PDA

View Full Version : Will PrC's that advance casting also advance psionics?

King Atticus
2011-10-29, 02:01 PM
I know that if a DM wants to he can make it so but I'm wondering if this is something that can occur by the book.

Thanks in advance

Daftendirekt
2011-10-29, 02:02 PM
No, only prestige classes that have "+1 level of existing manifesting class" advance psionics. And with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions, those are found in CPsi and the XPH.

Morph Bark
2011-10-29, 02:19 PM
Nope, as already stated. The only magic systems that can be advanced by PrCs not specifically keyed to their magic system are Invoking (warlock/DFA) and Shadow Magic (shadowcaster), who can use arcane PrCs to advance them.

I generally allow the same for psionics though (except ardent, that one has transparency with divine magic). Is handy for theurge PrCs that don't otherwise exist for psionics, like Ruby Knight Vindicator, Jade Phoenix Mage or Noctumancer.

skycycle blues
2011-10-29, 02:28 PM
It's pretty much up to the DM's discretion. Some classes more easily lend themselves to the transparency than others. For example, some classes (like gish classes) have abilities that grant you bonuses by burning a spell. That would be harder to fairly adapt than a class that just advances spellcasting and doesn't give other class features depending on spells.

Yorae
2011-10-29, 02:35 PM
It's pretty much up to the DM's discretion. Some classes more easily lend themselves to the transparency than others. For example, some classes (like gish classes) have abilities that grant you bonuses by burning a spell. That would be harder to fairly adapt than a class that just advances spellcasting and doesn't give other class features depending on spells.

Easy - just have them burn an equivalent number of power points.
level of the spell * 2 - 1 = PP to spend

Psyren
2011-10-29, 02:37 PM
Some classes can advance either, such as Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster, due to unique wording. Otherwise it functions as Annulus says.

Nope, as already stated. The only magic systems that can be advanced by PrCs not specifically keyed to their magic system are Invoking (warlock/DFA) and Shadow Magic (shadowcaster), who can use arcane PrCs to advance them.

Actually, this is incorrect for Shadowcasters - Shadow magic can only be advanced by PrCs that do not specify arcane or divine casting (e.g. Loremaster or Celestial Mystic.) Mystic Theurge is the only exception to this rule.

It's pretty much up to the DM's discretion.

All things are, but the OP was specifically asking for by the book, without DM fiat.

Chronos
2011-10-29, 03:47 PM
Actually, this is incorrect for Shadowcasters - Shadow magic can only be advanced by PrCs that do not specify arcane or divine casting (e.g. Loremaster or Celestial Mystic.) Mystic Theurge is the only exception to this rule.
And it never actually specifies that it uses the arcane side of Mystic Theurge, so you could also use MT to advance, say, Shadowcaster and Wizard.

Lord Vukodlak
2011-10-29, 04:00 PM
I know that if a DM wants to he can make it so but I'm wondering if this is something that can occur by the book.

Thanks in advance

The mindbender arcane prestiage class includes text that it be appropriate as a psionic class with the appropriate modifications.

Psyren
2011-10-29, 04:10 PM
And it never actually specifies that it uses the arcane side of Mystic Theurge, so you could also use MT to advance, say, Shadowcaster and Wizard.

Yep, this is precisely what the dual 9 Noctumancer builds do.

The mindbender arcane prestiage class includes text that it be appropriate as a psionic class with the appropriate modifications.

There are other classes with psionic adaptations like that, such as Abjurant Champion, Daggerspell Mage, Anima Mage etc. But it has to be specifically stated.