PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Mindchemist Cognatogen

Stone Heart
2011-10-29, 04:10 PM
I was thinking about rolling up a mindchemist for a new campaign because using the intelligence will help with my bombs, but then I noticed that Cognatogens cause ability damage after they are used, unlike the mutagen which just sets everything back to normal.

Why is this? It seems like an unnecessary punishment for a class ability. Is it more overpowered than I thought? Would it be too much to houserule it to not have that?

Psyren
2011-10-29, 04:25 PM
While mutagens make you better at melee (a task suited only to specific alchemist builds), cognatogens (specifically, Int cognatogens) make you better at just about everything else alchemists do - increasing the damage of your bombs, the save DCs of your discoveries, boosting your skill checks (such as your Craft, Spellcraft, and Knowledge checks), etc. In addition, they do all this while still providing you the AC buff that a mutagen would. Therefore, there is more incentive for an Alchemist to use cognatogens than mutagens and they needed a steeper drawback.

If it is a significant issue for you, remember that you have Restoration and Lesser Restoration as extracts.