PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Disguise Check Question

Lord Tyger
2011-10-28, 03:10 PM
So, I'm planning to play a Fetchling Rogue (pending GM approval) in an upcoming campaign, and, at least at the start, I'd like him to keep his race a secret, presumably by disguising himself as a human (since, physically, Fetchlings more or less look like monochrome humans). So, that would be a disguise check, presumably.

Hence, my question(s).

Would any special equipment likely be needed for this disguise? (Do I need to spend money for a disguise kit when I start?)

The DC of this would be opposed by my party's/random strangers perception rolls, with a -2 penalty to me from disguising myself as another race, yes? When would they get those perception checks?

How often would I have to make my check? Relevant since it'll be hard to duck away from my party for 1d3 X 10 minutes all that often.

Would my failing the check let them know that I was hiding my race, or just tell them that I was trying to alter my appearance?

Nero24200
2011-10-28, 03:26 PM
RAW I don't think you need anything in particular.

As for the perception checks they are only made if someone finds you suspicious, as long as you don't draw attention to yourself no checks are made. However observers, by default, are treated as using the Take 10 action on their perception checks so particularly perceptive party members may see through the disguise even without a check.

Though as it stands you have a -2 to the check (though the DM may be kind and grant you the +5 bonus for "minor details only" if the race you mentioned does look close to human, giving you a net bonus of +3) and your charisma modifier + any other modifiers. So it may be worth grabbing a disguise kit since perception is a immensely useful skill in pathfinder and it's likely someone will have ranks in it.

As long as they don't get high enough to beat your disguise check whilst taking 10 (or unless you do something to make them question your race) then you should be fine.