PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Move Actions?

Elric VIII
2011-10-28, 05:04 PM
So, I was just perusing a Mounted Combat handbook and it raised an interesting point: You have move actions to spare when you do mounted stuff.

What are some good things to make use of move actions?

Feats?
Items?
Spells?

Does anyone have any ideas for interesting/useful tactics?

sreservoir
2011-10-28, 05:07 PM
psionic meditation.

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-28, 06:42 PM
Off the top of my head, there are a number of spells that can be directed with a move action. Flaming Sphere and Eyebite are examples, though not particularly impressive ones.

AmberVael
2011-10-28, 06:48 PM
Fearsome Armor enhancement, from Drow of the Underdark. Intimidate (demoralize) as a move action.

Amazing when paired with Imperious Command from the same book. Spammable stunning style effect as a move action. Oh yeah.

Elric VIII
2011-10-28, 07:05 PM
psionic meditation.

Oh, hey, that can generate some nice action advantage.

Eldariel
2011-10-28, 07:09 PM
There's also Order Forged From Chaos-maneuver of White Raven that gives your allies (e.g. your mount) a free Move Action. And the Spur Mount action is a Move Action as well. Of course, if you do ranged full attack or charge (the two most common mounted attacks), you need your fullround for that.

Bakkan
2011-10-29, 02:03 AM
There are some tactical teleportation abilities with a move action cost, off the top of my head I can think of three:

Blink Shirt (Magic of Incarnum) bound to the totem chakra, 10 ft + 10ft/invested essentia, at will
Shadow Stride (Tome of Battle) 5th-level Shadow Hand maneuver, 50 ft, as often as you can refresh maneuvers
Greater Dimension Door (Spell Compendium) 5th-level Sorcerer/Wizard spell, affects multiple creatures, you can teleport all targets 25 ft+5 ft/2 levels as a move action every round, lasts 1 round/2 levels. This is probably the only one that would work with a mounted build because it could teleport your mount as well.

Elric VIII
2011-10-29, 10:50 AM
There's also Order Forged From Chaos-maneuver of White Raven that gives your allies (e.g. your mount) a free Move Action. And the Spur Mount action is a Move Action as well. Of course, if you do ranged full attack or charge (the two most common mounted attacks), you need your fullround for that.

Well, from what I gather, the mounted combat rules are very vague on action costs, but that is the sane interpretation.

On a different note, how do single attacks (Decisive Strike or Battlecast) work with mounted movement? AFAIK, the only restriction is you can only make one attack.

There are some tactical teleportation abilities with a move action cost, off the top of my head I can think of three:

Greater Dimension Door (Spell Compendium) 5th-level Sorcerer/Wizard spell, affects multiple creatures, you can teleport all targets 25 ft+5 ft/2 levels as a move action every round, lasts 1 round/2 levels. This is probably the only one that would work with a mounted build because it could teleport your mount as well.

That's quite good. I was actually asking this for a potential Knight Phantom build,

Andion Isurand
2011-10-29, 02:35 PM
Greater Dimension Door is better used on a familiar, as to use the familiar's move action for the teleporting, given its target is You and touched willing creatures

Eldariel
2011-10-29, 02:49 PM
Well, from what I gather, the mounted combat rules are very vague on action costs, but that is the sane interpretation.

On a different note, how do single attacks (Decisive Strike or Battlecast) work with mounted movement? AFAIK, the only restriction is you can only make one attack.

Your actions basically remain the same. If something takes a full-round on foot, it takes a full-round mounted (e.g. full attack, charge, casting a full-round casting time spell). If something takes a standard action on foot, it takes a standard action mounted. The fuzzy part is, what action everything takes on part of the mount.

Elric VIII
2011-10-29, 06:53 PM
The fuzzy part is, what action everything takes on part of the mount.

Yeah, that's what I meant. For instance, it says you cannot make more than one melee attack (i.e. full attack) because of time constraints (your mount actually getting there). But are things like Decisive Strike full round actions because they take a lot of time or a lot of effort?

It's just a little curiosity of poor rule wording, I guess.

Elfinor
2011-10-30, 02:01 AM
Improved Feint could work.

TroubleBrewing
2011-10-30, 04:52 AM
Improved Feint could work.

Isn't feinting generally used in conjunction with sneak attack or some equivalent?

I'm trying to imagine a sneaky horse...

Rixx
2011-10-30, 05:07 AM
You could be a Halfling riding a sneaky wolf or big cat.

Elfinor
2011-10-30, 06:23 AM
Isn't feinting generally used in conjunction with sneak attack or some equivalent?

I'm trying to imagine a sneaky horse... I looked at this thread a while ago and I knew it was a move action, but it took me a while to suggest it because it sounds so awkward. I double checked the rules for feinting and mounted combat to make sure it was allowed because it just felt... wrong.

It is normally used in combination with Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike, though it can still be potentially useful otherwise (probably not feat-worthy) against any high DEX opponent. The advantage of feint is that you don't have to sneak, it's tricking your opponent to get the Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike in. So you don't need to worry about having a sneaky horse:smallbiggrin:

TroubleBrewing
2011-10-30, 06:45 AM
So you don't need to worry about having a sneaky horse:smallbiggrin:

Alright, that's true. But I imagine it would help to have a shifty horse.