PDA

View Full Version : Making a Squidly Druid

Chained Birds
2011-10-29, 12:28 PM
I've been thinking of making a cultist druid who believes that a squidly invasion will come across the land and take vengeance on all who've treated the oceans with little-to-no respect. He believes his deity, the great Ika Musume, will appear before him and lead a mighty legion of squidians and their squidly followers to claim the land and sky in the name of the Squidly Invasion...Whether this event will ever happen or not, the druid will continue attempting to gain followers and convert all non-believes so they might be saved from the wrath of the Great Ika!

Fluff:
He is a druid devoted to the oceans of the world and respects their everpresent powers even in areas like deserts and barren wastelands.
He wears his companion (A squid) over his head as a symbol of his devotion to his deity. He also fashions fairly adorable squid hats for children (%80 of his followers) and women (usually the mothers of said children) to wear as symbols of their faith.
Once per year, he creates a bountiful feast of shrimp to celebrate the Day of the Squid with all his followers. This date seems to be random at times, as the date is given to him through speaking with his deity via meditation and dream. Ika is... an indecisive and somewhat airheaded deity.
He has a deepseeded hatred towards Killer Whales and other famous squid killers.

Crunch:
Only thing I've got is druid with a squid animal companion.
Squidian Race!
-- Feats --
1st/ Aberration Blood
3rd/ Extended Reach (tentacle)
6th/ Natural Spell
9th/ Aberration Wildshape
12th/ Exalted Wildshape
15th/
18th/

Need Help:
1st/ I need a permanent way for my animal companion to stay on land.
2nd/ Ocean themed spells/feats/items/etc. recomendations are very appreciated.
3rd/ Any good Prestiges/Variants/ACFs that can make this character good while remaining true to his fluff?

Anything else will be greatly appreciated, and I thank you all in advance.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-29, 12:38 PM
Well, as for letting you companion stay on land: There's the air breathing spell. Extend it (either through the extend spell feat, or a rod of extend) and you should only need a couple of castings per day to keep it breathing air.

As for Ocean themed spells: Look in stormwrack. Also, Kelpstrand from spell compendium.

Inferno
2011-10-29, 12:47 PM
Wild Shape into a water elemental and have the squid live in you?
Buy a wagon, some horses and a big tank of water for the squid to live in?

OracleofWuffing
2011-10-29, 12:51 PM
Buy a wagon, some horses and a big tank of water for the squid to live in?

I remember discussing something like this ages ago (http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2866/octotank.png). I believe I also thought, at the time, that the Ink Cloud continued to function in this situation, as, oddly enough, it doesn't appear to be limited to water environments only.

dgnslyr
2011-10-29, 01:03 PM
My first guess would be to look at Stormwrack, and lo and behold, a Wavekeeper PrC that seems to be aimed at aquatic-themed druids. 9/10 druid casting and companion progression, so apart from its minor and not entirely impressive goodies, it doesn't seem much better than straight druid, sadly.

I think there's an item called Talisman of Adaptation from somewhere that gives an aquatic creature a cheap, temporary way of staying out of water.

Something about this thread reminds me of another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163265)from a while ago. There are probably some good ideas in there.

Diefje
2011-10-29, 02:10 PM
Amphibious template (Stormwrack) is for humanoid landdwellers, but it's +0 LA, so I'm sure you could work out something similar for your octopus.

Darrin
2011-10-29, 03:15 PM
I think there's an item called Talisman of Adaptation from somewhere that gives an aquatic creature a cheap, temporary way of staying out of water.

Dragon #306. 325 GP, allows an aquatic creature to survive out of water for 1 week.

Save up for some armor with the Gilled property, and yes it does appear in Stormwrack (7500 GP), the version in MIC is cheaper (6000 GP). If armor doesn't work for a squid, then Bracers of Armor might work (he's got four pairs of arms). There's also a Harness of Armor (torso slot) in... Lost Empires of Faerun, I think.

Kaje
2011-10-29, 03:42 PM
Adapt alienist so that it affects your animal companion and summon nature's ally rather than familiar and summon monster.

GnomeGninjas
2011-10-29, 05:24 PM
Play an anthropomorphic squid.

kardar233
2011-10-29, 05:32 PM
Give it a Fly speed.

No kidding, check it out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_Squid).

nedz
2011-10-29, 05:36 PM
Buckets are cheap.
A jar is more stylish, but can break.
These will be your only real option at 1st level - and could be quite funny.

Chained Birds
2011-10-30, 12:38 AM
Dragon #306. 325 GP, allows an aquatic creature to survive out of water for 1 week.

Save up for some armor with the Gilled property, and yes it does appear in Stormwrack (7500 GP), the version in MIC is cheaper (6000 GP). If armor doesn't work for a squid, then Bracers of Armor might work (he's got four pairs of arms). There's also a Harness of Armor (torso slot) in... Lost Empires of Faerun, I think.

Would Barding work? And is the 1 week item rechargable or a 1 time deal?

Any squid-like spells that can be used on land? Tentacly spells too.

Oh, forgot about Stormwrack. And that prestige sounds like a waste unfortunately.

llamamushroom
2011-10-30, 12:57 AM
I'd just re-fluff spells, rather than looking for specifics. For instance, entangle could be the sudden springing forth of tentacles instead of plants (which would have some crunch effects, but I'm sure you can work those out easily enough).

Chained Birds
2011-10-30, 01:57 AM
I'd just re-fluff spells, rather than looking for specifics. For instance, entangle could be the sudden springing forth of tentacles instead of plants (which would have some crunch effects, but I'm sure you can work those out easily enough).

True. At worst, I could homebrew some squidly spells like "Squidissile."
- A lvl 2 ranged touch spell that deals 1d10/3lvls (Max 5d10) bludeoning damage including an entangling condition (1round/lvl duration) upon a failed fort save.

RedWarrior0
2011-10-30, 01:48 PM
"Orb of Tentacles" perhaps?

Also, get Black Tentacles as a Druid spell. Because.

Doc Roc
2011-10-30, 01:58 PM
My first guess would be to look at Stormwrack, and lo and behold, a Wavekeeper PrC that seems to be aimed at aquatic-themed druids. 9/10 druid casting and companion progression, so apart from its minor and not entirely impressive goodies, it doesn't seem much better than straight druid, sadly.

Something about this thread reminds me of another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163265)from a while ago. There are probably some good ideas in there.

You do realize that "not much better than druid" is like saying not much hotter than the sun? Look, my impulse here would be to focus on the various feats that augment your ability to wildshape and the set of creatures you can climb into. In particular, I'm fond of Aberrant Wildshape, which surely will offer something vaguely squid shaped.

Or you could be a were-squid.

stainboy
2011-10-30, 02:25 PM

That's not really a thing, is it?

NNescio
2011-10-30, 03:09 PM
Just be careful of female Swordsages and the Mad Artificer Trio (or Quartet). And try to avoid taking leadership lest you gain an overly-clingy cohort. :smallwink:

suhkkaet
2011-10-30, 03:50 PM

Or failing that, figure out a way to transform Bearlord into Squidlord. ;)

Oh also Alienist. I had a friend play an alienist who walked around with a, eh, slimey wormy-thing on his head.

That's not really a thing, is it?

Of course there is. This is D&D.

Chained Birds
2011-10-30, 06:18 PM
Just be careful of female Swordsages and the Mad Artificer Trio (or Quartet). And try to avoid taking leadership lest you gain an overly-clingy cohort. :smallwink:

Yes, I must defeat all female swordsages before the great Ika appears. They are 1 of many natural enemies to squidians.

The aberrant wildshape maybe quite useful. Can I use it to shape into any aberration?
And what might the stats be for a were-squid's hybrid form?

+4str
2 natural tentacle slam attacks (1d8 medium sized) with 15ft reach
Improved Grab + Constrict (1d6)
20ft swim speed
Ink Shot (ex) ability: Standard Action - 30ft ranged touch = blinds target with tasty squid ink for 1round.

Drazik
2011-10-30, 06:31 PM
first off, this thread is epic. secondly, an undead squid companion wouldn't have to breath at all. (i don't know if your DM would allow undead companions, but it's an idea)

Doc Roc
2011-10-30, 06:55 PM
Awakened Necropolitan Squid.

The future has arrived. In exchange for my services, I demand that you read Legend.

Chained Birds
2011-10-30, 10:03 PM
Race: Squidian (LA+0)
- -2 Intelligence
- Medium sized (30ft movement speed)
- 20ft swim speed
- x2 Tentacle Slam natural weapons (1d4 10ft reach)
- Squid Ink (ex): As a standard action, a squidian can launch a spray of ink once every 1d4 rounds at a single target within 30ft. This is a ranged touch attack that Blinds the target for 1d4 rounds. The target may take a standard action to remove the ink ending the Blind condition.
- +8 racial bonus to swim checks. She may also take 10 on swim checks even under stress.
- Favored Class: Druid

So, how does this race look?

Diefje
2011-10-30, 10:15 PM
I really really REALLY like the stat modifier

-2 int, because you're just silly

Tokuhara
2011-10-30, 10:34 PM
So your race essentially is The Infernal Spawn of The Infernal Spawn of The Infernal Spawn of Cthulu (aka This: http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/323/8/a/baby_cthulhu_by_tonedawg-d335rui.jpg)

I say work with your GM to have This as your companion (maybe a homebrew feat?)http://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/config/app/images/Neothelid.jpg

Diefje
2011-10-30, 10:46 PM
Were-squid is only like +4str +6dex, +5 natural armor, DR/silver, swimspeed with Jet (it's a withdraw sprint type thing), ink cloud, Arms attack that does no dmg but gets Imp Grab and +4 racial grapples, and a weak bite, for 3RHD and 2 or 3 LA

Now if we're going to Giant Octopus we're getting +10str +4dex and 8 tentacles with 20ft reach, damage, imp grab, and constrict. For 8 RHD of course

If we had a large base creature you could go Giant Squid for +16str +6dex +2con, 10 tentacles with 30ft reach and all the goodies. 12 RHD

Doc Roc
2011-10-30, 10:56 PM
It's not clear that Jet is for swimming only. Certainly that was the intent..

Chained Birds
2011-10-31, 12:20 AM
If I gave the race Improved Grab (ex) with their Tentacle Slams and a +2 Racial Bonus on Grapple checks, would that increase its LA to +1?

Prime32
2011-10-31, 07:50 AM
A link for when BG is back up (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11319), de geso.

Chained Birds
2011-10-31, 09:34 PM
I'm bringing my race idea to the hombrew section for expert advice. Hope it goes well.