PDA

View Full Version : Skills for Fighters

ShiningStarling
2011-10-28, 02:31 PM
I was curious, and decided to ask the peanut optimizers about it.

What full BAB base class has the best skill list?
Core, Completes, UA, and Bo9S only please.

Thank you for your assistance. :smallsmile:

Big Fau
2011-10-28, 02:35 PM
Thug Fighter, Warblade and Crusader. Knight and Hexblade are also decent, but the Warblade/Crusader have 4+Int and a decent selection.

Coidzor
2011-10-28, 02:40 PM
Wildshape Variant Ranger is pretty good.

ShiningStarling
2011-10-28, 02:51 PM
Thanks so far, but I meant no Bo9S.

dgnslyr
2011-10-28, 03:45 PM
Barbarian gets a respectable 4+Int skill points a level, and rangers get 6+Int, the most skill points of any full BAB class.

ShiningStarling
2011-10-28, 03:50 PM
What about Swashbuckler? How does it compare?

Coidzor
2011-10-28, 04:18 PM
What full BAB base class has the best skill list?
Core, Completes, UA, and Bo9S only please.

Thanks so far, but I meant no Bo9S.

...:smallconfused: Kind of an odd way of phrasing that. Ah well, that's what the edit button is for.

What about Swashbuckler? How does it compare?

Poorly. It's Int+4, so it doesn't get enough skill points to really fulfill its archetypal role of buckling swashes. Even with Daring Outlaw in play, you're probably better off just being a full Rogue.

As far as what's on the skill list, well, it's better than Fighter, probably better than Barbarian, and while I'm AFB, I'd estimate it's slightly under par compared to Tome of Battle classes.

Ranger has the most broad skill list of the full BAB base classes. Wildshape Ranger has the most broad skill list of the full BAB classes and can obviate several of those skills after level 5, so that it can focus on ones it likes.

hex0
2011-10-28, 05:27 PM
Duskblade has ALL Knowledge skills, which is juice for about 75% of PRCs. They also have rarer skills like Sense Motive and Decipher Script.

2+int...but you have a reason to have a high score. :smallwink:

Thurbane
2011-10-28, 06:26 PM
Assuming Human, Ranger, with a dip into Duskblade and the Able Learner feat will have a pretty wide skill list. If you're willing to sacrifice one BAB, Ranger with a one level dip into Factotum or Savant will have 6 skills points/level and all skills as class skills.

Also, there are quite a few ways to add new skills to your class skill list(s): alternative ways to get new class skills (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0)