PDA

View Full Version : Arrrhghh!!!!

Zeikstraal
2011-10-28, 10:25 PM
I'm going to play in a new adventure Pathfinder rules. A 2 player campaign it will be evil. It will focus a lot more on roleplaying and a lot less on Combat. I just spoke with my DM about my char idea. And I told him I want to play a Bard. I told him my concept.
He was the Chosen one cause of his wishes from a young age, to awaken an ancient dragon for some evil Dragon cult. His village was destroyed by some good guys, he survived. he was found by a Bard who raised him. He is not the kind of Bard that will perform in taverns or dances happy around in combat.
He is more focused an knowledge, and sings to come into a trance and look into his soul.
And at level 6 or something I want him to become a Dragon Disciple.

Now the GM says that a bard has to be an entertainer.
I told him not, and he can be a sage or a gambler, even a leader for the millitary. But he doesnt listen.

Can the playground come up with some more reasons that a Bard does not have to be an entertainer?

Togath
2011-10-29, 12:38 AM
Find a new dm, any class can be anything fluff wise, a knight could be a villan, a wizard a swordsman, a cleric a godlsayer.
And a bard more then any other class(other then maybe factotum) can be just about anything fluff-wise even with just a basic bard build.

Zeikstraal
2011-10-29, 01:22 AM
Thanks, thats what ive been thinking. He is a friend of mine, but if he realy takes the fun away, not letting me play my bard, I will not play.

He also banned; Halflings, Gnomes, Monks, Samurai, Ninja and Gunslinger. :P

Stormageddon
2011-10-29, 01:46 AM
I'm playing a bard that's a captain of a pirate ship. Your DM needs to be more open minded or the game is going to get boring.

Snowbluff
2011-10-29, 01:51 AM
Find a new dm, any class can be anything fluff wise, a knight could be a villan, a wizard a swordsman, a cleric a godlsayer.
And a bard more then any other class(other then maybe factotum) can be just about anything fluff-wise even with just a basic bard build.

This.

Thanks, thats what ive been thinking. He is a friend of mine, but if he realy takes the fun away, not letting me play my bard, I will not play.

He also banned; Halflings, Gnomes, Monks, Samurai, Ninja and Gunslinger. :P

Double that.

Godskook
2011-10-29, 02:50 AM
1."Entertainer" is a *LOOSE* term when applied to bards. Maverick(Mel Gibson) is an example of what I'd suspect is a magic-less bard, even up to the Inspire Courage ability. Actually, he can do a little magic too.

2.Bardic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFOl-QXpLc4)activities (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0AiN8vrn9Y)show up in the movies on characters who aren't 'entertainers'

3.Just cause somebody 'was' an entertainer doesn't mean they 'are' an entertainer.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-29, 08:42 AM
a Bard can't be a sage? Then what is the point of Bardic Knowledge? :smallconfused:
Seriously... a class that gets bonuses to all Knowledge skills as a feature can't be a sage... Your DM is crazy. Friend or no friend, tell him that he's wrong.

Zeikstraal
2011-10-29, 09:40 AM
Yes, i told him he was wrong, but the way he knows the bard, they are entertainers. and he is the DM so he is right...anyway. I'm going to give him my background, and I'm going to describe a full fledged out Bard training. If he doesn't agree with it, I will say: I play Bard or I don't play!

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-29, 09:53 AM
Rename Bard as Sage on the sheet. Do the same with his class features.
If he thinks that a Bard HAS to be an entertainer, then play a Sage. :smallamused:

Psyren
2011-10-29, 10:01 AM
I'm going to play in a new adventure Pathfinder rules. A 2 player campaign it will be evil. It will focus a lot more on roleplaying and a lot less on Combat. I just spoke with my DM about my char idea. And I told him I want to play a Bard. I told him my concept.
He was the Chosen one cause of his wishes from a young age, to awaken an ancient dragon for some evil Dragon cult. His village was destroyed by some good guys, he survived. he was found by a Bard who raised him. He is not the kind of Bard that will perform in taverns or dances happy around in combat.
He is more focused an knowledge, and sings to come into a trance and look into his soul.

Show your DM the Archivist archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archivist) and dump all the singy-dancy stuff.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-29, 10:17 AM
Show your DM the Archivist archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archivist) and dump all the singy-dancy stuff.
That too. Yay for Pathfinder. :smallbiggrin:

TroubleBrewing
2011-10-29, 10:29 AM

This, OR you can take it in the complete opposite direction. Be the ULTIMATE SINGY-DANCY MACHINE.

Seriously. Break into annoying little ditties constantly. Wear bells on all of your shoes, and insist on having a hireling carry your hat cases everywhere you go. Even into dungeons. Anytime anyone says anything about anything, roll a bardic knowledge check about whatever they're talking about, and then make up a song about it. Instead of 5-foot steps, you take flourishy leaps and skips. Cry whenever anything dies. Make up long, obnoxious speeches about the futility of life, and the fleetingness of it all.

For best results, take no Perform skills whatsoever, a race with a Cha hit, and insist on owning a wide variety of musical instruments, all of which you play horrendously. Think "Sir Robin's Minstrels" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Tokuhara
2011-10-29, 10:29 AM
Rename Bard as Sage on the sheet. Do the same with his class features.
If he thinks that a Bard HAS to be an entertainer, then play a Sage. :smallamused:

Didn't D&D have a Sage Bard ACF in UA?

and Grey, that was pure genius. Any way that character concept could be copyrighted?

The Glyphstone
2011-10-29, 10:30 AM
This, OR you can take it in the complete opposite direction. Be the ULTIMATE SINGY-DANCY MACHINE.

Seriously. Break into annoying little ditties constantly. Wear bells on all of your shoes, and insist on having a hireling carry your hat cases everywhere you go. Even into dungeons. Anytime anyone says anything about anything, roll a bardic knowledge check about whatever they're talking about, and then make up a song about it. Instead of 5-foot steps, you take flourishy leaps and skips. Cry whenever anything dies. Make up long, obnoxious speeches about the futility of life, and the fleetingness of it all.

For best results, take no Perform skills whatsoever, a race with a Cha hit, and insist on owning a wide variety of musical instruments, all of which you play horrendously. Think "Sir Robin's Minstrels" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

And insist that this is entertaining. To you.

CTrees
2011-10-29, 10:48 AM

That's what I was going to suggest. Or the Detective, or Archaeologist, etc.

Zeikstraal
2011-10-29, 10:52 AM

THANK YOU!!!!!!
if he realy stays that annoying, this will do the trick.

thanks

Psyren
2011-10-29, 11:02 AM
I hope you realize that suggestion was a joke (or if it wasn't, ill-advised.) Being that passive-aggressive will only create more drama at your table.

If he's opposed to an official paizo APG archetype I'm not sure what will convince him, but it should do everything you want.

Zeikstraal
2011-10-29, 11:44 AM
Yes, I know it is a joke, but I'm temted to do it:P
Well if he thinks Bards must be entertainers, he just might get it:P

Waker
2011-10-29, 11:59 AM
I definitely second the votes for Archivist or Archeologist. I'm actually playing an bard archeologist right now (though OOC my party refers to me as the barkyologist) and I'm having fun. Not having bardic performance does hurt a bit, but all of those tasty rogue abilities do make my scholarly character happy.

big teej
2011-10-29, 02:23 PM

I told him not, and he can be a sage or a gambler, even a leader for the millitary. But he doesnt listen.

Can the playground come up with some more reasons that a Bard does not have to be an entertainer?

:smallconfused:

I'm 100% the idea that classes are in-game constructs..... but I'm afraid I don't follow the guys logic that bard = entertainer.

bards have a history of taking jobs as spys, informants, troubleshooters, etc.

nedz
2011-10-29, 07:36 PM
I'm not going to play in a new adventure Pathfinder rules. A 1 player campaign it will be evil. ...
FTFY

Alternatively just turn up any play your character the way you want to. Its not like you are being disruptive - quite the opposite.

TroubleBrewing
2011-10-29, 09:00 PM
I hope you realize that suggestion was a joke (or if it wasn't, ill-advised.) Being that passive-aggressive will only create more drama at your table.

I was, of course, joking. The archetype of the incompetent bard is hilarious, but not if done passive-aggressively. Then it's obnoxious.

Zeikstraal
2011-10-30, 07:05 AM
Yesterday i spoke to him again and showed him my background. And he didn't see a bard in itXD. I'm now at 5000 words, and he's only 12 by now, so I'm at the middle now (yes, I like to write a whole story for my characters.) so far, he's traveling around with his mentor along the coast for 6 years now. He's reading a lot of books, about dragons, ancient battles, descriptions of city's etc. He listens to story's from his mentor. And likes watching the stars to get into his inner self, or something :smalltongue:.
And he said it was more of a wizard....:smallbiggrin: He hasn't reseurched a single spell but oke:P
But i'm going to play a Bard, altough he discourages it, and tells me that it's gonna get boring. cuase how many players have played a bard moere than 3 sessions. Well that is a player of mine who only used one skill the entire game and realy did nothing else, didn't roleplay, coulkd not contribute in combat. and only rolled the dice to see how good his perform was.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-10-30, 03:25 PM
Have you considered pointing out the numerous fictional badasses trained by circus people?

Failing that say f this and play a Factotum.

Tokuhara
2011-10-30, 07:14 PM
Take his entertainer thought to new hights: Play a Rockstar who talks like Mick Jagger, sing like Brian Johnson, play a guitar like Jimmi Hendrix, and do drugs (in game plz) like the all of The Beatles combined. Play classic rock music off of a Gnomish Storm Lute and sing into a Thunderous Megaphone. Have an insane Charisma and sleep with every bar wench you see. Tell the bards at the taverns they can't carry a tune. Then step on stage and bring the house down. Use your bardic music with a Summon Undead spell to Wake the Dead to headbang to your killer riffs.

SARCASM. Don't actually do this

Leon
2011-10-31, 12:41 PM

Play your bard how you see it - The DM is not playing the character, merely providing the world that the PC is going to be in. If he believes that bards are only entertainers then he is in for a surprise but its no cause to stop with what you have decided on as your choice.

Once you get a Decent amount of points into assorted skills you can be pretty much anything as a bard (or convince any NPC of what you are)

nyarlathotep
2011-10-31, 01:44 PM
As you are playing pathfinder if the DM has that much of a stick up his butt you could just take one of the archtypes that is specifically not an entertainer.

"Bards are entertainers"

"But I'm a not a bard I'm a *insert archtype here*