PDA

View Full Version : In game trivia needed.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-10-29, 05:13 PM
I'm working on a game that will be set largely in a mage school. One of the first stages of the selection process is a test given by magical stones that rearrange themselves to spell out questions and they need to think the answers at the stones. I'd like to be able to actually ask some of these questions at the table and have them sound like reasonable questions, but I also don't want my most experienced player to instantly know all the answers. I'm having a hard time coming up with questions that fall in the realm between stupidly easy and insanely hard.

I considered asking rudimentary physics questions, but all the best ones I can think of involve diagrams. Asking alost anything about MM1 should be too easy for my brother.

Diefje
2011-10-29, 06:25 PM
You could multiple choice, if you think they're too hard. Or if they get stuck you can give them hints with a rolled knowledge check.

Add some questions about the make up of the universe, planes, etc. (physics), alchemy, poisons, special materials ((bio)chemisty), a little mathematics problem, some monster knowledge from the more wizardly monsters (dragons, constructs). Dig through your Trivial Pursuit box for science questions if you don't need them all to be thematic.

Elboxo
2011-10-29, 06:50 PM
Diefje has some excellent ideas, multiple answer questions about planes and spell components/Metamagic would be cool, if they are at a mage school the questions should really be centred around the arcane, so it could be a good idea to include questions about magic items, and even the spellbook; How many pages does it hold, how much space does a spell of x level hold, how long does it take to copy the spell in, also don't neglect basic things that people forget like characteristics of races; Elf Wizards can use longbows, even though wizards don't have proficiency... that sort of things.

Also ask them questions that will actually be helpful to the newer players in their story, things about the enemy, how to spot an enemy caster, how to counter spells or what to do in x situation ( These would be great multiple choice questions ) other ones might be as simple as how close you can get to a troll before it can hit you, or did they know the range on an enlarged medium-sized humanoid ( Enlarged to Large size ) With a spike chain has a 20 ft melee range around him and can trip anyone within that....

Cool idea though, I hope it works out well for you