PDA

View Full Version : [PF] "Permanent" ability score buffs

The Boz
2011-10-29, 05:44 PM
Says that buffs that increase ability scores for over 24 hours become permanent... Does that mean that the actual ability score increases (as a natural increase), or does the effect that provides the increase become permanent instead? And how does that react with dispel magic and similar spells?

kardar233
2011-10-29, 05:50 PM
I think it means that it counts for prerequisites, like if you had STR11 and put on a +2 STR item for 24 hours you could take power attack.

You can still lose the bonus by losing the item though.

Keneth
2011-10-29, 05:52 PM
This is merely a specific wording used by paizo to differentiate between short-term bonuses (from something like bull's strength) and long-term bonuses (like from wearing a headband of intellect). This is to prevent abuse of such effects.

Edit: See also the SRD section on ability scores (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores).

The Boz
2011-10-29, 06:03 PM
So it's nothing actually special, just there as a note to the DM and players to make the notation... easier, I guess?

Keneth
2011-10-29, 06:08 PM
Yup, it doesn't really change anything apart from granting you perks which are not received with temporary bonuses (like skill points).

Arbane
2011-10-31, 01:25 AM
Yup, it doesn't really change anything apart from granting you perks which are not received with temporary bonuses (like skill points).

So if you boost your INT with a headband (or similar), you get extra skill points permanently, even if you lose it? Or only if you level up while wearing one? :smalleek:

Keneth
2011-10-31, 04:44 AM
Neither. You get extra skill points once you wear the headband for 24 hours and they go away if you take the headband off, so you'd have to wear it for 24 hours again. This prevents you from rearranging a bunch of skill points on the spot when you need them.

qcbtnsrm
2011-10-31, 08:48 AM
Neither. You get extra skill points once you wear the headband for 24 hours and they go away if you take the headband off, so you'd have to wear it for 24 hours again. This prevents you from rearranging a bunch of skill points on the spot when you need them.

You can't anyway. Magic items that grant Int provide specific skills.

A headband of vast intelligence has one skill associated with it per +2 bonus it grants. After being worn for 24 hours, the headband grants a number of skill ranks in those skills equal to the wearer's total Hit Dice. These ranks do not stack with the ranks a creature already possesses. These skills are chosen when the headband is created. If no skill is listed, the headband is assumed to grant skill ranks in randomly determined Knowledge skills.
So you can't re-arrange the skills unless you have multiple headbands with different skill sets that you swap around.

Keneth
2011-10-31, 08:59 AM
Ah, I've never actually read the description of the headband. Well, I guess they've made doubly sure you don't mess around with skill points. :smallbiggrin:

Mustard
2011-10-31, 12:02 PM
One very noticeable thing is with a spellcaster's casting stat. Temporary bonuses only affect spell DCs, where a permanent bonus would also increase spells per day. Same with damage (temporary) and drain (permanent).

The Boz
2011-10-31, 04:11 PM
OK, thanks for all the help, I think I've mastered it now.