PDA

View Full Version : Unusual dwarf build(Inspired by Person man)

Torrim
2011-10-29, 04:29 PM
Hi all guys,i'm new here so and didn't find an "introduction" section so i'll post here.I've been a DM and a player for 10 years now and i'm always interested in weird,funny but strong builds.When i found the Frozen Dwarf Hulk Smash(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50588) Person Man created i fell in love. I had to create a new char for an high power game i'm playing(32 point buy +4 for levels,start at lvl 19, standard gold for our lvl, +3 LEP for free)and i based my char on that lovely dwarf.Every suggestion is appreciated :P

Half silver dragon dwarf Barbarian 1/Cleric 9/Deepwarden 2/Fist of the forest 3/Frostrager 4

Feats:Improved unarmed strike,Power attack,Endurance,Frozen Berserk,Extended spells,Persistent spells,Divine Metamagic,Great Fortitude(Dwar domain power)

Stats:
STR 18 +8(Righteous might) +6(divine power)=32
DES 10
CON 25 +5(Manual +5) +4(Righteous might) +6(belt)=40
INT 12
WIS 15
CHR 30 +6(+6 head slot)=36

Items:2xNightstick,CHR+6(head slot),Necklace of natural weapon(brilliant energy,warning),Wings of Flying, Saving throws+5 shirt, bracers of armor+8, ring of protection+5,COS+6(belt slot), pale green Ioun stone,Dusty rose Ioun stone,Animated Shield+5,Manual of Bodily Health+5

Persistent spells: Righteous Might,Divine Power, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Permanent Spell:

Total CA:68[10+8(bracers)+7(shield)+15(CON to DES)-1(size)+8(4 Half dragon and 4 Righteous Might)+5(ring of protection)+15(CON from FoF)+1(Ioun Stone)]

Normal attacks:
38/38/33/28/23 / 2d8+19+1d6 cold dmg
Rage
40/40/35/30/25 / 3d6+21+1d6 cold dmg

Saving Throws:
Fortitude 38=18(base)+15(CON)+5(magic)
Reflex 13=8(base)+5(magic)
Will 17=10(base)+2(Wis)+5(magic)

Thanks in advance for your answers :)

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-29, 04:51 PM
Missing Steadfast determination out of PHBII for adding con to will saves instead of wisdom. It also removes auto failure from rolling 1 on fort saves.

Torrim
2011-10-29, 05:49 PM
I know,planning on taking it ASAP with Extra turning,so that i can get a 4th persistent spell

herrhauptmann
2011-10-29, 06:06 PM
3 levels of dwarf paragon gets you more dwarfiness, and a con boost. But I doubt you want/need it.

Phoenix cloak (MiC) is a much better source of flight than the cloak of flying.

If you want to avoid getting hit, a set of miss chances will help better than high AC by this level.

Paladin (of freedom) 2 will get you charisma to your saves as well.

I'd suggest dropping the bracers of armor +8. Buy a chain shirt or something, just a +1, but stack lots of other enchantments on it. Soulfire is key at that level, immunity to negative energy? Yes please. Make it blueshine or durable, and laugh at any rusting/acidic monster you encounter.
At most, make that chain shirt a +3 so you can put armor crystals on it. Ditto for your shield. Now, you can afford more of the special enchantments without getting into epic pricing.

What is "COS+6 Belt slot" A belt of giant strength +6?

I take it you're planning to punch people to death? Damage looks a little low in that case. Maybe strong arm bracers+gold weapon, now you can hit at 2 categories above your own size.

Torrim
2011-10-29, 07:16 PM
3 levels of dwarf paragon gets you more dwarfiness, and a con boost. But I doubt you want/need it.

Phoenix cloak (MiC) is a much better source of flight than the cloak of flying.

If you want to avoid getting hit, a set of miss chances will help better than high AC by this level.

Paladin (of freedom) 2 will get you charisma to your saves as well.

I'd suggest dropping the bracers of armor +8. Buy a chain shirt or something, just a +1, but stack lots of other enchantments on it. Soulfire is key at that level, immunity to negative energy? Yes please. Make it blueshine or durable, and laugh at any rusting/acidic monster you encounter.
At most, make that chain shirt a +3 so you can put armor crystals on it. Ditto for your shield. Now, you can afford more of the special enchantments without getting into epic pricing.

What is "COS+6 Belt slot" A belt of giant strength +6?

I take it you're planning to punch people to death? Damage looks a little low in that case. Maybe strong arm bracers+gold weapon, now you can hit at 2 categories above your own size.

Phoenix cloak is a little "bgbreaking" so i'd like not to get it.Paladin and Paragon are good ideas,but i got no levels to spare.The idea of a Large sized Dwarf punching people to death with his bare fist,shirtless and with ice freezing on him is a lot of fun. Thanks to "Death ward" i can say "no thanks" to armor,since max Dexterity would lower my "CON as DEX bonus at AC".COS+6 is Constitution belt+6 :P. For the last part,i want to PUNCH people,not to slash/pierce them :P

Tokuhara
2011-10-30, 12:16 AM
Phoenix cloak is a little "bgbreaking" so i'd like not to get it.Paladin and Paragon are good ideas,but i got no levels to spare.The idea of a Large sized Dwarf punching people to death with his bare fist,shirtless and with ice freezing on him is a lot of fun. Thanks to "Death ward" i can say "no thanks" to armor,since max Dexterity would lower my "CON as DEX bonus at AC".COS+6 is Constitution belt+6 :P. For the last part,i want to PUNCH people,not to slash/pierce them :P

Pick up Versatile Unarmed Strike

Torrim
2011-10-30, 07:32 AM
I rebuilt him this morning after a good night sleep,swapping frostarger and barbarian for 2 more lvl in cleric and 3 warrior(solving the multiclass exp problem i had before with barb+cleric)and working around with items i was able to attain a 4th persistent spell and a couple of exteded spells.

Half dragon dwarf Warrior 3/Cleric 11/Deepwarden 2/Fist of the forest 3

Feats:Impr. Unarmed strike, Power attack, Endurance, Great fortitude(dwarf domain), Extended spells, Persistent spells,Divine metamagic, Steadfast determination, Extra turning, Practiced spellcaster.

STATS= same as before with a +7 to wisdom(+1 manual and +6 item)

Items=2xNighstick;item CHA+6; Necklace of natural weapon(Brilliant energy,Warning); Bracers +8 AC; Protection ring +5; Animated shield +1(+5 with magic vestment),Pale green Ioun stone, Dusty rose Ioun stone,Wings of Flying,Ring of enduring arcana, Ankh of ascension(x2), Manual WIS+1,item WIS+6,Candle of invocation(x2),metamagic rod,extended lesser

Persistent and extended spells:
Conviction(20th caster lvl; extended)
Death ward(20th caster lvl; persistent)
Magic vestment(20th caster lvl)
Divine power(20th caster level; persistent)
Righteous might(20th caster lvl; persistent)
Righteous wrath of the faithful(20th caster lvl; persistent)
Energy immunity x2(Fire, elecricity)
Ebon Eyes(extended)

Unarmed strike: 38/38/33/28/23 2d8+19

Got Brilliant energy so i'll be able to use power attack a lot :D What do you think of this version?

Retech
2011-10-30, 07:37 AM
Your group plays with multiclass exp penalties?

gallagher
2011-10-30, 09:17 AM
Ebon Eyes(extended)

you are a dwarf, you have darkvision. how often does magical darkness become a problem for you at such a high level? instead of extending, prepare a couple (they are low level after all) or prepare a few daylights. hell you should prepare at least one daylight for regular reasons anyway

Torrim
2011-10-30, 11:27 AM
you are a dwarf, you have darkvision. how often does magical darkness become a problem for you at such a high level? instead of extending, prepare a couple (they are low level after all) or prepare a few daylights. hell you should prepare at least one daylight for regular reasons anyway

I have spare slots for Daylight so no problem. Anyway yes, magical darkness is a huge problem since we have to fight ****loads of demons and such,so tons of magical darkness all around us :P
I was thinking of swapping righteous might for Holy transformation because Righteous might is heavily nerfed with the Errata

Torrim
2011-11-01, 11:54 AM
Sooo i was reading "Practical metamagic" and it lists "ability to spontaneously cast 3rd level spells" as prerequisite and i thought....cleric CAN do that!He can SPONTANEOUSLY cast heal spells...am i right??

herrhauptmann
2011-11-01, 02:31 PM
Sooo i was reading "Practical metamagic" and it lists "ability to spontaneously cast 3rd level spells" as prerequisite and i thought....cleric CAN do that!He can SPONTANEOUSLY cast heal spells...am i right??

He can spontaneously convert spells to cure/inflict, but he's not casting them spontaneously like a sorcerer, bard, or favored soul.

Torrim
2011-11-01, 03:57 PM
He can spontaneously convert spells to cure/inflict, but he's not casting them spontaneously like a sorcerer, bard, or favored soul.

Y...i thought about this build:

Favored soul X/Contemplative 1(Sun domain)/Sacred exorcist 1/Radiant servant of Pelor 1

You get a dragonblood subtype race,get practical metamagic...you get 3+Cha turns from Sacred Exorcist and another 3+Cha from RsoP...with +14 Cha, 2 nightsticks, extra turning and the reliquary holy symbol you get 6+28+8+4+3=49 turn attempts...extending you persistent spells you can get 8+8 persistent spells working like this:
Day 1

You cast your 8 persistent spells(6 turn attempts each thanks to practical metamagic) and then extend them all.They now last 48 hours!The following day you cast another 8 spells in the same way,reaching 16 persistent spells!

Or you cast 7 each days and extend them through divine metamagic to save slots :P

Required feats:Extended spells,Persistent spells,Divine metamagic(Persistent spells),Practical metamagic, Extra turning, Divine metamagic(Extended spells)

6 Feats for total awesomness :D

herrhauptmann
2011-11-01, 04:33 PM
Count of your turn attempts looks odd for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, so I might just be imagining things. (Probably am)

Otherwise, this looks like a pretty solid build.
I'd suggest:
1) some Divine Oracle, you get a form of evasion that works with armor.
2)Devotion feats. Law is generally better than Chaos. Knowledge and Travel are good for everyone.
Not sure if you'll actually need to have 7 daily buffs like that. Perhaps just 3 or 4, and if you get dispelled, you've got enough turn attempts in reserve to put the important ones back up without using up all of your highest level spell slots.

Torrim
2011-11-01, 05:31 PM
Count of your turn attempts looks odd for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, so I might just be imagining things. (Probably am)

Otherwise, this looks like a pretty solid build.
I'd suggest:
1) some Divine Oracle, you get a form of evasion that works with armor.
2)Devotion feats. Law is generally better than Chaos. Knowledge and Travel are good for everyone.
Not sure if you'll actually need to have 7 daily buffs like that. Perhaps just 3 or 4, and if you get dispelled, you've got enough turn attempts in reserve to put the important ones back up without using up all of your highest level spell slots.
my turn count is 3+char(14) for sacred exorcist and 3+char(14) for RsoP + 8(2 nightsticks) + 4(extra turning) + 3 for reliquary holy symbol=49

I still need to build the character so i don't know which spells i'll use and/or which other feats i'll need,anyway thanks for suggestion,i'll post the full build tomorrow :D

Torrim
2011-11-01, 06:59 PM
I'm nearly done with my persistent spells list,but i can't remember the name of a spell i found some time ago...it said you could ready a standard action every turn,even if normally you couldn't do that...any1 remembers which spell it is?

herrhauptmann
2011-11-01, 07:11 PM
my turn count is 3+char(14) for sacred exorcist and 3+char(14) for RsoP + 8(2 nightsticks) + 4(extra turning) + 3 for reliquary holy symbol=49

I still need to build the character so i don't know which spells i'll use and/or which other feats i'll need,anyway thanks for suggestion,i'll post the full build tomorrow :D

Extra turning applies to all your sources of turning, doesn't it?
And SE provides regular turning, while RSoP provides Greater Turning?

Ditto with the nightsticks I think. So each nightstick would boost your SE turns by 4, and your RSoP turns by 4...

Please, doublecheck with someone else. I haven't actually made and used a character like this. Games never got off the ground each time I tried.

Tokuhara
2011-11-01, 07:17 PM
I have an odd suggestion, blending kung-fu, pure evil, and devotion to atheism (dunno quite how that works)

Race: Lesser Duergar
Class: Monk/Ur Priest/Sacred Fist/Whatever

Torrim
2011-11-01, 07:31 PM
Extra turning applies to all your sources of turning, doesn't it?
And SE provides regular turning, while RSoP provides Greater Turning?

Ditto with the nightsticks I think. So each nightstick would boost your SE turns by 4, and your RSoP turns by 4...

Please, doublecheck with someone else. I haven't actually made and used a character like this. Games never got off the ground each time I tried.

Dunno where to check,but if it works like this build is roughly 17% more awesome!

Btw for now i persist and extend the following spells:

Righteous might; Divine Power; Recitation; Divine Favor; Holy Transformation; Holy Star; Visage of the Deity Greater; Elation; Divine Agility; Conviction; Blindsight Greater; Brilliant Blade; Crawling Darkness; Death ward

Add 5 extended Energy immunity(Fire,Cold,Acid,Elec.,Sound),Ext. Greater magical weapon,Ext. Magic vestment,Ext. Superior Resistance

Feat progression(Half Dragon Human):
1°=Extend spells
1°=Persistent spells
3°=DMM(Persistent)
6°=DMM(Extended)
9°=Practical metamagic
12°=Extra turning
15°=Spell Girding(Magic of Faerun) if your DM is ok with it or Craft Contingency spell
18°=Craft contingency spell/Don't know

With craft contingency spell you set an AMF whenever you are in the area of a Disjunction,so that it'll get in only 20% of the time...if i can find the spell that allows you to ready a bonus action everu round,i'll cast footsteps of the divine and ready the standard action"fly upward/run forward/whatever" to get out of the Disjunction area :D