PDA

View Full Version : Robot Lawyers, Go! [3.5, Monster]

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-29, 01:35 PM
Narcissoid
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/189/7/b/vox_solus_a001_by_343guiltyspark-d3lgm3y.jpgPicture Source (http://343guiltyspark.deviantart.com/art/Vox-Solus-A001-217445614)

Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 7d10+20hp (65hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50ft (10 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +6 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+7
Attack: Claw +7 (1d8+2)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +7 (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Cross Examination, Objection!, Spell-like Abilities.
Special Qualities: Alluring Uniform, Always Under False Pretences, Silver Tongued.
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities Str 14, Dex 15, Con -, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Gather Information +10, Intimidate +16, Knowledge (Local) +8, Sense Motive +14, Spot +12, Profession (Legal Expert) +12
Feats: Iron Will, Negotiator, Persuasive
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or Troupe (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Standard, All Coins
Alignment: Any Lawful
Advancement: By Character Class
Level Adjustment: +1

As you wander the cogs, looking for a way off this land of stick-up-the-backsides, your path is blocked by an odd creature in a multicoloured suit. Levers and pumps whirr as its robotic mandibles chatter - "At last I've found you, no doubt because of my excellent searching skills. I'm here to summon you to a court hearing......"

A negotiator between two demiplanes hired by a third party. The accountant of a Mercane. The lawyer for Graz'zt himself. These are the many jobs of the Narcissoids, robotic law experts originating from a cog deep in Mechanus. Their name originates from their temperament - all Narcissoids seem to have an overwhelming Superiority Complex, although they tend to hold their metal tongues when in their client's earshot. Most Narcissoids can be found in Sigil and Union, selling their legal services to the highest bidder.

A Narcissoid is about 6 1/2 foot tall, and weighs 200 pounds. A Narcissoid speaks all known languages (see Silver Tongued).

Combat

Narcissoids are not warriors by any stretch of the imagination, and if negotiations fail then they use their above average land speed to run away, using Objection! to block any attacks as they flee and then blend into crowds with their Disguise Self SLA.

Alluring Uniform (Su): All Narcissioids have, as a sort of racial attire, the ability to summon up a glowing suit of stars and galaxies that obscures its actual robotic form. As a swift action, a Narcissoid may activate this ability, which grants it DR 5/Chaotic until this ability is dispelled or dismissed as a free action.

Always Under False Pretences (Su): A Narcissoid has special parts of its mechanical equivalent of a brain devoted to masking lies from magical sensors, but absolute devotion to fooling magical forces has left it comparitively unprotected from mundane probing. Nothing that isn't inherently mundane in nature (like a Sense Motive check) can detect if a Narcissoid is lying or not.

Cross Examination (Su): Three times per day, a Narcissoid may ask any creature that it can communicate with a question as a full-round action. The creature is compelled to answer the question, and answer it truthfully. This ability ignores abilities that would mask a person's lies (including other Narcissoid's Always Under False Pretences quality), but is blocked by Mind Blank. This is a Mind-Effecting ability.

Objection! (Su): Once per day as an immediate action, a Narcissoid may activate this ability in counter to any ability that requires an action of any sort to activate. The person making the action must make a DC 17 Will Save or the action fails, still expending any resources used (spell slots, reagents etc.). This ability is Cha based.

Skills: A Narcissoid gains a +10 racial bonus on all Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive checks, and can always use the skills as if they were trained in the aforementioned skills.

Silver Tongued (Ex): All Narcissoids are programmed with all known languages imaginable, and the capacity to learn any missing languages in seconds. A Narcissoid speaks all languages.

Spell-like Abilities: At Will - Disguise Self; 3/day - Glibness.
Caster level equal to Narcissoid's HD (Caster Level of 7 for the average Narcissoid).

Mulletmanalive
2011-10-29, 02:57 PM
That image is scarily awesome [and relatively simple to implement via photoshop, though making it look that good would be very difficult]. Please tell me of this artist's website[s] so i may stalk them mercilessly...

Nothing much to say about the monster; interesting counterpoint to Inevitables but i wouldn't use them as i cant' really think of a use for them.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-10-29, 03:39 PM
I like it quite a bit, but two things:

1) Glibness should be 1/day or 3/day. At-will means they have a permanent Bluff check of +46.

2) DR 15/chaotic is essentially DR 15/- at the levels you would face one of these, and is probably too much. That's the DR you get on a creature 10 CR above this. Maybe DR 5/chaotic? D

Otherwise, very cool. Where did you find that picture?

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-29, 03:46 PM
That image is scarily awesome [and relatively simple to implement via photoshop, though making it look that good would be very difficult]. Please tell me of this artist's website[s] so i may stalk them mercilessly...

I'll slip the link underneath the spolier. Suffice to say Deviantart has been very inspirational for my homebrew.

Nothing much to say about the monster; interesting counterpoint to Inevitables but i wouldn't use them as i cant' really think of a use for them.

Well, I made the, as a manipulator/leader figure, and as a way of getting players involved with Mechanus, because all the other lawful figures I can think of (Inevitables, Modrons, Formians) aren't really up for discussion.

I like it quite a bit, but two things:

1) Glibness should be 1/day or 3/day. At-will means they have a permanent Bluff check of +46.

Gotcha. 3/day it is.

2) DR 15/chaotic is essentially DR 15/- at the levels you would face one of these, and is probably too much. That's the DR you get on a creature 10 CR above this. Maybe DR 5/chaotic?

Whoops. I made an epic monster last, so I'm kinda geared towards that. DR 5/Chaotic it is.

Otherwise, very cool. Where did you find that picture?

Under the spoiler.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-29, 05:48 PM
Oh god, it's a robot AND a lawyer! We're all doomed!

...I like it. Although it'll go down hard in a straight fight; maybe lower the save DC on Objection! and allow it to be used a few more times per day?

Qwertystop
2011-10-29, 06:27 PM
SO you saw that picture and instantly thought "robot lawyer"? Wow. I'd have thought some form of teleporting or void-magic or incorporeality. Maybe even an illusion-focused robot. We agree on the "robot" bit, though.

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-29, 06:44 PM
Oh god, it's a robot AND a lawyer! We're all doomed!

DOOOOOOOMED! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkPVDI751Ys)

...I like it. Although it'll go down hard in a straight fight; maybe lower the save DC on Objection! and allow it to be used a few more times per day?

It's not really a fighter, and the save is your bog standard Cha DC save. Eh, 2/day instead of 1/day is O.K.

SO you saw that picture and instantly thought "robot lawyer"? Wow. I'd have thought some form of teleporting or void-magic or incorporeality. Maybe even an illusion-focused robot. We agree on the "robot" bit, though.

I thought robot lawyer, yeah. Maybe I need to clear out the old noggin', thinking about it in retrospect. :smallconfused: