PDA

View Full Version : A question on natural attacks

Elboxo
2011-10-29, 07:39 PM
So i'm playing a Tibbit in our campaign, and seeing as I do not have weapon finesse, whenever I turn into a cat my strength goes down to 3 and I have to use this as my attack stat.

I wanted to know if the forum knew anything about natural attacks, like does a creature always use it's highest stat out of Str and Dex to hit, or do I need to get weapon finesse?

Thanks

Medic!
2011-10-29, 07:49 PM
There's a thread I'm too pre-occupied to link to for x stat to y bonus, natural attacks are default to strength without using finesse or something like it (if you don't mind being exalted you can swing it with wisdom via intuitive attack)

The Dark Fiddler
2011-10-29, 07:50 PM
Natural weapons are almost exactly like manufactured weapons, except for how you get extra attacks a round. So no, you can't freely pick between strength and dexterity... unless Tibbit lets you. Note that cats get Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. I don't know exactly how Tibbit work, so I dunno if that's relevant.

HunterOfJello
2011-10-29, 07:52 PM
Even animals have to use weapon finesse to be able to use their Dexterity modifier to attack with.

Pretty much all animals that have their Dex higher than their Str have the Weapon Finesse feat.

~

It is worth noting that since Tibbits are Monstrous Humanoids, they are automatically proficient with all Simple Weapons along with their natural weapons. This info can be found in the Monster Manuals and is a small boon to the class if you decided to pick that race in order to play a Tibbit Psion.

*Edit*

I'm not very familiar with all of the rules for Polymorph, but the spell says it functions like the spell Alter Self. Alter Self has you acquire the phsycial qualities of a new form including racial bonus feats. It's described on pg 197 of the PHB. Because of that, I'd say that you should gain weapon finesse while in cat form.

As a DM I'd allow weapon finesse while in cat form anyway, but all of the rules involving polymorph are a huge headache.

Elboxo
2011-10-29, 08:42 PM
Even animals have to use weapon finesse to be able to use their Dexterity modifier to attack with.

Pretty much all animals that have their Dex higher than their Str have the Weapon Finesse feat.

~

It is worth noting that since Tibbits are Monstrous Humanoids, they are automatically proficient with all Simple Weapons along with their natural weapons. This info can be found in the Monster Manuals and is a small boon to the class if you decided to pick that race in order to play a Tibbit Psion.

*Edit*

I'm not very familiar with all of the rules for Polymorph, but the spell says it functions like the spell Alter Self. Alter Self has you acquire the phsycial qualities of a new form including racial bonus feats. It's described on pg 197 of the PHB. Because of that, I'd say that you should gain weapon finesse while in cat form.

As a DM I'd allow weapon finesse while in cat form anyway, but all of the rules involving polymorph are a huge headache.

Right thanks, because we had been going on the rules of the fact that it did not say you gained weapon finesse...... I'll refer to the rules on alter self, thank you!