PDA

View Full Version : good PrCs for a melee centric Cleric build?

umbergod
2011-10-29, 03:51 PM
I'm playing a Cleric of Hextor, gonna take some levels in Ordained Champion, and originally was going to take 7 levels of Bone Knight. Then I realized that Bone Knight really didn't mesh with my character concept, and infringed on a new player's domain of undead things. So in light of that, what are some good PrCs to pursue as a "fighter" cleric? CL is no worry for me, as I am only using spell slots to heal myself after combat, or for buffs. once i unlock 4th level spell slots I will have a persisted Divine Power on myself at all times, and my 9th level feat is going to be Holy Warrior, locking up another max level spell slot for boosting my melee damage.

Psyren
2011-10-29, 04:12 PM
ToB/Incarnum allowed? You can't go wrong with Ruby Knight Windicator or Sapphire Hurtarch.

umbergod
2011-10-29, 04:21 PM
ToB/Incarnum allowed? You can't go wrong with Ruby Knight Windicator or Sapphire Hurtarch.

I have to run anything by the DM for a final say so, since I am one of 2 veterans in the group, and prone to accidental min/maxing. this is a modified Age of Worms campaign, so idk how optimized i should be, so im aiming low and hoping i dont get murdered

tyckspoon
2011-10-29, 04:30 PM
There's.. really not a lot that I know of. Most of the divine/melee PrCs are either terrible (Shining Blade, War Priest) or won't advance your casting (Pious Templar is pretty good but has its own spellcasting instead of +1 existing class, Divine Crusader's whole point is fast advancement of its own spellcasting track.) Or require good alignment, which I'm assuming a cleric of Hextor probably isn't.

hex0
2011-10-29, 04:37 PM
Prestige Paladin (of relevant alignment)

umbergod
2011-10-29, 04:37 PM
There's.. really not a lot that I know of. Most of the divine/melee PrCs are either terrible (Shining Blade, War Priest) or won't advance your casting (Pious Templar is pretty good but has its own spellcasting instead of +1 existing class, Divine Crusader's whole point is fast advancement of its own spellcasting track.) Or require good alignment, which I'm assuming a cleric of Hextor probably isn't.

yeah definitely not. I'm lawful evil, though the DM is gonna retool the Inquisitor PrC for me, as my role within the church is to find dissenters from the Church of Hextor and either bring them back into the fold, or kill them.

gallagher
2011-10-29, 06:49 PM
sacred fist?

EDIT: never mind, doesnt work with the build

umbergod
2011-10-29, 06:55 PM
I may take a level of pious templar, if only for the mettle ability. As I said before, losing caster levels isnt a huge deal, as long as by max level i have access to at least 6th or 7th level spells.

Though since I am thinking about it, with divine power, PrCs with full BAB progression aren't necessary, as I will have a full BAB by default once I get access to said spell thanks to DMM and persistent spell.

Hirax
2011-10-29, 07:04 PM
Grab 3 levels of prestige paladin and pick up a hippogriff mount. Then grab a valorous lance and the spirited charge feat. Put a wand chamber in the weapon for a wand of rhino's rush. Add in shock trooper and power attack. Damage on a charge from your hippogriff:

(X+Y*1.5+Z*2)5
X=base weapon damage (dice plus enhancement bonus)
Y=strength mod
Z=BAB put into power attack

Let's say your lance does an average of 5 damage, strength mod is 6, and BAB into power attack is 8. That comes out to
(5*1.5*6+8*2)5=150

Too much? Just drop the valorous weapon, switch to a non-lance, spirited charge, and/or wand of rhino's rush.

edit: ride-by-attack is a given here, so you don't provoke AoOs, and your hippogriff's 100' move speed will make it easy for you to stay out of harm's way. Hippogriffs have the wingover feat, so changing direction with them is easy despite their average maneuverability.

gbprime
2011-10-29, 07:10 PM
I may take a level of pious templar, if only for the mettle ability. As I said before, losing caster levels isnt a huge deal, as long as by max level i have access to at least 6th or 7th level spells.

Though since I am thinking about it, with divine power, PrCs with full BAB progression aren't necessary, as I will have a full BAB by default once I get access to said spell thanks to DMM and persistent spell.

Oh well, yeah, if you're going to DMMP Divine Power, then just focus on the full casting (or really close to it). If you can scrape up the feats for it, Master of Shrouds is a good choice, as it gives a free extra turning and the ability to summon some heavy duty meat shields.

umbergod
2011-10-29, 08:10 PM
Oh well, yeah, if you're going to DMMP Divine Power, then just focus on the full casting (or really close to it). If you can scrape up the feats for it, Master of Shrouds is a good choice, as it gives a free extra turning and the ability to summon some heavy duty meat shields.

not a bad idea, but I wanna avoid undead, even summoning

TroubleBrewing
2011-10-29, 11:58 PM
Sacred Exorcist? Can't really go wrong there. Full casting, 3/4 BAB, some nifty abilities, no entry requirements that you won't already have.

EDIT: Cleric of Hextor. Duh. Good lord, I think I've switched my brain off.

umbergod
2011-10-30, 12:18 AM
Sacred Exorcist? Can't really go wrong there. Full casting, 3/4 BAB, some nifty abilities, no entry requirements that you won't already have.

EDIT: Cleric of Hextor. Duh. Good lord, I think I've switched my brain off.

lol it happens. my DM is gonna retool the Inquisitor PrC for me a bit, so I can function as an Inquisitor of the Church of Hextor. beyond that and 3 levels of Ordained Champion, I'm not sure what else to take

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-30, 12:19 AM
Divine Oracle 4, 6, or 10: Get Evasion that works in heavy armor and Uncanny Dodge, plus a few other goodies. Say you visited the Frog God's Fane detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get its Skill Focus prerequisite without spending a feat on it.

umbergod
2011-10-30, 12:21 AM
Divine Oracle 4, 6, or 10: Get Evasion that works in heavy armor and Uncanny Dodge, plus a few other goodies. Say you visited the Frog God's Fane detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get its Skill Focus prerequisite without spending a feat on it.

we start at first level, so i would have to con my DM into adding that in and allowing me to find it

TroubleBrewing
2011-10-30, 12:34 AM
we start at first level, so i would have to con my DM into adding that in and allowing me to find it

Ah. That makes things... Challenging.

umbergod
2011-10-30, 12:35 AM
Ah. That makes things... Challenging.

yeah i guess, though unless I am mistaken Inquisitor doesnt require any feats, just access to Zone of Truth and some skill requirements, so most of my feats are free. I'm picking up persistent spell at 3rd level, and have nothing planned for the rest of them

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-30, 12:52 AM
If the party gets a few weeks/months of in-game downtime, you can just pay the gold and say he visited it, unless the DM is insistent on playing it out.

Hazzardevil
2011-10-30, 05:01 PM
shattered gates of slaughterguarde has a prestige class that does what you want.
8/10 casting, average BAb, but it lets you spend turn undead attempts to take the form of a solar and have your Full Attacks replaced with new routines. Check, it, seriously, you can enter at level 4/5.

umbergod
2011-10-30, 05:22 PM
If the party gets a few weeks/months of in-game downtime, you can just pay the gold and say he visited it, unless the DM is insistent on playing it out.

its a play by post, so no more than 24 hrs of downtime actually >.<

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-30, 05:25 PM
its a play by post, so no more than 24 hrs of downtime actually >.<

I said in-game downtime, i.e. a few characters in the party want to use their item creation feats so the PCs experience a one to eight week intermission, even though the game play doesn't skip a beat.

umbergod
2011-10-30, 05:27 PM
I said in-game downtime, i.e. a few characters in the party want to use their item creation feats so the PCs experience a one to eight week intermission, even though the game play doesn't skip a beat.

oh, derp, I missed the in game part :P I will have to ask the DM