PDA

View Full Version : Rapahel and his Rapier

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-28, 02:16 PM
Soul Calibur V
Early-ish 2012
Favourite Character: Raphael (And Amy by extension)
Build Idea/Goal: Rapier Semi-Optimized ("Human") Fighter
Feat Thought Listing: (There's a few, which are the flops that I don't notice)
Weapon Finesse: Dex focus
Quick Draw: Standard Sword in Hand fluff
Dodge/Mobility: +1 AC, is never bad, back out when need be.
Combat Reflexes/Rollibars Gambit: Duh (for me at least)
Improved Critical: Better chance to wound.
Improved Initiative: Quick on the Draw
Weapon Focus/Specialization (Greater/Mastery/Supremacy: Good Boosts
Driving Attack: Culmination Piercing Move for Higher level Fighter.
Acrobatic Strike: Dodge Roll Hit
Overwhelming Assault/Defensive Sweep: Keep Foes at Bay
Lunging Strike: Flavour
Evasive Reflexes: Move away from dangerous situation rather than plugging forward.
Rapid Assaut: Attacking first deals better damage.
Defensive Strike: Block then Strike
Eyes in the back of your head: No flanking benefit
Hold the Line: AoO against Charging Foe
(That's all I can think of, Right now)
Other Stuff:
Rapier Wounding, Vicious, Warning Rapier
Training Dummied.
Mithral Shirted
Robe of the Iron Mage: +4 Ac (Mage Armor on a piece of cloth)

Any other ideas? Only maybe Warblade instead of Fighter depending on what feats should be taken. This all started with me looking for a decent Rapier focused build, lacking that I left it and carried on with my life, then I went and checked up on SoulV and remembered that I wanted to make a Rapier fighter so I'm back to it, Since I plan to use fighter as base (for the time being at least) I just looked for every feat that would seem useful or flavourful however as a Human Fighter he'd need to be Level 21 to have them all (Vampire gives Combat Reflexes, Dodge and Improved Initiative for free) As a (Human) Vampire Fighter ECL 29 it is possible, but seeing as this is either going to be an optional boss for a 5-15 Campaign, or a build I hope to play in the future, I'd like to find a way to lower it down. First step is by cutting Vamp, but still much to cut, so any thoughts, questions, comments, concerns, ideas, examples of a 3.5 All Books allowed Pre-Vamp Rapier Fighter Raphael?

Tokuhara
2011-10-28, 02:21 PM
Soul Calibur V
Early-ish 2012
Favourite Character: Raphael (And Amy by extension)
Build Idea/Goal: Rapier Semi-Optimized ("Human") Fighter
Feat Thought Listing: (There's a few, which are the flops that I don't notice)
Weapon Finesse: Dex focus
Quick Draw: Standard Sword in Hand fluff
Dodge/Mobility: +1 AC, is never bad, back out when need be.
Combat Reflexes/Rollibars Gambit: Duh (for me at least)
Improved Critical: Better chance to wound.
Improved Initiative: Quick on the Draw
Weapon Focus/Specialization (Greater/Mastery/Supremacy: Good Boosts
Driving Attack: Culmination Piercing Move for Higher level Fighter.
Acrobatic Strike: Dodge Roll Hit
Overwhelming Assault/Defensive Sweep: Keep Foes at Bay
Lunging Strike: Flavour
Evasive Reflexes: Move away from dangerous situation rather than plugging forward.
Rapid Assaut: Attacking first deals better damage.
Defensive Strike: Block then Strike
Eyes in the back of your head: No flanking benefit
Hold the Line: AoO against Charging Foe
(That's all I can think of, Right now)
Other Stuff:
Rapier Wounding, Vicious, Warning Rapier
Training Dummied.
Mithral Shirted
Robe of the Iron Mage: +4 Ac (Mage Armor on a piece of cloth)

Any other ideas? Only maybe Warblade instead of Fighter depending on what feats should be taken. This all started with me looking for a decent Rapier focused build, lacking that I left it and carried on with my life, then I went and checked up on SoulV and remembered that I wanted to make a Rapier fighter so I'm back to it, Since I plan to use fighter as base (for the time being at least) I just looked for every feat that would seem useful or flavourful however as a Human Fighter he'd need to be Level 21 to have them all (Vampire gives Combat Reflexes, Dodge and Improved Initiative for free) As a (Human) Vampire Fighter ECL 29 it is possible, but seeing as this is either going to be an optional boss for a 5-15 Campaign, or a build I hope to play in the future, I'd like to find a way to lower it down. First step is by cutting Vamp, but still much to cut, so any thoughts, questions, comments, concerns, ideas, examples of a 3.5 All Books allowed Pre-Vamp Rapier Fighter Raphael?

Swashbuckler/Warblade does an amazing job.

He's a sophistocated sociopath and the very much tainted by evil (perhaps his "vampirism" is a very unique taint?). As long as he has a High DEX/CON/INT, he would make a very worthy adversary

The Glyphstone
2011-10-28, 02:43 PM
There's an Einhander feat in PHB2 that gives bonuses for wielding a weapon in one hand. Can't remember what it does though.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-10-28, 02:50 PM
I don't think there's any way to build Raphael, remembering how cheap he seemed last I played the series (though that was forever ago, so memory may be playing tricks...).

There's an Einhander feat in PHB2 that gives bonuses for wielding a weapon in one hand. Can't remember what it does though.

+2 AC while fighting defensively, +2 tumble to avoid AoOs, feint as a free action with sleight of hand if you full attack the previous round. Seems a bit mediocre.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-28, 03:57 PM
I don't think there's any way to build Raphael, remembering how cheap he seemed last I played the series (though that was forever ago, so memory may be playing tricks...).

+2 AC while fighting defensively, +2 tumble to avoid AoOs, feint as a free action with sleight of hand if you full attack the previous round. Seems a bit mediocre.

I don't want him per se, I'm just going to have a Rapier Fighter named Raphael.

Flickerdart
2011-10-28, 04:34 PM
Raphael used sais, you silly person. :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2011-10-28, 04:39 PM

No, Raphael used a paintbrush, you silly person.:smallbiggrin:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-28, 04:40 PM

No, Raphael used a paintbrush, you silly person.:smallbiggrin:

The OP isn't talking about Raphael, he's talking about Rapahel. :smalltongue:

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-28, 11:28 PM
The OP isn't talking about Raphael, he's talking about Rapahel. :smalltongue:

+1 Sir, I had typed it and then posted and then went "GODDAMMIT" because I have made that exact same typo countless times when typing it, so when it came for me to post it and I noticed it I went ":smallfurious: TO HELL WITH CHANGING IT"