PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Theurge Gish?

Yorae
2011-10-29, 08:19 AM
Is there an effective way to make a gish out of the eldritch theurge (CA)? Can you add the Spellblast essence and Eldritch Glaive shape and full attack with the spell? If so, is there an effective way to do it without blowing oneself up (increased each, perhaps)?

Thanks!

(Edit: If a spellblast glaive does work... can you still quicken it with Quicken SLA? Seems like you should be able to. If so... wow, that could get really awesome.)

Psyren
2011-10-29, 08:38 AM
Spellblast and Eldritch Glaive won't work together - each one requires a full-round action to use. You can't cast the spell on your eldritch blast ahead of time and then shape it into a glaive when you're ready to strike.

Eldritch Claws may work, but I don't know the wording for it as I'm AFB.

Also, as a rule of thumb, theurges are better suited to pure casting than gishing.

Yorae
2011-10-29, 10:39 AM
Spellblast and Eldritch Glaive won't work together - each one requires a full-round action to use. You can't cast the spell on your eldritch blast ahead of time and then shape it into a glaive when you're ready to strike.

Really, it doesn't?

Hm.

Spellblast says that:

It takes a full-round action to cast the spell and fire the eldritch blast. Only an area spell with a casting time no greater than 1 standard action can be placed upon your eldritch blast.

It never places any restriction on how long the blast can take without the essence, just sets the time for the blast AND the spell to a full round.

I know Quicken SLA works with Eldritch Glaive, since it explicitly sets the time required to use it to a swift action without regard to what it was before - it seems that Spellblast works the same way. Am I wrong? Can you show me how?

Psyren
2011-10-29, 10:58 AM
It never places any restriction on how long the blast can take without the essence, just sets the time for the blast AND the spell to a full round.

Obviously EB without Spellblast would be a standard action, as normal. I thought you wanted to use Spellblast and Glaive at the same time? :smallconfused:

I know Quicken SLA works with Eldritch Glaive, since it explicitly sets the time required to use it to a swift action without regard to what it was before - it seems that Spellblast works the same way. Am I wrong? Can you show me how?

Quicken SLA will work with Spellblast. The problem is that Spellblast modifies your EB from level 1 (as per the CArc errata) to the spell's level, minimum 4th. This means that while you can quicken it, you can't do this before level 16 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility) - and that is only for spells 4th and lower. Higher spells would require an even higher level from you, to a maximum of 6th.

Quickening it this way would let you Glaive-Blast 3x day, and take a full-round action to pull off the combo each time.

Yorae
2011-10-29, 11:26 AM
Obviously EB without Spellblast would be a standard action, as normal. I thought you wanted to use Spellblast and Glaive at the same time?
Obviously EB without Spellblast would be a standard action, as normal. I thought you wanted to use Spellblast and Glaive at the same time? :smallconfused:

Right - what I meant was that Spellblast doesn't care that the blast already takes a full round because of eldritch glaive when you are applying the essence.

So the full round action for eldritch glaive and the full round action for spellblast would be two separate actions? (So you'd quicken one of them and use a full-round for the other to use spellblast glaive? How does that work? Wouldn't that actually be firing TWO blasts? One spellblast with no shape and one glaive with no essence?) I thought they referred to the same action. Both say it takes a full round action to use the blast.