PDA

View Full Version : PF: What Are...

Man With Dog
2011-10-29, 07:08 AM
What are... in regards to Pathfinder.

The best characters to play in low levels.
I know several people will say 'play what you want' and ''it all depends what style you want to play' but i am looking for reasons too.
((I would love the idea's to include high dps barbarians, powerful clerics etc))

For instance i love Rangers - but with a ranger you kinda have to take 'Point Blank Shot' followed by 'Precise Shot'
Is there alternates to make them jsut as useful at lower levels?

Do damage based fighter have to start off with Power Attack and Cleave etc etc.

I am sure you guys know what i mean but i am looknig for good fun characters to play at lower levels (1-5 i think)

And yes, even include the point blank shot ranger if it is most useful and one of the best fun to play :smallsmile:

Retech
2011-10-29, 07:13 AM
Um, I find that witches are fun to play at low levels, especially a beastbonded one. Give your familliar additional traits feat so they can take killer and another trait, and they become a coup-de-grace monster.

The weakness of arcane casters in their lack of spells at early levels is compensated by the Witch's infinite use hexes (some can't be targeted on the same creature more than once per 24 hours, but if you have more than a few encounters, they come in handy).

Doc Roc
2011-10-29, 07:16 AM
I'm seconding witches. Wizards and sorcerers got a couple of critical low-level (1-5) nerfs, but we're finally starting to see them power-creepin' their way back up in that level range.

Unseenmal
2011-10-29, 07:25 AM
Magus...their ability to swing a weapon in one hand and cast a spell in the other make them very effective damage dealers. They get many of the wonderful spells we have come to know and love (Grease, Web, Glitterdust, Invis, etc)

I haven't played it yet, but I am told the Skirnir archetype is pretty good. They can use a weapon AND shield and still cast Magus spells without the failure chance from the shield.

Krazzman
2011-10-29, 07:28 AM
Ranger as Swift Hitter is highly good on that level.

Man With Dog
2011-10-29, 09:00 AM
Ranger as Swift Hitter is highly good on that level.

How does the swift hitter work exactly?
I would guess we are talking things like rapid shot and multi shot etc?

Psyren
2011-10-29, 09:24 AM
Psywars (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior) were already good at all levels, but got crazy buffed in Pathfinder. Their main problem at low levels (running out of juice after one combat or so) was fixed through Path powers, which can be manifested free of charge simply by maintaining focus. You can't augment them this way, but you wouldn't be augmenting them at low levels anyway so you lose nothing. This means you can get at-wills like: a free bite attack or 2 claws, +4 force AC for an hour, a magic weapon for 10 rounds, an immediate +4 to your grapple CMB etc.