modified to suit different needs etc. etcI really like this. Really like.

My ideal splat? PHB 2.0: Include all those cool new races, or support for other races. Maybe new support for iconic but under-supported races, like Orcs and goblins.
Change the core classes: IE Wizard=Psion, Sorcerer=Dread Necro/Beguiler/Warmage, Fighter=Warblade, Barbarian=Warblade, Ranger=Ranger or Swordsage, Bard=Bard, Rogue=Factotum/Swordsage, Druid=Wildshape or Mystic Ranger, or Totemist, Paladin=Crusader, and so on.
Decent support for the systems included.
That sorta thing

Curmudgeon
2011-11-05, 05:29 AM
However, if it is flying at any speed worth considering, then the ceasing of magical acceleration doesn't change the fact that it is loaded with momentum from earlier and will take you out all the same.
Exactly, and that's what the caster level check will determine: if the spellcaster was able to get the boulder up to speed before the antimagic had a chance to nullify that acceleration.

Thiyr
2011-11-05, 06:00 AM
My ideal splat? PHB 2.0

Butbutbut...we already have a PHB 2!

Tenno Seremel
2011-11-05, 07:06 AM
You're missing the basic idea of how antimagic abilities would work. You're not "disbelieving" the magic; the boulder might not hit you because magic actually doesn't work so well around you.

I'm talknig about creation effects. There is no magic by the time it hits you. Like psionic crystal based powers. You are effectively disbelieving physical reality here.

HalfDragonCube
2011-11-05, 07:36 AM
I reckon my dream book would be named something like 'The Book of Questionable Heritage'.

Curmudgeon
2011-11-05, 08:07 AM
I'm talknig about creation effects. There is no magic by the time it hits you. Like psionic crystal based powers. You are effectively disbelieving physical reality here.
There's no disbelief involved, but you're wrong about there being no magic on the way to you (the antimagic character). The magical creation part is over (the mass), but the created item still needs to get from the spellcaster to the intended target (force to accelerate that mass). On the way there, the antimagic foils the propulsive magic and the entirely real created item doesn't make it to you; it misses because of lack of energy.
If the spell has an instantaneous duration, the created object or creature is merely assembled through magic. It lasts indefinitely and does not depend on magic for its existence. The created substance's existence isn't in jeopardy, but its propulsion via magic isn't guaranteed.

Tenno Seremel
2011-11-05, 02:47 PM
There's no disbelief involved, but you're wrong about there being no magic on the way to you (the antimagic character). The magical creation part is over (the mass), but the created item still needs to get from the spellcaster to the intended target (force to accelerate that mass). On the way there, the antimagic foils the propulsive magic and the entirely real created item doesn't make it to you; it misses because of lack of energy. The created substance's existence isn't in jeopardy, but its propulsion via magic isn't guaranteed.

There is no propulsion magic because it is not stated that there is. Therefore magic only creates it and gives it speed. Even more, there is a power Hail of Crystals that affects 20 ft. radius burst at the point in space (you create it then it goes to the point)… you can't shield yourself with Antimagic field from this as that is only 10 ft. radius. To beat this you need DR.

NineThePuma
2011-11-05, 02:52 PM
I'd like to request that the Antimagic discussion go to a separate thread. This has basically derailed what I thought was a wonderful topic. :smallfrown:

Little Brother
2011-11-05, 03:16 PM
Butbutbut...we already have a PHB 2!Fine, PHB 1.5: What It Should Have Looked Like.

Midnight_v
2011-11-05, 04:29 PM
Fine, PHB 1.5: What It Should Have Looked Like.
That... well ... thats a wildly varied thing "What it SHOULD have looked like" lol,on that, few people seem to agree.

JackRackham
2011-11-05, 04:42 PM
How about this Improved Sneak Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10081400#post10081400) (from the Hourglass of Zihaja project)?

Not the point. Wizard have feats that allow them to beat spell resistance. I feel rogues should have something that allows them, with a feat tax, to beat uncanny dodge. And I think that whatever it is should allow for multi-classing and enable them to sneak attack a character of his/her level (not higher).