PDA

View Full Version : Readying a swift action, after your standard action

aza9999
2011-10-28, 07:01 PM
With readying, is that your full turn or can you take a standard action, ready a swift action and end your turn?

The specific circumstance i am considering is with spring attack on a scout.

I use spring attack to run at an enemy, attack him, and run another 25 feet away from him.
I have used my move and standard action, but want to ready a swift action that if he moves to attack me on his turn, then i will use sudden leap (allows a jump as a swift action) to jump 10 feet away. This would then place me out of range of your average 30ft moving person.

Is this viable?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-28, 07:26 PM
Unfortunatly, you can't ready a Swift Action by RAW as they did not exist when PH was printed and they get no more mention outside of PH. SRD doesn't change it either and still restricts you to free, move and standard actions for a readied action.

aza9999
2011-10-28, 07:34 PM
i noticed that, but also noticed in the SRD:

Swift Actions

A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. However, you can perform only a single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action. Swift actions usually involve spellcasting or the activation of magic items; many characters (especially those who don't cast spells) never have an opportunity to take a swift action.

So figured it would be covered. Not sure which book introduced swift actions, but it's in the SRD.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-28, 07:43 PM
i noticed that, but also noticed in the SRD:

So figured it would be covered. Not sure which book introduced swift actions, but it's in the SRD.

Ah, how could I have missed that? Oh well. Then I see no reason why you couldn't. Reading an action eats the corresponding action, so you still get to keep your swift after Leap Attack.

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-28, 07:44 PM
Rules Compendium clarified readying. You can ready a standard, move, swift, or free action, but doing so always takes a standard action to ready.

It's not completely clear how the readied swift action interacts with your normal swift action cap. I don't believe it allows you to break it, personally.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-28, 07:59 PM
Rules Compendium clarified readying. You can ready a standard, move, swift, or free action, but doing so always takes a standard action to ready.

It's not completely clear how the readied swift action interacts with your normal swift action cap. I don't believe it allows you to break it, personally.

Readying takes a standard, period? And here I thought readying an action was a useful, if not often used, strategy. :smallannoyed:

aza9999
2011-10-28, 08:34 PM
Readying takes a standard action? Well that throws the whole thing out the window then.

If you ready a move action, have you used both your move and standard actions for the turn? or just the standard action?

If moving as a readied action is a standard action, i would assume you still have your move action for the turn.

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-28, 08:36 PM
If you ready a move action, have you used both your move and standard actions for the turn? or just the standard action?

If moving as a readied action is a standard action, i would assume you still have your move action for the turn.

That would just take your standard action.

Othesemo
2011-10-28, 08:41 PM
Readying takes a standard, period? And here I thought readying an action was a useful, if not often used, strategy. :smallannoyed:

Yeah, that annoys me too. In fact, I've actually houseruled what you described into my game. If you don't use it, then readying actions is viable for the worst possible strategy one is capable of having in the game.

Thurbane
2011-10-28, 09:20 PM
The RC clarified and changed a few key rules...it's a shame it came out so late in 3.5's run, and added so little new material, that so many people don't have it.

If WotC were more philanthropic, it would have been nice to see the key changes the RC introduced (using Wands with swift action spells as a swift action was another) put into an updated SRD. :smallfrown:

Psyren
2011-10-28, 09:32 PM
Some of RC was updated on the SRD, such as Feather Fall becoming an immediate action.

Also, if you want to ready as a swift, quickened Synchronicity :smalltongue:

Elric VIII
2011-10-28, 10:19 PM
Some of RC was updated on the SRD, such as Feather Fall becoming an immediate action.

Also, if you want to ready as a swift, quickened Synchronicity :smalltongue:

Now, Synchronicity specifically states that you ready a standard action. Can you ready the standard action of readying another action type? :smallcool:

Psyren
2011-10-29, 07:42 AM
Now, Synchronicity specifically states that you ready a standard action. Can you ready the standard action of readying another action type? :smallcool:

"You can always take a move action in place of a standard action" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#actionTypes), so yes to that one. I don't think you can get a Swift out of turn though.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just understood what you were saying. Readying is a standard action, so in effect you are readying an action to ready an action... I don't see anything that would prevent that right away. (I also can't see the use for that, but there you go.)

Elric VIII
2011-10-29, 06:55 PM
EDIT: Scratch that, I just understood what you were saying. Readying is a standard action, so in effect you are readying an action to ready an action... I don't see anything that would prevent that right away. (I also can't see the use for that, but there you go.)

Apparently it cannot be used for anything. I thought it was a way to convert Standard to Swift, but you can only take 1 Swift per round, not turn.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-10-29, 08:01 PM
(I also can't see the use for that, but there you go.)

1. Ready an action to ready an action when anything happens.
2. Take readied action to ready an action when something you want to interrupt happens.
3. Readied action triggers and you ready an action to... attack or whatever you want to do, since readied actions go before what triggered them.
4. You just got to take a standard action off turn. Any standard action due to any stimulus you want.

Psyren
2011-10-29, 09:33 PM
1. Ready an action to ready an action when anything happens.
2. Take readied action to ready an action when something you want to interrupt happens.
3. Readied action triggers and you ready an action to... attack or whatever you want to do, since readied actions go before what triggered them.
4. You just got to take a standard action off turn. Any standard action due to any stimulus you want.

Thing is, if you know what it is you want to interrupt (Step 2) and what you want to do (Step 3) then you can just ready that action for that condition and skip all of this. This is ultimately no different from regular readying.

Seffbasilisk
2011-10-29, 09:38 PM
Readying an action takes a standard action.

A swift action happens at any time on your turn.

An immediate action is akin to a swift action, but even on other people's turn.

Elric VIII
2011-10-30, 12:35 AM
Thing is, if you know what it is you want to interrupt (Step 2) and what you want to do (Step 3) then you can just ready that action for that condition and skip all of this. This is ultimately no different from regular readying.

Yes, but readying to ready allows you to essentially get the effect of augmenting it without actually doing so.

Tael
2011-10-30, 09:15 AM

Well, maybe in your games, readied actions are incredibly common in ours. (as in, someone is readying every other turn.)

Also, you do realize how incredibly broken it would be to be able to ready your swift action as a swift action? Or even as a move action? Doing things on other people's turns is damn powerful, it's why Abrupt Jaunt is considered so broken.