PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Magus and Oracle Feat selection?

Krazzman
2011-10-29, 12:36 PM
Hello again fellow playgrounders.

We met a little problem, we play Casters for the first time.

And now my Girlfriend and I are wondering, which feats we should take.

I took Toughness (+3 HP + 1/level beyond 3rd) and Improved Initiative since my Dex is quite low (Stat array: 19, 12, 15, 15, 10, 7).

I wonder which feats and Arcana I should take next...

Same goes for my girlfriend that choose to be a Oracle of Flame. (Stat array: 7, 13, 15, 14, 13, 19) With the Clouded Vision curse. She got no idea what to take and I for myself never really played a caster to determine good choices.

We would really appreciate your help. (if it can be no total optimisation and shenanigans... since this would be quite...stopped by our dm)

We start at level 2 (I already started with 5 Gold, Clothing, a Scimitar and a Leather Armor and must say despite its look it is really a good planned campaign).

deuxhero
2011-10-29, 12:48 PM
Toughness, even PF toughness, isn't that good. Remember it is a 2000 GP item to replicate.

II is a good choice for most characters, but VERY good for casters who can shut down foes if they win initiative.

W3bDragon
2011-10-29, 01:24 PM
For the oracle, consider picking up Extra Revelation to get access to multiple useful revelations early on.

Krazzman
2011-10-29, 04:48 PM
Toughness, even PF toughness, isn't that good. Remember it is a 2000 GP item to replicate.

II is a good choice for most characters, but VERY good for casters who can shut down foes if they win initiative.

Ok, but what should I take instead of it, since our party consists out of a Rogue, a Dwarf Barb, a Swifthitter Ranger, me and the oracle I will be in melee most of the time and most likely getting hit oftern (AC 13...)

For the oracle, consider picking up Extra Revelation to get access to multiple useful revelations early on.

Ok, sounds cool, but there is still a level 1 feat open and one for the probably upcoming 3rd level. Her spells so far are Cure Light Wounds and Sun Metal + Burning Hands.

Hope you can help me.

Blisstake
2011-10-29, 04:57 PM

I don't think that's the best way to go about thinking of it. I assume you're talking about a +2 con item, which would give you hp equal to Toughness. However, it does take up a magic item slot, is an enhancement bonus (Toughness is untyped), and gets more expensive the more you want (price goes from 4,000 to 16,000 to 36,000). Toughness even stacks with it, so it's not like you lose the benefit as soon as you buy the con belt. I think a better comparison would be the Manual of Health which gives +2 inherent constitution without taking up a slot, costing 55,000gp. And even then, inherent bonuses don't stack.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but it's really not that bad of a feat. Not the most amazing thing ever, but a magus would definitely have room for it in their feat selection.

Doorhandle
2011-10-29, 05:31 PM
Scimitar, improved Crit.

All a Magus would want, As it allows them to do double-damge with the shocking-grasp spellstrike.

ryzouken
2011-10-29, 05:38 PM
If going the scimitar route, Dervish Dance isn't terrible, as it obviates the need for Str in general.

Otherwise, I recall grabbing the Dimensional Dervish line of feats in late game. Early game was Eschew Materials, Power Attack at 3, Furious Focus at 5. Lets you power attack with no penalty when you spellstrike. Extra Arcana when necessary to pick up extra spells through spell blending. Extra Arcane Pool twice to offset the pool reduction from Bladebound Magus archetype, if you go that route.

That's my rough build. I'll also note I took Skill Focus Perception at 1, bumping the feat chain down once (taking Power Attack at 5 alongside Furious Focus as the bonus feat) but that's due to characterization, not optimization.

Curious
2011-10-29, 05:51 PM
Right, here's my little list of tricks and nice things to have as a Magus. Happy gaming.

Grab Weapon Finesse + Dervish Dance. You now use Dex to hit and damage.

Grab Spell Perfection (Feat) and Magical Lineage (Trait), both on Shocking Grasp. Get the Intensified spell metamagic and apply it to Shocking Grasp. Intensify only increases spell level by 1, which is negated by Spell Perfection. Magical Lineage, on the other hand, straight drops the spell level by 1. You now have Intensified Shocking Grasp as a 0-level spell, which means you can use it an infinite number of times.
(Note: this is not exclusive to Intensify, you could have quickened or empowered shocking grasp, depending on your particular tastes)

At 5th level, grab the Experimental Spellcaster feat (found in the Words of Power section of the SRD) and pick Accelerate as your Effect word chosen. Grab Persistant metamagic, and apply it to Accelerate. You now have a permanent extra move action, allowing you to move and full attack.

Krazzman
2011-10-29, 06:07 PM
Ok, I see some problems between what I did and what you suggest.

I'm playing a Strenght based Build and traits are allowed... so the 0-level-S.Grasp won't work.

Additionally I wanted to skip the thing about bladebound since I think my Sword would take me over pretty quickly... or would you mind explaining it to me how the sword would function? AND how I would get it to be a Scimitar (just like that weapon).

Now I hope you can help me. (3rd Level being Power Attack and Furious Focus afterwards?) But what about the Oracle?

Paul H
2011-10-29, 09:06 PM
Hi

Since Magus & Oracle can fulfill so many different role, we need to know what you expect from them before we can answer.

How did you come by those stats? Do they include racial bonuses? If so, which race?

We also need to know if you're going Bladebound. (Magus Archetype).

Just asking because a dex-based Human Magus (Str 12 Dex 16 Con 1 Int 18 Wis 10 Cha 7) would take:

1) Wpn Finesse & Toughness
3) Dervish Dance (adds dex, not str to damage roll) [Gain Balack Blade from archetype - +1 wpn]
5) Dodge. (Wpn Focus as bonus feat)[Black Blade now +2 Wpn]
6) Magus Arcana: Pool Strike
7) Arcane Strike
9) Extra Arcane Pool [Black Blade +3 wpn] Magus Arcana: Arcane Accuracy.
10) (Bonus Feat: Wpn Spec)

By now You're getting two attacks/rnd with a +3 Scimitar. Wpn Focus/Wpn Spec plus Dervish Dance adds dex mod to damage. (You did cast Cat's Grace)? You can overcome practically any DR (Cold Iron, Silver, Magic, Adamantine, Alignment based) due to your effective enhancement bonus. You can aslo cast a spell in the same round.

With stats you quote I'd go:
Str 12 Dex 15 Con 15 Int 19 Wis 10 Cha 7
Boost your Dex at 4th, then put all extra level stat boosts into Int.

Thanks
Paul H

gourdcaptain
2011-10-29, 09:46 PM
Just to ask since this is a Magus related thread and I'm thinking about playing a Kobold (don't ask) Magus with the Bladebound and Kensai archetypes, what's the opinion on Kensai? (I was planning on Dervish'ing a Scimitar.)

Blisstake
2011-10-29, 09:52 PM
Right, here's my little list of tricks and nice things to have as a Magus. Happy gaming.

Grab Weapon Finesse + Dervish Dance. You now use Dex to hit and damage.

Grab Spell Perfection (Feat) and Magical Lineage (Trait), both on Shocking Grasp. Get the Intensified spell metamagic and apply it to Shocking Grasp. Intensify only increases spell level by 1, which is negated by Spell Perfection. Magical Lineage, on the other hand, straight drops the spell level by 1. You now have Intensified Shocking Grasp as a 0-level spell, which means you can use it an infinite number of times.
(Note: this is not exclusive to Intensify, you could have quickened or empowered shocking grasp, depending on your particular tastes)

At 5th level, grab the Experimental Spellcaster feat (found in the Words of Power section of the SRD) and pick Accelerate as your Effect word chosen. Grab Persistant metamagic, and apply it to Accelerate. You now have a permanent extra move action, allowing you to move and full attack.

Eh... I doubt most DMs would allow you to get away with Spell Pefection/Magical Lineage in order to get a 1st level spell to become a cantrip. Many don't play with traits anyway, and always keep in mind that Spell Perfection requires someone to be, at the very least, 15th level.

The second just plain doesn't work for two reasons. The first is that persistent spell just makes it so that your spells need to be saved against twice, not increasing the duration to permanent. The second reason is that Accelerate specifically says it doesn't work with full round actions (so you couldn't do a full attack and move).

Curious
2011-10-29, 10:02 PM
The second just plain doesn't work for two reasons.

Actually, yes it does, for two reasons:

1. I'm talking about the 3.5 Persistent spell, not the PF one.

2. Accelerate states that the move action cannot be used 'during a full-round action', not that it can't be used in conjunction with a full-round action.

Blisstake
2011-10-30, 12:36 AM
Actually, yes it does, for two reasons:

1. I'm talking about the 3.5 Persistent spell, not the PF one.

2. Accelerate states that the move action cannot be used 'during a full-round action', not that it can't be used in conjunction with a full-round action.

Still no, sorry.

1. Unless stated otherwise, assume no 3.5.

2. Full-round actions take your entire turn, regardless of how many actions you take, and the rules explicitly state that you cannot combine move actions with them. Accelerate says the move action cannot be used "during a full-round action." Since the full-round action is your entire turn, if you did still get that extra move action, by default it would be during it. See here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Full-Round-Actions) for the description of full-round actions (which includes a full-attack).

Feel free to put this in the Q&A or give it its own thread if you don't believe me.

Curious
2011-10-30, 12:44 AM
Still no, sorry.

1. Unless stated otherwise, assume no 3.5.

2. Full-round actions take your entire turn, regardless of how many actions you take, and the rules explicitly state that you cannot combine move actions with them. Accelerate says the move action cannot be used "during a full-round action." Since the full-round action is your entire turn, if you did still get that extra move action, by default it would be during it. See here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Full-Round-Actions) for the description of full-round actions (which includes a full-attack).

Feel free to put this in the Q&A or give it its own thread if you don't believe me.

1. Hm? Did the OP state so?

2. If full-round actions took up every action in your turn, swift-action movement such as Hustle would not work, when they clearly do. Hence, I assume full-round actions actually just take a standard and move action.

Blisstake
2011-10-30, 12:54 AM
1. Hm? Did the OP state so?

2. If full-round actions took up every action in your turn, swift-action movement such as Hustle would not work, when they clearly do. Hence, I assume full-round actions actually just take a standard and move action.

1. No, so assume no 3.5. 95% of the time a [PF] thread doesn't mention 3.5, then the OP does not want it. Usually if you're dealing with both 3.5 and PF, the thread will be labelled [3.P]. There should probably be a sticky establishing some sort of notation, which would make this much easier.

Regardless, if you're in a PF thread and a feat exists in both 3.5 and PF, you should probably specify which one you're talking about.

2. Not true. Full-round actions allow for free actions (which essentially can be performed at any point in your turn, and swift actions are treated as free actions in terms of usage (only difference being you get one swift action/round). It's a common misconception that they take up your move and standard action, which would be similar to 4th edition's system.

Curious
2011-10-30, 12:57 AM
1. No, so assume no 3.5. 95% of the time a [PF] thread doesn't mention 3.5, then the OP does not want it. Usually if you're dealing with both 3.5 and PF, the thread will be labelled [3.P]. There should probably be a sticky establishing some sort of notation, which would make this much easier.

Regardless, if you're in a PF thread and a feat exists in both 3.5 and PF, you should probably specify which one you're talking about.

2. Not true. Full-round actions allow for free actions (which essentially can be performed at any point in your turn, and swift actions are treated as free actions in terms of usage (only difference being you get one swift action/round). It's a common misconception that they take up your move and standard action, which would be similar to 4th edition's system.

1. Alright then.

2. Nice try, but the power is only activated as a swift action, the actual movement is accomplished by the move action granted to you by the power. It even specifically states in the powers description that in can be used in conjunction with a full attack.

Blisstake
2011-10-30, 01:08 AM
Okay, let me re-organize

1. Full Round Actions (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Full-Round-Actions) (including full-attacks) cannot be coupled with move actions. Period.

2. That restriction does not apply to swift actions, which is why you are allowed to combine those.

3. The description of Accelerate does not state that you can use the move action with a full-attack, but that you can instead replace it for an additional attack if that is what you decide to do.

Curious
2011-10-30, 01:14 AM
Okay, let me re-organize

1. Full Round Actions (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Full-Round-Actions) (including full-attacks) cannot be coupled with move actions. Period.

2. That restriction does not apply to swift actions, which is why you are allowed to combine those.

3. The description of Accelerate does not state that you can use the move action with a full-attack, but that you can instead replace it for an additional attack if that is what you decide to do.

1. Incorrect.

2. Which is nice, as that allows you to trade that swift action for another move action, as I stated earlier.

3. I'm not talking about Accelerate, I'm talking about Hustle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/h/hustle), which clearly states you can combine a move action with a full attack. And don't think that that's the only example of using extra actions while using a full attack. A Factotum can do it with Cunning Surge, Marshals can grant extra move actions, etc.

W3bDragon
2011-10-30, 03:34 AM
Ok, sounds cool, but there is still a level 1 feat open and one for the probably upcoming 3rd level. Her spells so far are Cure Light Wounds and Sun Metal + Burning Hands.

Hope you can help me.

Useful low level spells for the oracle include:

1st:
Bless (Your first party buff, which you can keep using for a long time)
Divine Favor (I'd only pick this up at 6th level)
Shield of Faith (Offers the same AC bonus as protection from evil, but works all the time unlike prot from evil which works against evil only.)
Astute Fighting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/rite-publishing---3rd-party-spells/a/astute-fighting) (your strongest buff if the target's BAB is 4 or 5, since it grants an extra attack)
Second Chance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/rite-publishing---3rd-party-spells/s/second-chance) (A catch-all low level spell to grant a new save against ongoing effects)
Remove Fear (Self explanatory, very useful if the party has no source of it)

2nd:
Bull’s Strength (The biggest buff you'll get early on, stays strong throughout the game)
Bear’s Endurance (The hp boost it gives at low levels is comparable to a cure light wounds, so you can use it as a heal in a pinch)
Protection from Evil, Communal (When you need prot from evil, you usually need it for everyone, save a slot on magic circle and use this, recast as needed)
Silence (caster killer, use with care)
Restoration, Lesser (very useful if this is the only source of ability damage healing for the party)

Note that some of these spells are 3rd party, but all are on the pfsrd.

As for feats, it depends what you want to do with the oracle. If you're gonna be throwing around a lot of fire spells, maybe you should look at the Flaring Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/flaring-spell-metamagic) metamagic feat, so you can throw a debuff along with your blasting.

Krazzman
2011-10-30, 04:47 AM
Ok, first I should mention we should stay to core pathfinder (Meaning: APG, UC, UM and Core Rulebook).

I for myself want to be a Gish with focus on Strenght. (Since Dervish Dance is third party and therefore I want to stay away from this.)
Our Stats were Generated by PB 25, I can't change my Ability Scores anymore but my GF can. Additionally I can change Toughness if it has to be, but I like to be a bit more tough...(no pun intended). I run around with 25 HP, which is nice.

I would use blackblade if I could choose a Scimitar instead of a Rapier/Swordcane... Kensai, I must say for that it's too late, since it's in play. Blackblade can be changed (since nothing changes atm).

My GF wants from her Oracle to refer from melee battle and burn her enemy to smithering ashes. She choose Burning Hands and Fire Breath for now but still haven't chosen any feat. Her spells so far are Cure Light Wounds and Sun Metal. She doesn't want to be Healbot/Buffer more a Blaster + semi-support. Her Mystery is Flames.

Hope you can help us further. And yes no 3.5, no 3rd Party (if it has to be) and no traits.

gourdcaptain
2011-10-30, 10:16 AM
I for myself want to be a Gish with focus on Strenght. (Since Dervish Dance is third party and therefore I want to stay away from this.)

Dervish Dance is first party - it's just from their campaign setting book series, I think.

Krazzman
2011-10-30, 12:29 PM
Again, I am fixed on that Array. Strength of 19, Intelligence of 15.

My selection is now like this:
Bladebonded Magus
1) Improved Ini
1) Toghness
3) Power Attack
5) Furious Focus
5) Extra Pool
7) Extra Arcana/ Intensify Spell (Which one should I prefer? Are other Metamagic Feats better/also favourable?)

Spells: Color Spray, Grease, Shocking Grasp, Shield, Frostbite, Feather Fall, Vanish.

But I would like to get more advice for the Flame Oracle.

She is atm with:
1) Extra Revelation: Molten Skin
1) Merciful Spell
3) ???
5) ???
7) ???

Spells: Burning Hands, Cure Light Wounds, Shield of Faith.

Krazzman
2011-10-30, 06:15 PM
Thinking about it for the Oracle... is Combat Casting a feat I should take? Since I Attack and Cast in a Round, shouldn't I be sure to deliver that spell? Or is this "obsolete"?

Hope you can help.

Curious
2011-10-30, 06:37 PM
The Oracle should make sure to grab Glorious Heat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/glorious-heat) and use it in conjunction with the Spark orison. Infinite out-of-combat healing.

Paul H
2011-10-30, 08:31 PM
Hi

Not sure if it's already been said, but the Spell Perfecttion feat has a series of prereqs, and can't be taken until 15th level (15 ranks in a skill).

Thanks
Paul H
Edit: Gnomes have an Alternate Racial Trait called Pyromaniac (APG). Aptly named, and adds +1 CL to abilities & CL for fire spells, (And gains produce Flame as SLA 1/day) amongst other things

Krazzman
2011-10-31, 04:44 AM
I thought about Flaring, Quicken and Intensified Spell. Spell Perfection on Shocking Grasp.

W3bDragon
2011-10-31, 04:55 AM
I thought about Flaring, Quicken and Intensified Spell. Spell Perfection on Shocking Grasp.

Flaring would be more useful for aoe spells of a bit higher level for better duration and number of targets. You should consider Echoing spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/echoing-spell-metamagic) instead. If you'll be spamming shocking grasp a lot, echoing spell will give you more mileage out of it. Also, if Shocking Grasp is going to be your signature spell, you might want to look at Elemental Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/elemental-spell-metamagic), so you can change the damage to acid or something if the target is immune to lightning.

Dyllan
2011-10-31, 06:55 AM
The Oracle should make sure to grab Glorious Heat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/glorious-heat) and use it in conjunction with the Spark orison. Infinite out-of-combat healing.

Is it just me, or does this combo fly in the face of Paizo's intent when they changed cure minor wounds to stabilize?

Obviously, a powerful trick, but I can't say I'm happy to see it exists.

Andreaz
2011-10-31, 09:09 AM
Okay, let me re-organize

Mr Bliss, you may be taking that rule a little too hard. When it says It can't be combined with a full-round, it means you can't use it while the full-round action proceeds. Note that a full-round action consumes both your move and standard action, but it doesn't "end" your turn, nor must it be the first thing you do in your turn.
So if for some reason you have 2 move actions and a standard action, you can take a move action and a full round action, but each must be done only when the other is over (like move -> full or full -> move).

Hustle, for example, follows that rule. Even though you can "gain" the move action in the middle of a full attack, you can't use it until the full attack is over.

That said, my recommendation for magus is the following:
1) Hexes are pretty. I'm a fan of evil eye.
2) Familiars aren't bad either, as they will work more or less like a familiar used to work for duskblades in 3.5
2) Pick a "path", STR or DEX. STR: More damage output early on (any round you can't full attack will get a better damage bonus by wielding the scimitar in two hands), as well as a somewhat more damage input. You can leave dex at 12 for the rest of your life and get heavy armor later on. DEX: consumes 2 feats(both can't be bought at level 1) in exchange to dump STR, most armors won't work neatly, but has a better offense-defense balance early on.
At high levels the difference is in style and itemization, as the overall power is similar on both ends for each style. Wordcasting shenanigans helps DEX's case.

stack
2011-10-31, 09:44 AM
Make sure you can make your defensive casting checks as a magus. For them, combat casting can actually be worthwhile, especially at mid/low levels. you will be channeling spells, so you will be casting defensively (DC 15+ spell level x 2, so 17 for a level 1 spell (shocking grasp)). uncanny concentration and the trait focused concentration also help, if you want to not even have to roll after a few levels.

Obviously these become less needed as your INT and level increase, but they can be life savers early. Unless you use a whip or just never channel unless you can 5 ft step to get close (IE, never move then channel).

gourdcaptain
2011-10-31, 12:36 PM
DEX: consumes 2 feats(both can't be bought at level

Actually, Weapon Finesse in PF has no prereqs, so you can take it at LV 1.

Andreaz
2011-10-31, 01:09 PM
Actually, Weapon Finesse in PF has no prereqs, so you can take it at LV 1.

Holy.... I never saw that.
Well, DD requires 2 ranks in dancing, so it's a level 3+ build instead of potentially 5+

magwaaf
2011-10-31, 01:36 PM
honestly i'd just take the weapon feats to start out, that way you can hit with spellstrike more often. i have a level 1 magus built in case my current character dies. i gave him feats to make sure he hits as often as possible and for 2 weapons.

weapon focus: rapier
weapon finesse
exotic weapon prof: whip

rapier - self explanatory up close melee...
whips - spell strike stupidity

whips are ridiculous in pathfinder especially as a magus, i dont have the book with me right now but there's the whole list of trip/grapple whip feats and then some things to you can be indiana jones, and unless your dm's an *expletive deleted* then you should be able to spellstrike on a grapple. remember that you take the feats so a whip threatens that 15 foot reach it has and even tho the whip wont deal damage to almost all armor the spellstrike still hits.

later down the line i'll be looking at ways to improve my armor use and improved critical and because my dm loves fun, keen and imp crit stack lol

CTrees
2011-10-31, 02:37 PM
The whip feats are fun, especially with Magus, but the problem is, there are several of them. That's a lot of resources to invest, even if you do get a few more feats in PF. Same problem a lot of the really cool families of feats fall into in PF, unfortunately.

magwaaf
2011-11-01, 12:11 PM
dude, it's still worth it. you are now hitting with 15 foot touch attacks and you take improved trip and the whip grapple feats and you become so useful to your party it's fantastic.

Krazzman
2011-11-01, 01:21 PM
it's fantastic.

Except for my Character concept. Nor that of the Oracle. (I believe that it is fantastic, but just not that what I am seeking.)

She changed her mind and switched a bit on her stats and revelations:

Str: 14
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 12
Cha: 16

Revelations: Molten Skin, Touch of Flame (Extra Revelation).

Her feats will be now:
H:Extra Revelation
1: Merciful Spell
3: Combat Casting
5: Glorious Heat
... next Feats would again need help/advice.

And for myself:
I might put Combat Casting as 5th level feat instead of a metamagic feat now. But thanks for the Advice...but I like to stay as a scimitar wielding gish.

Hope you can give further advice.

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 01:26 PM
I haven't really bothered reading, so forgive me if I echo:

My tip is to look at the classes at face value. Magus is a caster who can go melee. Oracle is a twisted form of Cleric. Select feats that accent the style. If the Oracle is living artillery, she needs feats to augment that style. If you are planning on becoming a Buffed God, then killing things with your sword, then focus on ways to make your spells last longer and be more powerful.

Curious
2011-11-01, 02:16 PM
-Snip-

Would recommend you swap Combat Casting at 5th level out for Experimental Spellcaster (Accelerate), so you can move, full attack, and cast a spell, all in one turn. Also, what is your current build for the Magus looking like?

Blyte
2011-11-01, 02:56 PM
for the oracle, perhaps

feats- toppling spell, improved trip, greater trip.
trait- magical lineage (spiritual weapon)

take the holy vindicator prestige class, wrap your clouded vision eyes in bandages, and bleed from the eyes for your stigmata. (rutger hower in blind fury, or denzel washington in book of eli)-esque

this would unfortunately only be an available prestige class to the life oracle though since they can have the channel energy..

with you tripping and multiple spiritual weapons out tripping, all provoking AoOs, you will be really increasing the control and damage on the field as well as being able to throw channeled heals, maximised personal heals, Life Link and Safe Curing mysteries making you an amazing healer in the thick of battle.

Krazzman
2011-11-02, 05:17 AM
Would recommend you swap Combat Casting at 5th level out for Experimental Spellcaster (Accelerate), so you can move, full attack, and cast a spell, all in one turn. Also, what is your current build for the Magus looking like?

Like this:
Serek Thunderstroke
Level 2 Bladebound Magus Human
Attributes:
Strength: 19
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 15
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 7

Feats:
H: Improved Initiative
1: Toughness
3: Power Attack
5: Bonus Feat: Furious Focus
5: ???
7: Intensify Spell

Arcane Pool: 1/3 Level + 2 = 3.
Arcanas:
6: ???

Equipment and Wealth:
Scimitar
Clothing
Leather Armor
Waterskin
10 Page Spellbook (8 Pages written: all 0-level Spells, Grease, Color Spray, Frostbite, Shocking Grasp, Vanish, Featherfall, Enlarge Person[off my head will look it up later])
1 Gold, 7 Silver, 10 Copper.

I might can wait till level 6 till I get my Arcana but still I would like to get an impression of what is good for this build. If I should take Extra Arcane Pool or Extra Arcana on 7th Level and so on.

with you tripping and multiple spiritual weapons out tripping, all provoking AoOs, you will be really increasing the control and damage on the field as well as being able to throw channeled heals, maximised personal heals, Life Link and Safe Curing mysteries making you an amazing healer in the thick of battle.

Yeah, the problem is...she wanted to stay with the flames mystery, being a blaster and such. So Toppling Spell etc are not of her like.

Blyte
2011-11-02, 07:17 AM
heh, well I'd recommend selective target fireballs with magical lineage fireballs then. being able to ground zero nuke is always nice.

Krazzman
2011-11-02, 09:07 AM
heh, well I'd recommend selective target fireballs with magical lineage fireballs then. being able to ground zero nuke is always nice.

Wouldn't they be still Spell level 2? And is it worth to trade 1 Feat for 2 Traits (since we are playing without).

Blyte
2011-11-02, 09:52 AM
they would be a 3rd level spell as fireball is 3rd level.

feat- selective target (+1 spell level)

trait- magical lineage (-1 spell level)

having fireball on a devine caster's spell list is one of the only attractions to the flame oracle I can remember off-hand. might as well make it your magical lineage, so you can empower them for a 4th level slot, selective target them keeping them 3rd level, you can also get the feat that lets you change the energy type which I believe is only 1 spell level as well.

Krazzman
2011-11-02, 11:18 AM
they would be a 3rd level spell as fireball is 3rd level.

feat- selective target (+1 spell level)

trait- magical lineage (-1 spell level)

having fireball on a devine caster's spell list is one of the only attractions to the flame oracle I can remember off-hand. might as well make it your magical lineage, so you can empower them for a 4th level slot, selective target them keeping them 3rd level, you can also get the feat that lets you change the energy type which I believe is only 1 spell level as well.

Magical Lineage is nice and I would take it but...the problem with this trait lies in the fact that it is a trait. With Extra Traits I would probably able to take it, but in which feat slot... to mention it, we play with out starting with traits.

Blyte
2011-11-02, 12:10 PM
oh I see.

it's not a *bad* option taking extra traits to nab lineage + reactionary.. they equate to about to the same power level as a feat, but if you are tight for feats then don't do it.

just pick up some meta-magic rods soon as you can.

Krazzman
2011-11-02, 05:18 PM
just pick up some meta-magic rods soon as you can.

Yeah, thats quite a good Idea. Any suggestions on Magic Items? We will probably be quite pinched when it comes to money and this most likely will count for I grab the magic stuff I get on my way. Luckily I've got a Magic Weapon already, but what are good enchantments for this since I want to get away from the static +1d6 elemental damage...

I again hope for your advice.

Krazzman
2011-11-03, 12:34 PM
Ok, I might specify this a bit more.

What Wondrous Items, Armor Enchants and Weapon Enchants can you advice me to buy/try to get? And which for the Oracle?

For example our Rogue newbie wants a cloak where he gets common non-magical items from.

Hope you can again help me.